Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2012, 23:45   #46

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Worse than The Depression - says Maundy founder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There are two long established interiors businesses, that I know of, that closed because their staff and customers didn't like getting hassled.

It's also the reason Whalley's Maureen Cookson decided against taking over Gene Sutcliffe's.

You shop much in Accy?

I'm one of the few, who still do.

Spend thirty minutes outside the post office.

See if you like the pestering, hassle, and abuse you get from those off their heads, who are winding their way to the open arms of St. Dorothy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats crap using the fact people furnished homes wi second hand tat, I did meself, bought from second hand shops n friends that were selling stuff, The object was to avoid getting stuff on the never never, a good concept in my book that many now would do well to learn. As yer not around here now, yeh have really no concept of what occurs on Abbey St, pretty regular these days.
As I've said before..I avoid shopping in the town centre like the plague, because Tesco/Asda have more variety in different nappies than Accrington has in different shops.

No reason to doubt either of you guys..so I'll concede
Old 15-06-2012, 23:47   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
No.. now this is were you go wrong...you have been told by Garinda what is acceptable to post and if you differ you will be dealt with
No...I am merely stating what I thought - that Garinda must spend a lot of time keeping his eye on this place if he knows so much about it and knows exactly who goes in there and what they do when they come out of it!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 23:49   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Tesco/Asda have more variety in different nappies than Accrington has in different shops.

No reason to doubt either of you guys..so I'll concede
As you're apparently still in nappies, that's probably wise.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 23:53   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
No...I am merely stating what I thought - that Garinda must spend a lot of time keeping his eye on this place if he knows so much about it and knows exactly who goes in there and what they do when they come out of it!
Of course he knows ..the bloke is all seeing all knowing.. it's like having one of the X-Men hovering around Hyndburn.. think yerself lucky..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 23:54   #50

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As you're apparently still in nappies, that's probably wise.

Not quite, but fully expect to be in a couple of years, so been pricing them up
Old 15-06-2012, 23:59   #51
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I've actually been in there, buying a painting if you're at all interested, and heard the sob story, saw the money given 'for electricty', which was then handed over to a waiting dealer outside in Abbey Street, for two ten quid wraps of smack.

That sort of charitable help aids no one.

I really don't care if one or two fools don't see that.

They can take comfort from each other.

Like addicts take comfort from the town having the Maundy Grange here, which allows their addictions to continue unabated.

Old 16-06-2012, 00:14   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Of course he knows ..the bloke is all seeing all knowing.. it's like having one of the X-Men hovering around Hyndburn.. think yerself lucky..
Do try to stick to what's being discussed in this thread please,

Last edited by Mick; 16-06-2012 at 04:59. Reason: real name edited out
Old 16-06-2012, 07:48   #53
God Member

If you had ever had a loved one with a drug problem I think you would share the view that Maundy "enables" the problem to continue. The people who avail theirselves of its services will in the main be getting benefits to pay their bills/feed themselves. It is certainly not an asset for the town and if people can't see that they are blinkered to say the least.
Old 16-06-2012, 09:02   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
If you had ever had a loved one with a drug problem I think you would share the view that Maundy "enables" the problem to continue. The people who avail theirselves of its services will in the main be getting benefits to pay their bills/feed themselves. It is certainly not an asset for the town and if people can't see that they are blinkered to say the least.
The blinkers seem to be on those people with a problem who actually live nowhere near Accy, I only learnt for myself what maundyville was like until I saw it for myself last Summer, the Abbey St I knew is long gone and I didn't like its replacement one little bit.
Old 16-06-2012, 09:18   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The blinkers seem to be on those people with a problem who actually live nowhere near Accy, I only learnt for myself what maundyville was like until I saw it for myself last Summer, the Abbey St I knew is long gone and I didn't like its replacement one little bit.
Yeh Abbey Street used to be a nice street of varied shops, but Muandyville has taken over.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 10:00   #56

Quote:
Hmm..again I'll state that I think Maundy Grange is a poorly thought out idea...but,

Care to name a single business that has been driven out?

Care to link a single occurrence of threatening behaviour, resulting in someone refusing to shop in the area?

I suggest you look at the other thread where many on this forum are saying that they furnished their first home with 'second hand tat'
One example of second hand tat - I arranged for the council to take away an old television set which was broken. It stood outside for two days in the rain until Hyndburn Used Furniture Stores collected it. A few days later I was walking along Abbey Streey and there was my knackered old telly in pride of place for sale in one of the Maundy Grange shop windows.
I also furnished my first home with second hand goods, and I love a rummage round second hand shops and charity shops, although I would never on principle go into any of the Maundy Grange shops.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 13:06   #57
Resting in Peace

The thing is when Dorothy started of at first she did a good job, until it started escalating, now its totally out of control
Old 16-06-2012, 14:40   #58
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwhite View Post
Not many expressions of support; is that because AccyWeb members are a load of moaners or does it reflect the general feeling within the town? Picking up on comparisons with the depressions of the 30's has unleashed a barrage of complaints about the charity. These seem to include the effect on the local street scene, the attraction of undesirable elements in our society, from elsewhere and the encouragement of drug use/abuse. Perhaps our so called 'local' newspaper should do some investigative journalism and publish their findings to expose the problems and/or educate the local residents of any positive achievements/particular examples of good work that the charity has done/achieved. I can agree with many views that the overall street level impressions can be less than attractive, at times, but if that is the price we have to pay for helping the truly unfortunate - it may be worthwhile? It is obviously an issue, within the town. Until someone bites the bullet and seeks further information; we will not be able to judge the merits of the charity or its founder, based on factual evidence. Come on Observer, make the effort! Now is your chance to show us what a good local newspaper can provide in terms of journalism and a enterprising reporting service for the locality and for their readers.
And you would trust what the Observer told you?
All I will say is....'don't hold your breath while you wait for this to happen'

I have donated food and goods to this charity in the past, but I do not support them anymore after I heard one recipient of Dorthy's charity lambast the goods she had been give(food) with words like 'Does she expect us to eat this she-ite?'
I know this is anecdotal and only one comment. There may be other very deserving cases she has helped, but to the outside observer(not the paper), it does seem that a lot of these people see her as a 'mug'.
And these clients of hers do blight the town centre......making it less than pleasant to visit.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 16-06-2012 at 14:49.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 14:46   #59
Beacon of light

Quote:

I suggest you look at the other thread where many on this forum are saying that they furnished their first home with 'second hand tat'
No, we didn't say that we furnished our homes with second hand 'tat'.
What we actually said, was that we furnished our homes with second hand furniture and stuff that was gifted to us - or at least I did....and I know that Susie123 posted something very similar.
And what was alluded to by that was that we hadn't the money and were being thrifty...not that we furnished our homes with tat...none of my stuff was tat!

Last edited by Neil; 20-06-2012 at 14:10. Reason: fix quote
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 14:52   #60
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, we didn't say that we furnished our homes with second hand 'tat'.
What we actually said, was that we furnished our homes with second hand furniture and stuff that was gifted to us - or at least I did....and I know that Susie123 posted something very similar.
And what was alluded to by that was that we hadn't the money and were being thrifty...not that we furnished our homes with tat...none of my stuff was tat!
Well some of my stuff is now worth quite a lot of money so it can't have been that tatty! Just out of fashion in those days - now more likely to be seen on the Antiques Roadshow.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..