Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: do you support mass protest against a government?
yes 20 76.92%
no 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2011, 17:46   #61
God Member

Re: would you support protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
Maybe you posting this now would have meant a little more if you'd have done it 5 years ago, as I remember very little was don't by Blair, Brown and co in this direction when they had the chance, no, instead they chose to wreck the pension scheme for millions of people to carry on the tax and spend ethos and when that ran dry the started to borrow like there was no tomorrow
If the grocer's daughter hadn't privatised, gas, electricity, water, railways, steel etc. they might have had something left to flog off.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2011, 17:50   #62
JFT96

Thanks Rindi,
Back home now, I left the Morocco company last year and got this biz jet job through a old friend.
But we do spend a lot of time in those nice places.
BG

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 17:53   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
If the grocer's daughter hadn't privatised, gas, electricity, water, railways, steel etc. they might have had something left to flog off.
They were flogged off so Labour could inherit the best economic outlook every by any incoming government in history and they totally blew it big time
Old 21-02-2011, 18:00   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They were flogged off so Labour could inherit the best economic outlook every by any incoming government in history and they totally blew it big time
I did try and explain how you could save time, and energy.

Simply post this...

Quote:
Usual reply.
and we'll know exactly what you mean.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 18:12   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I did try and explain how you could save time, and energy.

Simply post this...

and we'll know exactly what you mean.

Sooner just jog their memories in a more informed way G
Old 21-02-2011, 18:21   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Sooner just jog their memories in a more informed way G
What's he said now?

I just see this again...

Quote:
Usual reply

Old 21-02-2011, 21:10   #67
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Just a thought.. the present protests in north africa and mid east against thier governments who are ruling under a minority to pay for thier way of life
Now then, Mancie, lad, you're not trying to tell us that the UK is anything like the repressive dictatorships we've seen on the news recently, are you? For all its faults, the UK is paragon of free speech and democracy compared to that lot. As for "paying for their way of life", have you ever been to a third world country? The most poverty-striken family on the worst sink estate in Britain, suffering as they might be under Cameron's cuts, is living a life of luxury compared to the proletariat in many of these North African countries.

So put that Che beret and combat jacket back in the cupboard, chuck that Guerilla Warfare Handbook back on the shelf and get yourself off down the Bermondsey Arms. The revolution won't be starting today.

"..but what can a poor boy do in sleepy London town,
'cos London just ain't no place for a streetfightin' man."
Old 21-02-2011, 21:29   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Now then, Mancie, lad, you're not trying to tell us that the UK is anything like the repressive dictatorships we've seen on the news recently, are you? For all its faults, the UK is paragon of free speech and democracy compared to that lot. As for "paying for their way of life", have you ever been to a third world country? The most poverty-striken family on the worst sink estate in Britain, suffering as they might be under Cameron's cuts, is living a life of luxury compared to the proletariat in many of these North African countries.

So put that Che beret and combat jacket back in the cupboard, chuck that Guerilla Warfare Handbook back on the shelf and get yourself off down the Bermondsey Arms. The revolution won't be starting today.

"..but what can a poor boy do in sleepy London town,
'cos London just ain't no place for a streetfightin' man."
Brilliant post.

I.O.U. karma, but apparently it's been a give, give, give kind of a day, karma wise.

Old 21-02-2011, 21:41   #69
Beacon of light

Great minds think alike...twice tonight!
Spot on Steve.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 21:53   #70
Super Moderator

Muchas gracias, Gary & Margaret.

No sign of Mancie...do you think he's gone off to join the Libyan Liberation Army (Bermondsey Division)?
Old 21-02-2011, 21:56   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

No sign of Mancie...do you think he's gone off to join the Libyan Liberation Army (Bermondsey Division)?
He can join em in Manchester, if he pops up to the theater of merchandising.
Old 21-02-2011, 22:17   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I've told him before to move further south.

There's no one leading the Tooting Popular Front, since I moved away.

Old 22-02-2011, 04:45   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
All successive British governments have only backed revolutions, as long as they think there'll be something in it for them.

They were still supporting Mubarak until it was clear he'd lost. Then it was jolly well done you protesters.

Brtitish governments have supported Egypt for years, despite it being a police state, with one of the worst human rights records on the planet.
Maybe British governments supported Mubarak because that was the stance taken by their buddies in Washington ... you know, those wonderful folks who gave us the Contras. Quite a lot of US made military hardware is on display in the videos. Forget about Obama's rhetoric, the US was quite content to have dictators in control. It gave a measure of stability to a volatile region; and the most important thing one wants in a country which is a major source of oil is stability. The reason that the US buys most of its oil from Canada is not the quality, nor the environmental friendliness of its extraction, but the fact that,politically, we are rock-solid stable. And do not British governments have a long history of supporting any government which is friendly to its interests? In this world, oil talks, BS walks. The BS in this case are the pronouncements of western leaders about the attempts of the entrenched to resist popular protests. What they are really thinking is: "How will all this affect the supply of oil"?

But in response to the thread question: I think that the British people should protest in the way that we and the Americans do, and this corresponds to the intent of the First Ammendment to the US Constitution. [Parliament] shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of people to peaceably assemble, and to petition the Government for redress of grievances.

Last edited by Eric; 22-02-2011 at 04:47. Reason: speleng
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 08:29   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
The most poverty-striken family on the worst sink estate in Britain, suffering as they might be under Cameron's cuts, is living a life of luxury compared to the proletariat in many of these North African countries.
Brilliant post Wyn - but you could have included the Indian sub-continent as well. Did a job in Pakistan (Lahore & Mirpur), a couple of years back. Then I realised why there are so many Pakistanis in UK.
Old 22-02-2011, 08:47   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Brilliant post Wyn - but you could have included the Indian sub-continent as well. Did a job in Pakistan (Lahore & Mirpur), a couple of years back. Then I realised why there are so many Pakistanis in UK.
I agree, as I'm sure anyone else would, who'd visited any third world countries.

Poverty is relative. I refute the figure that 13% of children in this country live in poverty, whilst there's access to clean water, education, and a social benefits system which should mean that no one dies of starvation in the U.K.

'A spokesman for the charity said: "Measuring Severe Child Poverty in the UK reveals that 13% of the UK's children are now living in severe poverty and shows that efforts to reduce child poverty have not only stalled but have slid into reverse."
Child poverty fight 'slid into reverse' - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

Sadly we do hear about cases of children living in appalling conditions. However that is child abuse, caused by feckless adults, and not as a result of real poverty.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..