Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Aussie Irene
  • 1 Post By Aussie Irene
  • 1 Post By Barrie Yates
  • 1 Post By Eric
  • 1 Post By accyman
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2015, 01:26   #1

Wot A Job

Just been reading Observer online. "Cleanup of chewing gum from pavements, in Accrington town centre streets."
There must be a lot of aching jaws, if there is that much gum.
How times have changed. I remember in my school days, when the underside of wooden seats and chairs, especially in the classroom, used to be the main disposal point
Eric, maxthecollie and westendlass like this.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2015, 07:08   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Wot A Job

Personally,Ive never been a lover of chew gum,I think, it's a vulgar habit but that's just me.i understand folk may use it to mask unwanted smells on their breath (smoking,alcohol etc) but it's not for me.....

...AccyExplorer sits and waits for the designated gum bins,threat of a fine signs and gum free public buildings in Accrington.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 18:39   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
I remember in my school days, when the underside of wooden seats and chairs, especially in the classroom, used to be the main disposal point
I used to stuff it in someone else's inkwell ... Are you of the "inkwell generation.?"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 19:58   #4
Beacon of light

The only time I chewed gum was when I worked in the weaving mill.
It wasn't something I liked, but it stopped your throat from getting dry with all the dust.
I didn't mind that it didn't taste of much.......a piece of the stuff could last me all week......I used to wrap it in waxed paper......and when I was disposing of it I put it in the sani bin in the ladies loo.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 20:47   #5

I go through at least 20 pieces of nicotine gum a day, but I always dispose of them in paper tissues. At least I'm not on my previous 40 a day of Benson & Hedges.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 00:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I used to stuff it in someone else's inkwell ... Are you of the "inkwell generation.?"
Eric, I bet you were one of the naughty boys who put Carbide in other kids inkwells, to make the ink bubble over. I reckon throwing pens to stick into the ceiling, would be another one of your pranks. Those were the days
Eric likes this.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 16:17   #7
Senior Member+

I know one lad who in his final year at AGS drilled holes in the chalk stick and filled the hole with match heads, put a piece of kipper on top of the blackboard light bulb and glued down Jim Whittaker's (Jim Bowen), desk lid - he got away with all of them.
Eric likes this.
Old 29-03-2015, 17:28   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Eric, I bet you were one of the naughty boys who put Carbide in other kids inkwells, to make the ink bubble over. I reckon throwing pens to stick into the ceiling, would be another one of your pranks. Those were the days
You should write a book: "A Sentimental Journey from Inkwells to I-Pads."
Aussie Irene likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 18:44   #9
God Member

my school pal never put chewing gum under his desk at school it was his main source for obtaining it the dirty sod

but to be fair he did put it in the bin when he got all the flavour out
Aussie Irene likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 21:35   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
my school pal never put chewing gum under his desk at school it was his main source for obtaining it the dirty sod

but to be fair he did put it in the bin when he got all the flavour out
I bet he had a fantastic immune system
Aussie Irene likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..