Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 18:22   #16
God Member

Re: World Maths Day Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
No Reece Owen taught Chemistry
Mr Owen, chemistry teacher, lived on Catlow Hall St adjacent to St Marys church.

I recall going to his son's birthday party (in late 1940's or early 50s) and Mr Owen entertained us with chemical trickery such as invisible ink.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2013, 18:24   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Mr Owen, chemistry teacher, lived on Catlow Hall St adjacent to St Marys church.

I recall going to his son's birthday party (in late 1940's or early 50s) and Mr Owen entertained us with chemical trickery such as invisible ink.
I remember one day in the lab ,he tried to pick up a " magnet" from the wooden floor, only it was a hole in the floorboards
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 18:29   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I was friends with his Daughter Rehanan (not sure of the spelling)
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:07   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was friends with his Daughter Rehanan (not sure of the spelling)
Well it is a welsh name
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:00   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Well it is a welsh name
Ya but did I spell it right Frank
Old 08-03-2013, 09:05   #21
God Member

Quote:
Ya but did I spell it right Frank
No

Rhiannon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:28   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thanks Margaret, it was quite close really, well for me it was
Eric likes this.
Old 08-03-2013, 13:27   #23
God Member

Quote:
Thanks Margaret, it was quite close really, well for me it was
Yes ... you are getting better ... but you will no doubt create new gems with your magic keyboard Whatever, there were two Owens, E. J "Gobbin" Owen, and R. P. (Rhys Prys??) Owen, who taught chemistry. Great teacher, with a wonderful Welsh accent. Nobody could say "Avogadro's hypothesis" like he could. His son, Rhys, was in my year at Accy Grammar. And his daughter, from what I remember, was a real sweetie.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 14:41   #24
God Member

I know that this might seem like a wander ... I'm good at that ... but today is International Womens' Day. And if we had a new thread for every "Day" we would have, well, one a day; so, I don't think it will hurt to tack it onto this thread. Instead of celebrating my b'day on Dec 1, we could celebrate International Aids Awareness day I was wondering if World Maths Day has spurred anyone into developing a mathematics for men, so that they can understand women.

By the by, I notice that women in Saudi Arabia still don't have the vote; so, I guess the celebrating of IWD will not be a big item in the muslim world.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:37   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
By the by, I notice that women in Saudi Arabia still don't have the vote; so, I guess the celebrating of IWD will not be a big item in the muslim world.
It won't get much backing within my little world either.

This will be the tip of the ice-berg give them one day for themselves and the next thing you know, they'll be wanting to make the Scold's Bridle illegal.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:16   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yes ... you are getting better ... but you will no doubt create new gems with your magic keyboard Whatever, there were two Owens, E. J "Gobbin" Owen, and R. P. (Rhys Prys??) Owen, who taught chemistry. Great teacher, with a wonderful Welsh accent. Nobody could say "Avogadro's hypothesis" like he could. His son, Rhys, was in my year at Accy Grammar. And his daughter, from what I remember, was a real sweetie.
Rhiannon certainly was Eric, she went to the same youth club as me for quite a few years, until like most of my crew in those days, flew of to University around 63/64
Old 18-03-2013, 02:08   #27

I was always absolutely rubbish at maths. I got even more rubbish once it was established that I was rubbish, because my Father took to trying to help me with it but he's a very impatient person and it often ended in shouting and yelling at me when I didn't pick something up quickly.

I was 'scared' of maths after this, which made it worse because I associated it with being shouted at and feeling bad about not being good at it, I kind of avoided it and as I got older I approached it again and found I wasn't so bad at it after all, now I wasn't feeling like I was bad for not being good at it!
Having said that, It's not affected me much. I second the algebra thing, and most of what I was taught in Maths at school makes no sense now whatsoever and has never been something I've needed to be good at.
I think it's over-rated and over-emphasised in teaching, regarded as a very important subject. Why does society need loads of people to be really good at maths?Just as we don't need a large massive number of astronauts or sociologists or people who are experts in other fields, why do we need everybody to be brilliant at Maths?
Old 18-03-2013, 07:34   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
why do we need everybody to be brilliant at Maths?
It just doesn't add up does it?
Sunflower49 likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 07:43   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I was always absolutely rubbish at maths. I got even more rubbish once it was established that I was rubbish, because my Father took to trying to help me with it but he's a very impatient person and it often ended in shouting and yelling at me when I didn't pick something up quickly.

I was 'scared' of maths after this, which made it worse because I associated it with being shouted at and feeling bad about not being good at it, I kind of avoided it and as I got older I approached it again and found I wasn't so bad at it after all, now I wasn't feeling like I was bad for not being good at it!
Having said that, It's not affected me much. I second the algebra thing, and most of what I was taught in Maths at school makes no sense now whatsoever and has never been something I've needed to be good at.
I think it's over-rated and over-emphasised in teaching, regarded as a very important subject. Why does society need loads of people to be really good at maths?Just as we don't need a large massive number of astronauts or sociologists or people who are experts in other fields, why do we need everybody to be brilliant at Maths?
Comes in handy on pay day though
Old 18-03-2013, 12:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
My pal Walter had a saying " The older I get the better I Was"
I love that quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It just doesn't add up does it?
Lol as I said, I wouldn't know I'm too rubbish to sum that up

Quote:
Comes in handy on pay day though
Lol I guess so-but then I have a calculator on my 'phone for such purposes (I don't even always need to use it)!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..