Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2021, 17:19   #46
Junior Member+

Re: Worst TV commercials...

Worst TV advert would be all of them, I haven't watched TV for 5 years because I can't abide adverts.
Jack1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2021, 17:54   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

so theres channels without ads so that reason dont wash with me.
Old 29-01-2021, 09:29   #48
God Member

practice does make perfect if you use your remote to switch over to anything once ads come on. i have got it down to a tee now and rarely miss more than a few seconds of the programme i have been watching. you can always use the catch up services and pay to watch add free also.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 09:32   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
has anyone else noticed whats happening with ads since B.L.M. became an item?
don,t wind me up cashy. i,ve started to watch these woke lefty adverts to increase my blood pressure.
cashman and taddy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 02:37   #50

Currently there are a number of ads on our tv for an insurance company for older people. Some have women on them, some have men. In all of them these people look ridiculous, in my opinion anyway. They are seen to be cavorting around, doing high kicks and other contortionist acts, with silly grins on their faces. It’s actually a bit embarrassing watching their antics – am sure there has been a bit of tampering with effects Hope they got well paid.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 08:30   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Theres a lot of ads here for funerals and cremations really cheers yeh up dont know why they waste money on them? everyone has to have them its UNAVOIDABLE.
odders likes this.
Old 20-11-2021, 20:43   #52

Cashy and life insurance. It's like they now know covid is ready to cripple loads. Quick let's get their cash

Undercutting each other on a cremation, burial. I can't wait for the next wave of adverts, headstones and moseleums for sale.
monkey hanger likes this.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:05   #53
Beacon of light

Just had to resurrect this thread.
I do not watch much TV, but I was doing a bit of dusting.
Himself was watching Jeremy Vine program(shudder) and during one of the ad breaks there was an advert for some sort of Birds Eye fake chicken.
It was a cartoon….mother and daughter(of coloured persuasion) sat among a naturfied scene.
The child was asking ‘Mummy do we eatChicken’ went onto say they had some plant based chicken type food (‘it was yummy’)and why did her mum not cook things like this…..then this smart ar$e kid went on to ask if it was because her mother was afraid of change….that if no one liked it then it would be remembered as the day mum cooked…..yeuk, well I do not know who thought up this psychological nudge…but if anything would put me off plant based food that was masquerading as Chicken….this would be it

And I know I have mentioned it before…but the adverts that are by the Vegetarian Butcher…..hello that would be a greengrocer then.

How much chemical crap goes into these substitutes to make somebody think they are eating chicken would be the question I would ask.

On another topic altogether.
I also caught an advert for a Sure deodorant/antiperspirant that is effective for 72 hours.
So please will someone tell me…..those who use this stuff….do they not wash their pits and their bits every day? Eewwww. nasty!
Guinness and dotti34 like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 03-08-2022 at 10:08.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:00   #55
Beacon of light

Yes Less that is the one…..yes, it could have gone in the woke thread, but I thought I would give this thread another chance at life.
dotti34 likes this.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:17   #56
Beacon of light

The Dave Gorman thing….while it started off being about armpits…..didn’t tell me if people feel it is alright to spray their pits and not bother to wash them daily because their deodoriser lasts three days.
So when it got to the aposematism I lost interest.
Apologies if it was after this.
So I would still like to know if there are folk out there who are not dealing with basic hygiene effectively because they do not want to wash off the effects of their Sure Spray.
Old 06-08-2022, 00:13   #57

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The child was asking ‘Mummy do we eatChicken’ went onto say they had some plant based chicken type food (‘it was yummy’)and why did her mum not cook things like this…..then this smart ar$e kid went on to ask if it was because her mother was afraid of change….that if no one liked it then it would be remembered as the day mum cooked…..yeuk, well I do not know who thought up this psychological nudge…but if anything would put me off plant based food that was masquerading as Chicken….this would be it

And I know I have mentioned it before…but the adverts that are by the Vegetarian Butcher…..hello that would be a greengrocer then.

How much chemical crap goes into these substitutes to make somebody think they are eating chicken would be the question I would ask.
I’ve tried ‘vegan bacon’, ….didn’t look like bacon, didn’t taste like bacon. Horrible stuff.

I’m from the pre cooking oil age, when pretty much everything that was fried was done so in a lump of hot melted lard. Eggs fresh from the milkman fried in a pan where the melted lard was so deep you could spoon it over the bright yellow yolk..non-stick coatings on pans were non-existent, then again food didn’t stick to big heavy blackened frying pans filled with molten lard. Bacon sliced at your desired thickness from Len’s where you actually needed to trim the fat before you put it in the pan and cut the rind as you fried it to prevent it from curling too much, butchers sausages that needed their skins pricking and didn’t shrink and ohhh…the bliss of a crispy slice of Mothers Pride fried bread made from the leavings in the frying pan.

Nowadays my ‘old fart sensible’ unhealthy saturday morning treat…oven cooked water injected bacon and sausage, both of which shrink as the water evaporates, I have to buy smoked bacon, unsmoked is tasteless, small tin of baked beans to moisten and a poached egg. Fried bread just cannot be made anymore and has been consigned to history and forgotten like the Dodo to anyone under 55.

Saturday breakfast to me is a tradition (like the Sunday roast and xmas dinner)….So I eat ‘todays bacon’…doesn’t look like ‘proper’ bacon, doesn’t taste like ‘proper’ bacon. Horrible stuff. Likewise for the sausage and the poached egg.

Back to the advert..to me there is nothing different between the ‘real’ injected watery additive laden chicken nuggets that the mother uses than the packet of ‘pretend’ injected watery additive laden chicken like nuggets the mates mother uses…a proper parent would avoid both like the plague..only food that came in packets or boxes that I recall as a kid was cereal, bisto and dried peas.
dotti34 likes this.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:01   #58

Guinness, in my world proper bacon is the only bacon that enters my door and lands in the frying pan, fried bread is still on my menu and consumed at regular intervals, only ‘real deal’ sausages are eaten at my table, and the same goes with any other meat. No pretend stuff here, although I do use vegetable oil as I can’t find lard.

I buy free range eggs because I think the way hens kept in the mass-production barns is disgraceful and should be outlawed.

Anytime you are passing this way you are welcome to drop in and I’ll cook you the most unhealthy (but tasty) breakfast you could wish to have, except for the lard of course….

…and, Margaret, I think you will agree that the title ‘vegetarian butcher’ is an oxymoron.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:31   #59
Beacon of light

I also relish dripping on toast….dirty dripping that is with jelly meat juices at the bottom.
I do not care what health gurus tell me….I enjoy it and will continue to eat it as long as I am on the planet.

No one has yet answered the deodorant thing
Old 06-08-2022, 12:55   #60
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No one has yet answered the deodorant thing

I assume there are those out there Ma that do think it's okay to do so, I personally don't. I'll get a shower of an evening & spray the pits if I'm off out somewhere, but the next morning it's up & showered, pit spray if required.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..