Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2021, 15:45   #46
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Wine snobbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Though I think Blue Nun should be reported to someone it isn't blue it's white.

Think the "Blue" is more likely in reference to the character of the one who decided to make it (probably had to do years of Hail marys & our fathers as repentance), than an actual descrption of the wine.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:02   #47

This is not quite a Penfold story but it’s a wine one of sorts and I hope it makes at least some of you laugh. A number of years ago when my youngest daughter was still living at home, she filled an empty wine bottle with water and put a lot of red food colouring in it. When my husband got home after having had a few ales with some mates at the end of a hard day’s work, my daughter asked him if he would like a glass of wine with his meal. He declined. Later that evening she said ‘dad, wouldn’t you like a really nice glass of wine to relax with?’ and he said that if it would make her happy then he would have one.

My daughter poured out a glass of the coloured water and gave it to him. We were in the background waiting for his reaction when he took his first drink of it, but (as I have said) he had already enjoyed a few beers and he drank the glass of ‘wine’ without comment. My daughter asked him what he had thought of it. He replied that it was ok but he had thought it was a bit weak….it was then he heard our uncontrollable laughter. Took him a while to live that one down, was definitely not a wine snob and certainly not an expert.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:16   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Although I did once get legless on a glass (yes...just one glass) of Vinsanto in Santorini(this is technically red, but it is more like Port)...and far stronger than it tastes
it was more than a glass but it happened to me as an early teen. had some proper alcoholic cyder in the house which i thought was just the normal pop. i,ll leave the rest to your imaginations.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:24   #49
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Think the "Blue" is more likely in reference to the character of the one who decided to make it (probably had to do years of Hail marys & our fathers as repentance), than an actual descrption of the wine.
If you say so...

Mind you I think it could be a habit I would like to get into...
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:17   #50
God Member

the words,Blue Nun, makes me think of some benny hill type sketch in my mind in one of those chase scenes. high heels, stockings and suspenders and thats just the mother superior.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:13   #51

I apologise in advance for being slightly off topic but this thread has had me racking by brain for several days since the mention of 'Blue Nun'. My first reaction when I saw the name but before I read the context was 'that was what my grandfather smoked'. Obviously this was not right and after days of serious head scratching I have come to the conclusion that his pipe tobacco was probably 'Three Nuns'. Can anyone confirm that there used to be a pipe tobacco of this name sold in round screw top tins about three inches in diameter?

Last edited by Hill Walker; 08-07-2021 at 10:20. Reason: Corrected typo
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:33   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
I apologise in advance for being slightly off topic but this thread has had me racking by brain for several days since the mention of 'Blue Nun'. My first reaction when I saw the name but before I read the context was 'that was what my grandfather smoked'. Obviously this was not right and after days of serious head scratching I have come to the conclusion that his pipe tobacco was probably 'Three Nuns'. Can anyone confirm that there used to be a pipe tobacco of this name sold in round screw top tins about three inches in diameter?
im sure there was.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:52   #53
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
I apologise in advance for being slightly off topic but this thread has had me racking by brain for several days since the mention of 'Blue Nun'. My first reaction when I saw the name but before I read the context was 'that was what my grandfather smoked'. Obviously this was not right and after days of serious head scratching I have come to the conclusion that his pipe tobacco was probably 'Three Nuns'. Can anyone confirm that there used to be a pipe tobacco of this name sold in round screw top tins about three inches in diameter.
Never heard of it!

It costs a bit more these days.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:32   #54

Cashman, Less - thank you so much, now I see it the yellowish tin is the familiar one. My brain can now relax, its been like having one of those annoyingly addictive songs or jingles endlessly playing in it. I even spent hours in the garage going through all the tins of nails, nuts, bolts and washers etc that I inherited from my parents shed, lots of memories there but no Three Nuns.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:35   #55
God Member

wonder if there is a reference somewhere back in the mists of time about three nuns. does seem an odd name for tobacco as well as for a pub between brighouse and mirfield on the A62 that has been there for years.
Old 09-07-2021, 13:51   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
wonder if there is a reference somewhere back in the mists of time about three nuns. does seem an odd name for tobacco as well as for a pub between brighouse and mirfield on the A62 that has been there for years.

If someone doesn't enlighten you as a result of the above posting call in the pub next time you are near. I've been quite surprised over the years at how many older pubs have a notice (often attached to an old photo) that gives a very brief history of the pub. If such a notice is not obvious ask the landlord. A proper landlord will usually know the pubs history although unfortunately modern business practices have tended to replace proper landlords with managers who tend to know only what the course taught them.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:26   #57
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post

Is this the one MH?

https://www.mirfieldreporter.co.uk/n...akhouse-783475
Old 11-07-2021, 08:28   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
cheers for that. hate these name changes for pubs you get nowadays. none of them seem to be for the better. suppose a reference to a christian group of women does not go down too well with non drinkers of another eastern religeon in todays twisted world.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..