Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How many jobs have you had in your lifetime?
1-3 jobs 3 11.11%
4-7 jobs 8 29.63%
8-10 jobs 11 40.74%
10-15 jobs 2 7.41%
15-20 jobs 1 3.70%
I've lost count of how many jobs I have had 1 3.70%
I have never worked 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2011, 11:21   #1
God Member

Work work work

I was watching a programme on the BBC yesterday called Working Girls which basically has two girls each week who don't work and have in some cases never worked by the age of 20-23yrs of age. I was discussing with my boyfriend the number of jobs we have both had (I'm 22 and he is 21) and it turns out I have had 14 or 15 jobs and he has had 4. We've both been in full time education up until July last year and are both planning on returning to university next year. Whilst he's only had 4 jobs ever I'm on my 4th job since July due to doing temporary jobs and moving around quite a bit.

How many jobs have you had in your lifetime (different employers or different job roles, define it as you wish) and do you think it is better in this economic climate to be a "jack of all trades" and move around roles like me or to be in a more long term position with a company?

I've not been unemployed for more than 2 weeks at a time and I haven't been in receipt of any benefits like JSA as I feel it is anti-productive to finding work unless you ca motivate people to use it literally to find work. I personally wouldn't use it correctly so I just don't bother using tax payers money that way, even though I have paid my taxes and national insurance. I just feel that I'll probably need it in more valuable ways in the future so I'd rather not be wasteful now.

Anyway, I'm just curious what the attitude is towards work in general. You're my favourite people to ask this sort of thing so I thought I'd make a rare appearance!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2011, 11:41   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Work work work

My first job was in the accounts office at Curry's........I'm not sure how on earth I got this job because I was rubbish at maths(or sums as we called them at the time).
I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either(all those big accounts ledgers)...and left before they could give me the push.

My second job was for Slingers Butchers. I worked in the little shop on Peel street, at the edge of the then, brand new market.......I was 16 and stayed at that job for a couple of years.

Third Job.......I went to work at David Whiteheads weaving mill in Rawtenstall.......first as a battery filler.....phew, that was really hard work. Then I got my own set of 24 Northrop Automatic Jacquard looms. I wove mattress tickings for Slumberland.
I must have been fairly good because I was put in an experimental shed where they had new shuttle less looms.......weaving beautiful material, I thought it was for bridal gowns.......it was really for the inside of coffins.

This job came to an end when the place closed down and the company relocated to South Africa. Some of the workers were given the opportunity to move out to SA...but I had just got married and couldn't really do that so I got a job at Enfield Manufacturing Co.
What is now, Ossy Mills....this was working on Lancashire looms. Not to my taste at all.
Boring twills and dobbies, though they did make table cloths for large hotels and even(I was told) Buckingham Palace.
I left there because I was pregnant with my daughter.
I had 18 months of staying at home.
Then I worked for the Carborundum Company in Clayton........I stayed there for 4 years.
It was hard work and very dusty and dirty. I looked like a grey ghost coming home.

I decided in 1973 to train to be a Nurse. Qualified in 1977 and worked for the NHS for 25 years.......retired in 2002.

That is my work history.
I only ever claimed benefits during the power strikes.......we were laid off so many days a week and had to sign on........didn't like that at all.
Like you Blazey, I feel that it can be counter productive to make idleness a way of life, a career option. I am not averse to giving a helping hand, but there should be a time limit on how long someone remains on benefits.
It should never be more profitable to draw benefits that go out to work.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 19-03-2011 at 11:43.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 11:52   #3
God Member

Your first job reminded me of the one I've just had! I have recently been working for the Child Support Agency as a finance case worker, working out maintenance and arrears and then putting 40% deductions on people directly from their wages. EDIT: I forgot my point; I can't do maths very well either, though I used to love it at school!

Gruesome work. I quit the job due to their unethical practices (even I have my limits) and will now be working at a lovely garden centre instead starting from Monday.

Last edited by blazey; 19-03-2011 at 11:53. Reason: forgot my point
Old 19-03-2011, 11:54   #4
Beacon of light

Good luck with that.
I wouldn't be any good with plants or flowers...even my plastic plants die on me........
It's a good job I had a better track record with patients.
Old 19-03-2011, 11:58   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Good luck with that.
I wouldn't be any good with plants or flowers...even my plastic plants die on me........
It's a good job I had a better track record with patients.
It is only a seasonal job, then I just need something to tide me over until October and then I am back to University to do a masters degree in social work for two years!
Old 19-03-2011, 12:02   #6
God Member

