Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2013, 21:48   #76
Senior Member+

Re: World Maths Day Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Come up stanley next home game n have a pint bought fer yeh, possibly even 2.
I love it when a plan comes together, do i have to watch the game though?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2013, 21:50   #77
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
rocket fuel in the greyhound.
Is that to make it go faster?
Old 20-03-2013, 21:50   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Is that the regular bitter in there? I regularly have a couple of prematch pints and I can't say I've noticed the effects. Maybe I'm not drinking enough of it?
Maybe it`s changed now, been a while since I was in there, it was under £1.50 a pint and it was lager that i`d never heard of.
Old 20-03-2013, 21:51   #79
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Is that to make it go faster?
Definitely used to slow me down to a virtual stop.
Old 20-03-2013, 21:55   #80
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe it`s changed now, been a while since I was in there, it was under £1.50 a pint and it was lager that i`d never heard of.
Ah right, I stick to bitter myself!
Old 20-03-2013, 22:00   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I get it. I was confused-I thought algebra was an actual mathematical theory involving numbers and letters-which my brain didn't entertain the logic of!I used to sit there thinking 'Maths is numbers. English is letters-what's the deal with mixing the beggars up?!?'

In the above situation I could work that out-I'm not THAT bad but never thought of it as algebra.
That just shows that the problem was really with the teacher, it`s the teachers job to find a way to make the student understand, I must have had a good teacher cos i found maths easy, and i`ve explained it the way it was explained to me, if you`d had my maths teacher you`d probably have walked through the exams.
Old 20-03-2013, 22:05   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
But c= a divided by b. So you're both right.

20 divided by 4= 5 is arithmetic.
a divided by b =c, values known and unknown, is algebra.
*I* got something right!

Quote:
That just shows that the problem was really with the teacher, it`s the teachers job to find a way to make the student understand, I must have had a good teacher cos i found maths easy, and i`ve explained it the way it was explained to me, if you`d had my maths teacher you`d probably have walked through the exams.
It kind of, wasn't explained at all! From what I remember it was kind of ' Here, do this'!
I got a D and needed a C for 'A' levels but I got around it by saying I would re-takeGCSE Maths alongside the 'A' Levels. The college Maths room was freezing and noisy and I decided I couldn't be bothered with it so I left after one lesson.
Old 20-03-2013, 22:15   #83
Senior Member+

Quote:
It kind of, wasn't explained at all! From what I remember it was kind of ' Here, do this'!
That`s just someone not even interested in doing there job properly? If you were in america you could probably sue.
Old 20-03-2013, 22:30   #84

Haha probably!

Some people are naturally better than others, though. As I said my being not good at Maths became such a huge deal in my family, if I sound like a 'diva' I apologise but I was actually scared of it-I never dare even ask a teacher if I was stuck because I felt so bad about myself for being bad at it and thought the teacher would shout at me and think I was stupid.

I excelled in English and other subjects so I just concentrated on those and hid away in Maths classes pretending I wasn't there lol.

After I left school and went to college I realised I wasn't ever going to be 'good' at Maths but I was nowhere near as bad as I had thought. It was a very happy revelation
Old 20-03-2013, 22:42   #85
Senior Member+

I think the problem is, people see maths as a scary subject, something they dismiss too easily, not saying this is you, but i`ve seen it within my own family, and the problem i find is with the way they are taught.
A while ago, my step daughter was having trouble with long multiplication, I asked her to show me how she would work out a simple long multiplication sum and it`s no wonder she couldn`t do it.
The way she was shown at school was so complicated it was unbelievable.
I showed her how I was shown at school, job done, she knew how to do it.
Old 20-03-2013, 22:55   #86

You're right-I think my Dad was definitely the basis of the problem! And I am very much an advocate of it being the way you teach it.

There's things I've taught to friends and family-I'm talking just every day things but it's the same principle-such as my Grandmother who was adamant she wouldn't get a mobile 'phone-we were all worried about her not being contactable, and she wasn't having it-she'd never get it, etc..People had given up on her ever getting one but I think they just didn't understand WHY she didn't understand and I took time to.

I sat down with her for around an hour and ran her through how they worked-how to use hers, what things meant etc and she's never off the thing now
Old 20-03-2013, 22:59   #87
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: World Maths Day Today

Quote:
You're right-I think my Dad was definitely the basis of the problem! And I am very much an advocate of it being the way you teach it.

There's things I've taught to friends and family-I'm talking just every day things but it's the same principle-such as my Grandmother who was adamant she wouldn't get a mobile 'phone-we were all worried about her not being contactable, and she wasn't having it-she'd never get it, etc..People had given up on her ever getting one but I think they just didn't understand WHY she didn't understand and I took time to.

I sat down with her for around an hour and ran her through how they worked-how to use hers, what things meant etc and she's never off the thing now
That`s exactly what is needed. A bit of one on one.
Old 21-03-2013, 08:34   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think you under estimate just how much you use things like algebra, most of us will use it on a regular basis.
A quick example -
You are in the pub, you have £20 to spend on drinks, drinks cost £4 each, how many drinks can you afford.
What the hell has that got to do with algebra
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 08:44   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What the hell has that got to do with algebra
Didn't realize this thread had taken off when I made the above post. Still can't see where algebra comes in, to me its just straight division 20 divided by 4 equals 5 simples, why complicate it saying its algebra
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 08:59   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Didn't realize this thread had taken off when I made the above post. Still can't see where algebra comes in, to me its just straight division 20 divided by 4 equals 5 simples, why complicate it saying its algebra
Just labelling it as algebra doesn`t make it more complicated, it`s just a simple example of how we use it everyday without knowing it.
Algebra is basically arithmatic where the unknown number is in the wrong place.
2+1=? is just basic arithmatic
2+?=3 is basic algebra.
Just in school, they teach with letters first, then tell you what to swap the letters with to get the answer.
a+b=c
if a=2 and c=3, what is b.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..