Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2012, 18:39   #76
JFT96

Re: Worse than The Depression - says Maundy founder.

For those interested, there is some info here:
"MAUNDY RELIEF" (PASTORAL CARE IN THE COMMUNITY) :: OpenCharities

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2012, 18:54   #77
God Member

The latest statement of accounts is here -

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/...110331_e_c.pdf

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 19:14   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The latest statement of accounts is here -

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/...110331_e_c.pdf

No expediture noted for business rates.

Charities are allowed to pay no more than 20% of the current ratebale value on non-domestic property, which they use for charitable purposes.

Perhaps Hyndburn B.C. have decided to charge them nothing at all, for all the many properties they currently occupy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 19:41   #79
Give, give, give member

To say they're God's little helpers here on Earth, you'd think one of them would have noticed the spelling mistake on their own website.

'The Agnes Dei chapel'

http://www.maundyrelief.co.uk/page2.html

Er...shouldn't that be the Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) chapel, that you refer to on here?

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/...080331_e_c.pdf

The last link makes interesting reading.

Donations, five thousand from Comic Relief, a grand from Hyndburn's Mayor.

Plus they apparently had complaints from one of their neighbours, about the numbers of people using the Maundy facilities.

That neighbour being one Greg Pope, M.P.

Still, as long as they've got this Agnes looking after them.

All is well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg maundychapel.jpg (11.5 KB, 23 views)

Old 16-06-2012, 21:01   #80
Senior Member+

Saying this charity is just for junkies to leech off, to me that opinion is abhorrent, It is also, simple BS

Heroin addicts are sick. IF they are trying to kick the habit and get their life together they need charities like this. They need help. As much as I dislike the creatures they become when that drug takes them over.

A friend of mine that found himself out without a hope in the world of where to go went there a few years ago. She gave him some sort of letter and he got money for bond, got a house and they gave him furniture. He is not a smackhead.
Old 16-06-2012, 21:38   #81
Senior Member+

Uptight today. Dont like my opinion; see disclaimer :-)

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk
Old 16-06-2012, 22:25   #82
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Saying this charity is just for junkies to leech off, to me that opinion is abhorrent, It is also, simple BS

Heroin addicts are sick. IF they are trying to kick the habit and get their life together they need charities like this. They need help. As much as I dislike the creatures they become when that drug takes them over.

A friend of mine that found himself out without a hope in the world of where to go went there a few years ago. She gave him some sort of letter and he got money for bond, got a house and they gave him furniture. He is not a smackhead.
Your case is just ONE example, what about the all the others, who have made little IF any effort to get off the habit, and will keep on, as long as they get the hand outs from Maundy. How many success stories can Maundy claim.
As for the shops in Abbey St, how much furniture, and other goods do they get through in say a month, and I don't mean food parcels, the same stuff has been in the window displays for months now. Not seen much change since I saw Tony Hindley fitting some of them out, and that is some while ago
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 22:32   #83
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Er...shouldn't that be the Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) chapel, that you refer to on here?
Or Angus Dei, the well known Scottish lamb.
Old 16-06-2012, 22:38   #84
God Member

Would say your friend was the exception rather than the rule Restless and if it wasn't so obvious that the Maundy was being abused by many of the clients who use the facilities on offer people might just be more inclined to support rather than knock it. It is a blight on the town and most people can see that for themselves.
Old 16-06-2012, 22:39   #85

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/...080331_e_c.pdf

The last link makes interesting reading.

Certainly does..thirteen grand from Bootstrap..which is, in itself, a charity...a charity donating to a charity????...the mind boggles.

Although, from my dealings with Bootstrap they simply get work placements for the disadvantaged and then wash their hands. So it's probably a way they dump a few people from their books onto Maundy Grange's books and boost their success figures
Old 16-06-2012, 22:51   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
A Junkies paradise in Abbey St, Accrington, facing the end of Tasker St & Queen St, some do gooders have taken over most of the adjacent shops selling furiture & other rubbish, in the name of Maundy Grange, her little place is set back from the main road on the Eastern side of Abbey St.

Retlaw,
Ta. Now I get the picture. Is it like "hug a hoodie" on steroids?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 22:55   #87
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ta. Now I get the picture. Is it like "hug a hoodie" on steroids?
Have you not looked at the website, Eric?

http://www.maundyrelief.co.uk/index.html
Old 16-06-2012, 23:08   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Have you not looked at the website, Eric?

http://www.maundyrelief.co.uk/index.html
Looks like something begging to be taken advantage of. I'm not unfeeling, and I'm not opposed to charitable acts. But this looks like a magnet for losers and users.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 23:21   #89
Give, give, give member

Quote:

You should pop in the Agnes and Doris Day Chapel of Peace and Solace, and calm your nerves.

As far as I can see no one at all has said this place is 'just for junkies to leech off'.

However, it cannot be denied, the most visible visitors to Abbey Street are now the many addicts, to drink and/or drugs, and they are the ones who cause the most trouble in this part of town.

Addiction is a terrible thing. It ruins lives, and breaks families apart.

Having lived with one, and worked with many others, the soft, kindly approach rarely helps people recover. It just makes it easier for them to take advantage of other people, and continue with their habit.

It's tough love these people need.

Not a food parcel, and twenty quid for the friggin' leccy.

Old 16-06-2012, 23:24   #90
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Quote:
Uptight today. Dont like my opinion; see disclaimer :-)

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk
I assume most folk have nowt against someone who helps those who "WANT" help, Theres a big difference between those n those who don't. perhaps yeh will eventually distinguish between em.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..