Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2020, 12:41   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Worst TV commercials...

its probably a good job the thread wasnt "Best T.V. Commercials" would probably have been no replies?
Old 23-04-2020, 10:38   #17

I hate them all - if 80% of the population is still supposedly white English why do 90% of commercials have mixed race or ethnic couples ?
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:50   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe View Post
I hate them all - if 80% of the population is still supposedly white English why do 90% of commercials have mixed race or ethnic couples ?
If the makers of these adverts really believe this is the route to go to show a typical 'family' then we should take what they are advertising with an extra pinch of salt.

(Oh dear there's me being none P.C. we are no longer allowed an extra pinch of salt it isn't healthy).

Well, if I'm already in trouble let's have a golliwog salt cellar:-

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:57   #19
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe View Post

That is a really good question...and the answer is to normalise that scenario.

That is what the elite in this world want....they want us all to be cafe au lait colour......no race means no racism...no ethnicity means no nationalistic identity...no nationalistic passion or fervour. No war, no falling out.

We can be manipulated by seeing images like this because it is representing 'normal'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 13:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

That is what the elite in this world want....they want us all to be cafe au lait colour......no race means no racism...no ethnicity means no nationalistic identity...no nationalistic passion or fervour. No war, no falling out.

We can be manipulated by seeing images like this because it is representing 'normal'.
'Normal' is often to suspect or deride what is different or new until it becomes an everyday part of our lives.

I wonder how Johnny Speight would be viewed these days even though he always claimed he tried to show how ridiculous racism & sexism is rather than promote it?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381269/
Old 23-04-2020, 14:05   #21
Beacon of light

When different or new is promoted in a subversive way, it becomes suspect.

Look up the Coudenhove -Kalergi plan Less...just see what that proposes and you wll see that we are well on our way.

At least Johnny Speigh made us laugh with his caricatures of the time...now if that were shown today there would have to be a rider attached to it to tell the viewers that this was a different time and that some of the references, would today, offend.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 23-04-2020, 14:55   #22

Quote:

The situation is akin to having a society like apartheid South Africa - the minority dictating to and lecturing the majority.
Old 24-04-2020, 09:30   #23
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;

At least Johnny Speigh made us laugh with his caricatures of the time...now if that were shown today there would have to be a rider attached to it to tell the viewers that this was a different time and that some of the references, would today, offend.[/QUOTE]

always wonder what is in the minds of these people who are looking for stuff to be offended by. be interested who at the time were offended by goliwogs and the black and white minstral show. just have a feeling it was not the majority of black people but more the lefties again. wonder how many black families jumped up quickly when a johnny speight comedy was on and turned it off.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 14:50   #24

It may not be the worst advert on the box, however the one with Carol Vorderman wandering the housing estate with a chain saw, no wonder the folk claim to be downsizing the truth is they are scared of the U.K.'s female version of the chain saw massacre.
After all as soon as you put up a for sale sign she comes along and saws it down, a clear message that if she doesn't want you to move, you aren't going to move.
Old 24-04-2020, 16:31   #25
Beacon of light

I am getting tired of everyone jumping on the Covid bandwagon too.
The other night there were three NHS adverts telling us to stay home...thenthere were the usual supermarket adverts.
You cannot get away from it no way no how.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 24-04-2020, 18:53   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I am getting tired of everyone jumping on the Covid bandwagon too.
The other night there were three NHS adverts telling us to stay home...thenthere were the usual supermarket adverts.
You cannot get away from it no way no how.
agree they are probably putting them on for thev idiots that are taking no notice of things, instead they should be fining the stupid sods heavily thats the only thing they may take notice of imho.
Less likes this.
Old 24-04-2020, 19:20   #27
Beacon of light

The funeral ads do my box in too....and the begging adverts.....yes, they are good causes, but we are in a situation where we are all finding it tough.
Old 24-04-2020, 19:34   #28
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
agree they are probably putting them on for thev idiots that are taking no notice of things, instead they should be fining the stupid sods heavily thats the only thing they may take notice of imho.
Cashy, it depends on what they are doing.

If someone is having a social event...a party, then yes, but the police have frequently overstepped their remit during this crisis.

What is the harm in a couple having a picnic....they are compromising no-one having a butty and a thermos of tea at a woodland table.
They are outdoors and probably at much less risk than if they went to Tesco or B&Q.
It is like taking a car ride to somewhere quiet....somewhere you are unlikely to meet up with many people....what is wrong with a walk over the hills.
I went for a short walk along the canal today.....I have never seen so many walkers and cyclists.....and it is really hard to keep 6 ft between you on the towpath.....so were we all law breakers?
The answer is 'no' because the government guidelines are just that...guidelines...not laws.

Today Matt Hancock applauded those businesses returning to work....saying that they need not have closed.
What!
Either we are in lockdown or we aren't and it is comments like that that underline the confusion.
As far as I knew, unless you were a key worker, you were supposed to stay home.
Old 24-04-2020, 20:10   #29
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its probably a good job the thread wasnt "Best T.V. Commercials" would probably have been no replies?

What about the old Smash adverts with the robots? They were really funny.

DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 24-04-2020, 22:01   #30

This was one of the first I recall to offend someone. Their surname was Whitbread and people were calling them Big Head because of the ad. Would probably involve lawyers and pressure groups these days.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..