Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2004, 18:13   #31
Resting in Peace

i will show it you next time you are up this end of the country
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2004, 19:35   #32

See if Thwaites have an e-mail address and send the pic to them. They may give you better ideas - www.thwaites.co.uk
Old 20-02-2004, 06:12   #33
Resting in Peace

Thanks Neal i will take a look and see what i can find out
Old 09-03-2004, 13:27   #34
Senior Member+

Re: Witherspoons Pub

If it's any help at this late stage,I know what it is...it's a Thwaites commemorative medal type thing,I have one that I won when on a winning team in the Thwaites pub quiz league.Value;approx zilch!
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 13:41   #35
Resting in Peace

thanks for the info about what year were they given out
Old 27-03-2004, 15:15   #36
mac
I am Banned

think a witherspoons would be good for accy. been to a few dotted across the country. they are great. as for added tax. stupid idea. dont agree with that at all. we pay enough for beer as it is.
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 14:09   #37

i would love a witherspoons in accy, us students need to save money where ever we can!

I def don't agree with added tax !!

ab
asfc babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 15:23   #38
mac
I am Banned

big up asfc babe. how much of a babe are you?
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:46   #39

Good to see people discussing pubs, a great British institution.

Wetherspoons are a good idea for large towns, or for places with no decent pubs eg. Nelson, Blackburn town centre. They sell great beer at sensible prices and attract a fairly decent crowd. It's good to have a variety of decent places to drink.
The problem in England is that we have so many people who do not not how to behave in public, and town centre pubs which encourage noisy, aggressive behaviour.
Baudelaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:57   #40

Got a few down here, they do damn good food!
savo is back. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 13:03   #41
God Member

They are nothing more than soulless, barren drinking warehouses....MacDonalds with a booze license. They destroy the traditional pubs & create more havoc than they're worth. I would rather abstain than drink in a wetherspoons cesspit.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 13:14   #42
Senior Member+

C'mon Tealeaf,they aren't that bad,the Postal Order in Blackburn sells loads of real ales and is highly regarded by the rea l ale buffs!
Old 01-04-2004, 13:27   #43
God Member

I take it you are referring to the building that once housed the crown post office on Darwen Street? Very good....well, I remember when that was once in an area containing a variety of pubs, all with their different character & bohemie.....it was a pleasure to spend an evening visiting hostelry after hostelry on a circuit colloquially known as the "Barbary Coast"... and what do we have now? A monstrous gimmick dreamt up by an overpaid marketing man.."the postal stamp"....and nothing else.

Pass me a paper bag, please - I want to be sick.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 14:11   #44

mac: I'm all babe!

ab
asfc babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 12:42   #45

The main problem is not with the Postal Order, but with the serious decline in the rest of the pubs around that area. It used to be a great pub crawl around Blackburn - Courts, Adelphi, Vulcan, Peel, Same's Vaults ....
Now all you've got are soulless hovels full of obnoxious drunks and smack heads.
Baudelaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..