I started at 14 with a Saturday job at a cafe in Accrington, i went on to work in 7 nursing/care homes throughout Lancashire from being 16, did 2 days a week in college whilst working, had Reece, did lots of voluntary work in school, the local Community centre and Charity shops in the time he was growing up so i didn't sit on my lazy backside completely for 14 years, now i'm looking for a 'proper' job
Old 19-03-2011, 12:25   #7
Beacon of light

You have lots of work experience Shaz.....good luck in the search.
I just hope you find something that you enjoy.
Old 19-03-2011, 13:03   #8
Senior Member+

I left school at 16 as I hated it, got qualifications and left pronto, got a job working for a delivery company and stayed there for a few years, went to college and done horticultural work/training/study and got the relevant qualifications in that..
I then began working at focus diy in glasgow as a skivvy in the warehouse and soon become warehouse manager, it was at that point that someone looked at my cv and realised I would be better suited in their garden centre so I was given the garden centre managers job..stayed there for 7 years
due to meeting mrs gg I then moved through to edinburgh, no store transfer so left and began working for a huge clinical trials company which was a the best company I have ever worked for in many ways - I soon became the warehouse/qc trainer but I sadly left that position as I was relocating to the northwest - had it not been for moving I would still be there today..
I then began working at bibby in blackburn and foolishly left there to work at the doomed lancashire homes and gardens as a dept manager..as it was starting to go pop I applied for my current job where I have been for 7 years..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 14:09   #9
Resting in Peace

I've had around 15 jobs probably more, I just went were the best money was, also work self employed for a while as well
Old 19-03-2011, 14:38   #10
Beacon of light

I acknowledge that getting a job is hard these days......it wasn't easy for the likes of Cashy Jaysay and myself.......we were all of a similar era........those children born after the war finished, baby boomers....all leaving school at 15 with no paper qualifications, factory fodder.....and todays youngsters leaving school seem so much more worldly wise than we were(or was that just me?)
Todays youngsters all seem to have more(for the want of a better word....and I mean it in the best possible sense) cheek!

I had never heard of a CV....you just turned up for a job and tried to impress.......and if you got the job, then you made sure that you gave it your best shot.
Or is my perspective skewed by the passage of time?
I'm sure there will be those out there who will tell me if it is .
Old 19-03-2011, 14:58   #11

I have been very fortunate in my working life to have had 4 jobs that I have really enjoyed.
When I started work after leaving school I decided that I would like to work part time on 2 seperate jobs and have been in my job as a Library Assistant since 1974 firstly at the public library and for the past 31 years at the local college firstly in Rawtenstall until that closed and am now at Broad Oak.

My 2nd job was for the Lancashire Countryside Service based at Clough Head Information Centre on the Grane Road and I spent 12 years there and have to say that job was a real pleasure and only left due to the Centre closing and becomiing a cafe

On leaving Clough Head I went to work in a local museum in Rawtenstall and am still on the books even though I don't do regular shifts anymore.

And lastly for the past 10 years I have been teaching family history and running local history sessions to groups in the Haslingden/Rossendale areas and am enjoying every single minute of it

With all my jobs I have found one reason why I have enjoyed them so much and that is that when someone comes through the door for help you never know what you are going to be asked and no 2 days have ever been the same

As far as I am concerned I am lucky to have never been out of work or had to draw benefits and I really do feel for the people who are genuine and want to work but have no time for the ones who think it is their right not to work and live of the system.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 15:42   #12
God Member

As you say Marg, i have a lot of experience but unfortunately i have no RECENT experience and thats what employers look for now
Old 19-03-2011, 15:43   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
tide me over until October and then I am back to University to do a masters degree in social work for two years!
Is this your way of gently telling us you are no longer persuing the law degree?

You never did tell us how your exam results turned out.

I do hope this time, you get good enough results to earn enough to support yourself and the tax payers you are borrowing this latest 'career move', expense from.

Only joking, I know you will apply yourself in a similar manner to your last University course.

(Note to self, don't go for early retirement, Blazey is trying again, someone has to pay for it).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 16:06   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
As you say Marg, i have a lot of experience but unfortunately i have no RECENT experience and thats what employers look for now

It is a real shame Shaz, experience is experience, however long ago.
I know when I did interviews I would take into consideration the fact that someone had life experience.
Old 19-03-2011, 17:24   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is a real shame Shaz, experience is experience, however long ago.
I know when I did interviews I would take into consideration the fact that someone had life experience.
exact same for me also..when I did interviews I always looked at experience..
for me life experience in whatever genre of work is far better than someone who has their head in a book for a few years in that genre of work...you can always tell those who are quoting from a book and those who are speaking from experience..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..