Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2020, 00:35   #1

Worst TV commercials...

Now so many of you are in isolation I suppose that you are watching more TV than you normally would. Of course this means you are also watching more ads than ever, even if you do mute them – so in your opinion what is the worst ad on TV? What advertisement really makes you cringe?

There is one presently on the TV here for men’s organic bamboo underpants that is so annoying. Definitely cringeworthy. There are some that don’t make sense with no apparent connection to what they are advertising. Pointless.

Let's hear what commercials annoy you the most.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2020, 09:04   #2
God Member

Re: Worst TV commercials...

the guy who does the ad for Enterprise vehicle hire. if i needed to hire a car they,d be the last place i,d visit even if the cheapest. Had a talk about TV adverts years ago saying that they must be counter productive anyway. still will not buy anything with a Sharpe name on it due to their association with manchester united.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 09:21   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Pure Cremations and other crap of that ilk half the country is already depressed oer this virus this will probably make people worse. its just a matter of owt to make money in my view.
david1 and Dennis like this.
Old 15-04-2020, 09:49   #4

Cannot understand why Holiday Insurance and Cruise Holidays are still be advertised.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 10:13   #5
Beacon of light

The Jenny Eclair advert about vaginal dryness does it for me.....and there is another one about women's issues where a woman is shown with a tampon string poking out of her underwear....gross, totally gross.
Now Tampax have got in on this act too.....asking if you can 'feel' your tampon....telling you that it isn't in far enough.
For goodness sake....do we really need this?
It smacks of wokeness to me.

There are others that are just annoying....'are you going to Bingo' is one of these....in fact there are too many that make me want to throw something hard and heavy at the screen.

I could go without TV quite happily.
cashman, Gremlin and monkey hanger like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 09:47   #6
God Member

just do as i do. swith to something else for a few minutes whilst adverts are on. with ptactise you can get it spot on at times and adds to the enjoyment of watching television. make sure you only swith to BBc programmes as ads seem to be on all the others at the same time.
Old 16-04-2020, 09:51   #7
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1239174]

There are others that are just annoying....'are you going to Bingo' is one of these....in fact there are too many that make me want to throw something hard and heavy at the screen.

her indoors loves going to our local bingo hall a couple of times a week. if she,s on her own watching and tthat advert comes up i fear for the tele.
Old 16-04-2020, 10:04   #8
God Member

Don't mind most of the adverts, although the new Tampax one that Margaret mentioned raises my hackles a bit, it's some of the programmes between the adverts that get on my nerves
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 10:47   #9
Beacon of light

Me too Accymad.
I really have a hard job finding something I WANT to watch.
Old 17-04-2020, 09:38   #10

We hate the adverts on TV. So since I was in lock down for ninety days I thought I would try Netflix. no adverts and some brilliant TV to watch. The cheapest to watch is about 5.00 and the next is £8.00. You can cancel anytime and you're not locked into a contract.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 09:49   #11
Beacon of light

Not exactly commercials, but is anyone else irritated by these so called celebrities doing messages about the wonderful NHS.
The majority of those involved would probably never use the NHS.....they are just using it as a vehicle for raising their own profile...they are opportunistic virtue signallers.
cashman, pifco and monkey hanger like this.
Old 18-04-2020, 11:54   #12
God Member

think they have changed the dictionary definition of what a celebrity actually is. surely i,d know who these people are if they were really famous.
Old 18-04-2020, 12:18   #13
Beacon of light

Like you, I have to ask who some of these people are.
I just think it is a bit glib of them.....they are living in good size houses with facilities that most of us can only dream of....so they know nothing of the hardships that are felt by the people they are applauding....key workers.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 19-04-2020, 09:43   #14
God Member

cannot think these people ever can be called as ones that clog up GP waiting rooms and NHS beds.
Old 19-04-2020, 10:02   #15
Beacon of light

Not for them the difficult task of getting an appointment, waiting in line at 8.30 in the morning or being 27th in the queue to try to see a doctor....and being told all the appointments forbtoday have gone...repeat the frustrating performance tomorrow with similar results.(and I know that since the lockdown there IS no early morning queue at the surgery)
Though that said, if they use private facilities, that means one less patient for the docs to deal with.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..