Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2021, 07:48   #1

Word of the Year for 2021

The word of the year for 2021 has been decided, as below, and I thought it would be interesting (?) to know what members would choose as the word of the year if asked. Preferably, of course, not one that is unacceptable on Accy Web.

In the UK and according to the Oxford English Dictionary the word of the year for 2021 is ‘vax’, though according to the Cambridge Dictionary the word is ‘perseverance’.

Here in Australia the word is ‘strollout’ – the meaning of this being ‘the slow implementation of the COVID-19 vaccination programme in Australia’. Apparently the vaccine programme was not a rollout but a stroilout, hence the word being coined. Have to say that I have never heard this word being used, and I don’t know anyone who has.

Now it's over to you.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-11-2021, 09:04   #2

Re: Word of the Year for 2021

After a number of our Government Ministers have been accused of the accrual of monies by dodgy means I think "Sleazeball" is the go too word of 2021.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 10:25   #3
God Member

Lies. We have heard more than usual and thats saying something.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 11:44   #4
Beacon of light

Statistics…..
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 00:29   #5

I have a number of words that could be the word of the year because of either overuse or the way things are, but as I couldn’t choose just the one word (though I do like bulldust, codswallop, and perfidious – which so well describes some people who should know better), I have chosen a mock Latin phrase of three words, which is really a bit of advice.

“Illegitimi non carborundum” and for those of you who have not come across this before (you haven’t!) and don’t have access to Mr Google, the translation is ‘don’t let the bast**** grind you down’. Enough said…..
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 18-11-2021, 03:55   #6

This thread started me looking at new words that have come into being recently. One which I think is great is ‘fluffernutter’. No, it is not a crazy person going around passing wind, it’s actually a new food word meaning ‘a sandwich made with peanut butter and marshmallow crème between two slices of white sandwich bread’. Only in America!

I would think too many of these would make you pass more than wind.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 18-11-2021, 04:49   #7

There’s no stopping me now, sorry about that. Here’s a word that might interest some of you and that is ‘quilling’ Although this word also has another meaning, it was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2020 with the definition ‘the action or practice of bribing electors in order to gain their votes, especially by providing alcohol’ . Sorry to have to tell you but this practice is now banned under electoral law.

‘Awesomesauce’ means extremely good, excellent. ‘Nomophobia’ is a person’s fear of being without their phone or not able to use it, and ‘bumfuzzle’ is not relating to a hairy backside but means confused, perplexed, or flustered….

….and yes, you don’t need to tell me because I know – I need to get a life.
cashman, Bob Dobson and taddy like this.
Old 18-11-2021, 09:13   #8
God Member

Hypocrisy.

Again.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 14:59   #9
Beacon of light

Sleaze.
Old 18-11-2021, 16:13   #10

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1259593]Sleaze.

Hey, don't pinch half of my word.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 17:46   #11
Beacon of light

Oops Sorry Taddy…I saw it but it was too late to change it.
Anyway yours was Sleazeball…mine was just sleaze….I think they are different….sleaze is what a Sleazeball indulges in.
taddy likes this.
Old 18-11-2021, 22:03   #12

U-turn...I don't remember anytime in my life a government got it so wrong, so often.
dotti34 likes this.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 19:57   #13

Petfishing, seriously I had never heard of it.

https://www.lancs.live/news/uk-world...e-uks-22213514

:
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 10:15   #14
God Member

[QUOTE=odders;1259657]Petfishing, seriously I had never heard of it.

same here. think they make these words up as they feal like it. on the broader issue of animal ownership just why dont people rescue an animal. our last 4 have been rescue dogs and you have not the problem with young animals for a start. giving em a good home and watching their development with you is far better than even making a reputable kennel or catery even richer.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 11:14   #15
Beacon of light

Gaslighting….what is that?
And cat fishing….these terms mean nothing to me….I am the wrong generation…obviously

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..