Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2012, 21:11   #16
I am Banned

Re: Worse than The Depression - says Maundy founder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ok ... I know I could go to Google, but what is Maundy Grange
A Junkies paradise in Abbey St, Accrington, facing the end of Tasker St & Queen St, some do gooders have taken over most of the adjacent shops selling furiture & other rubbish, in the name of Maundy Grange, her little place is set back from the main road on the Eastern side of Abbey St.

Retlaw,
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2012, 21:21   #17
Beacon of light

Most Saturday mornings I see Dorothy MacGregor hoofing it up Infant street with bags loaded up(I am told that M&S give them their leftovers) Wouldn't you think on of the able bodied people who get the benefits of her labours, would come down with her and give her a hand with the bags...after all it is them that are going to be eating it
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 21:25   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
A Junkies paradise in Abbey St, Accrington, facing the end of Tasker St & Queen St, some do gooders have taken over most of the adjacent shops selling furiture & other rubbish, in the name of Maundy Grange, her little place is set back from the main road on the Eastern side of Abbey St.

Retlaw,
As I don't live local - are these shops squatted or rented by her?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 21:28   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ok ... I know I could go to Google, but what is Maundy Grange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
She is old enough to have seen with her own eyes, the effects of the 30's depression, whilst she thinks she is helping the poor, she isn't, she's just helping the junkies to keep on being junkies, and no way is she running all those shops, seems like some do gooders have found their niche.

Retlaw.
I had heard a little about it Eric on my last trip over to Accy in April. Found it slightly disconcerting that something like this organisation is taking over a large space in the town. It smacks a little of some kind of sect to me...certain religious groups prey on the weak.
In Garinda's first post he mentions "St. Dorothy". I did Google it, as i have limited knowledge and was worried by what i read and the posed "Saintly" photos of this Dorothy person smacked of some kind of cult to me, very like the images of catholic Saints and Martyrs. Testimonials of "abuse" victims etc reinforced the idea that they are in some way trying to attract people with problems.
My friend's mother-in-law had recently changed her dining room furniture and offered the old stuff to this group only to be told it wasn't what people wanted these days -too old-fashioned -she was taken aback as, if someone is in need -a table is a table, surely.
I read that this person is 77 therefore she cannot have witnessed the difficulties of the Depression -would have been a babe I think. To compare today's problems with those of the 30's is blinkered to say the least - there is no country in the world that gives support to all as much as the UK does, no-one in Britain has to be truly in need as the State supports all its citizens.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 21:34   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
As I don't live local - are these shops squatted or rented by her?

Who knows.

As they expand, others move out, and they expand further.

They are a registered charity, so will benefit finacially from all the perks that entails, including very reduced rates...if any.

The Observer are running a campaign urging other businesses to be drop off points, so people can leave donated stuff there.

The expansion continues.

Oh, and our council give her their full backing.

Seeing it all as some tourist draw.

It is.

For smack-heads.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 21:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Wouldn't you think on of the able bodied people who get the benefits of her labours, would come down with her and give her a hand with the bags...after all it is them that are going to be eating it
Margaret you are so right. I really feel sorry for her that these users are taking her for such a mug
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 22:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
Margaret you are so right. I really feel sorry for her that these users are taking her for such a mug
I honestly don't think that there's any need to feel sorry for her.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 22:05   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I agree wi Anne, Its the traders whose businesses are declining cos of this lot, that i feel sorry for.
Old 15-06-2012, 22:06   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
She allows herself to be used.

For whatever reasons, why she does what she does, she acts as a facilitator.

She allows the problem to fester, instead of lancing the infection.

Still struggling to find out how many registered drug users there were in Accrington, in the thirties.

Probably easier to look for statistics about how many anorexics there were in Ethiopia, in the 1980's.

Old 15-06-2012, 22:09   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I honestly don't think that there's any need to feel sorry for her.
She'll be getting her reward up in Heaven, whilst down on Earth, Accrington's closed for business.

Old 15-06-2012, 22:10   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Who knows.

As they expand, others move out, and they expand further.

They are a registered charity, so will benefit finacially from all the perks that entails, including very reduced rates...if any.

The Observer are running a campaign urging other businesses to be drop off points, so people can leave donated stuff there.

The expansion continues.

Oh, and our council give her their full backing.

Seeing it all as some tourist draw.

It is.

For smack-heads.
It's backed by the church isn't it so it's an official charity. There are several places like this all round the country now they give out food parcels that last about 3 days for people on benefits who have a letter from a GP or Social Worker proving they are on benefits etc. There is one lot who stand out side my local Sainsbury's asking people to donate food on their way out!

So what's wrong with helping people? Junky or no junky!
Old 15-06-2012, 22:13   #27
God Member

http://www.maundyrelief.co.uk/

(I was about to say more but it would cause offense to some christians)

PS - do they have an equivalent of 22 virgins?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 22:15   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I agree wi Anne, Its the traders whose businesses are declining cos of this lot, that i feel sorry for.
Why are traders losing business because of her? She's not selling anything cheaper just giving stuff away to those in poverty!
Old 15-06-2012, 22:19   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
It's backed by the church isn't it so it's an official charity. There are several places like this all round the country now they give out food parcels that last about 3 days for people on benefits who have a letter from a GP or Social Worker proving they are on benefits etc. There is one lot who stand out side my local Sainbury's asking people to donate food on their way out!

So what's wrong with helping people? Junky or no junky!
There's nothing wrong with helping the needy.

That's why we created the Welfare State, some years after the Great Depression had ended.

Giving money, to someone saying they need money to pay a bill, then going outside to score drugs, as I've seen with my own eyes, helps no one.

Not the user, and certainly not the town.

Any criticism of the ex-nun's 'good works' risks a holy contract being taken out on you.

Be warned.

Luckily I'm already doomed.

Old 15-06-2012, 22:20   #30
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
(I was about to say more but it would cause offense to some christians)
Fill yer' boots, It is UK after all & as such it's okay, now if you're going to be talking about the religion of peace .... well, whole different ball game!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..