Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 08:22   #1
God Member

Worth every penny????

Can anyone offer any form of justification for the BBC's recent decision to pay Jonathon Ross £18 million of Licence Fee payers hard earned cash?

I thought that ITV's decision to pay Lorraine Kelly over half a million a year was excessive, but ITV earn their money through advertising not public subsidy and they are thus at liberty to spend it any way they choose, but this Ross contract takes the biscuit! What is so uniquely wonderful about the foul-mouthed Ross that makes him worth £18 Million of public money? It will be remembered that it was Ross who, at the recent children's party at Buckingham Palace, gleefully informed HM The Queen in front of an assembled audience of children and millions of television viewers that the English football team had just "Stuffed Equador".

Am I alone in thinking that there is something wrong here?

At a time when there are millions of people who would give their right kidney for a chance to appear on television, why do all the presenting jobs appear to go to the same handfull of "faces"?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:46   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Worth every penny????

[quote]....another thing that makes me think bad thoughts is that Jonathon Ross gets the equivalent of £750 per minute for his Saturday morning show on Radio 2, that is on top of the contract for his chat show on BBC1.[quote garinda.]

I've already been moaning about this.

I like him, but it's just so obscene when what he's paid comes from the licence fee we pay.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:00   #3
God Member

There should be some way that it's index linked to their viewing figures. So the really popular hosts and presenters get paid per viewer, (I bet he hasn't got 18 million viewers) that way we are voting by watching and if we don't watch then we don't feel too bad about them earning a lot because it's not actually our money that's doing it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:37   #4
God Member

I think Wossy is bwilliant.

I think his unique way of bringing his interview techniques down to a level of meaningless pub-like conversation is great - especially with the arsey 'A' list Hollywood celebs.

He does do a lot more than most of the on-screen people at the BBC with Film 2006, his show on Radio 2, and of course Friday Night With... - but £18m a year?? Ever so slightly excessive methinks - a lot of that money could've gone into producing some decent new ideas for BBC programmes - anyone seen 'Grownups'? My word what a load of wubbish.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:37   #5
Resting in Peace

Suppose it's just a matter of ring fencing him A-B so as he doesn't move to another channel.

No, I don't think he is worth this sort of money either, his swearing and straight forward remarks do not appeal to me. Even his wit is not up to what it was.

Don't like him on the Radio either, not a patch on our Terry Wogan, Steve Wright and must admit Chris Evans is doing an excellent job on the 5 o'clock slot.

What I like about 'Parkie' too is that he listens to his guests and lets them speak, whereby Jonathan does most of the talking on his. Want to tell him to shut up and let his guest speak please. Ah well, that's show business I suppose.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 18:40   #6
I am Banned

maybe now he has more than enough money the ranker will see a speech therapist
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 19:46   #7
God Member

I enjoy watching his chat show I think he's quite funny, not sure anybodies worth that salary though.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 22:27   #8
Give, give, give member

Don't forget that as well as a wife and children he also has to support Four Puffs and a Piano.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 22:36   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree he aint worth that kinda dosh can take or leave him meself, but would argue that his 18 million is not as obscene as svens 7 million.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..