Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: do you support mass protest against a government?
yes 20 76.92%
no 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2011, 23:37   #1
God Member

would you support protest?

Just a thought.. the present protests in north africa and mid east against thier governments who are ruling under a minority to pay for thier way of life ..would you go on the streets and risk you're life? should this be supported by cameron.. the man and his party who are hell bent on repressing any social meaning in this country?

Last edited by Mancie; 18-02-2011 at 23:45.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2011, 00:11   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: would you support protest?

I used to protest when the Blairs used to spend their family holidays in the police state, with the appaling human rights records, that was 'friendly' old Mubarak's Egypt.

Same with our other close ally in the Middle East, Saudi Arabia. Atrocious human rights abuses carried out daily.

As Steeljack's pointed out, historically the area is a nightmare. The area having been carved up for years, for political, and financial gain.

I hope the revolutions, which seem very much led by people power, result in greater freedom, and autonomy for the social networkers that are bringing about the changes.

I'll protest when it's a clearer picture.

Especially if the result is less freedom, after power is seized by religious fundamentalists.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 00:55   #3
God Member

Very well ..I know there is a difference in these countries regarding historical upheaval and such.. makes us feel we are safe from this kind of stuff.. but when is the time to stop moaning about Blair or Thatcher and decide it is the time to take to the streets?.. when this sort of thing happens on a lower scale in this country these people would be called anarchists.
Old 19-02-2011, 01:13   #4
God Member

I'll answer myself.. when you live in a country governed by rich well educated chancers that have not got a clue how to run an economy the size of which we live in.. a lazy government that sits back and sees 1 million youngsters unemployed .. the highest youth unemployment in history.. sits back and say's we all deserve it for Labours shortcomings.. a government hell bent on destroying the hard work and suffering our grandparents and parents did for the better of us .. when do the people say it is enough?..this is not what the protesters in the middle east are on about..?

Last edited by Mancie; 19-02-2011 at 01:16.
Old 19-02-2011, 01:18   #5
Give, give, give member

I've posted before, the British weather isn't conducive to insurgecy.

No one takes to the streets, when 'it looks like rain later'

The English are rubbish at revolts.

Better say indoors, and take your velvet coat off. You won't feel the benefit later.

Old 19-02-2011, 01:25   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I'll answer myself.. when you live in a country governed by rich well educated chancers that have not got a clue how to run an economy the size of which we live in.. a lazy government that sits back and sees 1 million youngsters unemployed .. the highest youth unemployment in history.. sits back and say's we all deserve it for Labours shortcomings.. a government hell bent on destroying the hard work and suffering our grandparents and parents did for the better of us .. when do the people say it is enough?..this is not what the protesters in the middle east are on about..?
Harold McMillan was right.

Compared to our forefathers, whose life was one of endless toil, we have 'never had it so good'.

There'll be no revolution here.

Not while there's Sky Sports, microwaves, and prawn rings on the shelves of Iceland.

Old 19-02-2011, 01:54   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Harold McMillan was right.

Compared to our forefathers, whose life was one of endless toil, we have 'never had it so good'.

There'll be no revolution here.

Not while there's Sky Sports, microwaves, and prawn rings on the shelves of Iceland.
Tis true.. never had it so good when you think about having a ****e in a freezing back yard bog.. we have come far and gone abit soft.. but when does it click that all social progress in this country is now under attack?
Old 19-02-2011, 02:00   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
but when does it click that all social progress in this country is now under attack?

Sssshhh.

The nation's watching the telly.

Old 19-02-2011, 05:03   #9
God Member

I need to get a grip on the polling lark.. I do mean would it be right for actual mass protest against a government that has made itself immune to re-election..a government that can impose any laws on the british public at thier will?.. just as the public in Bahrain and Libya are willing to die for?
Old 19-02-2011, 05:09   #10
God Member

never understood why the Police in mainland UK have never used "water canon" on the "great unwashed" if it's good enough to be used on the Northen Irish/Ulstermen why isn't good enough for the London's liberal effette
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 05:30   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
never understood why the Police in mainland UK have never used "water canon" on the "great unwashed" if it's good enough to be used on the Northen Irish/Ulstermen why isn't good enough for the London's liberal effette
That's true.. never used water canon on the miners.. but they managed to murder some of them ..Cameron is telling the governments of countries he knows nothing about to listen to mass protesters.. but when there is a any protest here he calls them anarchists..
Old 19-02-2011, 07:55   #12
JFT96

Hmmm, a bit of a can of worms here.
When Teflon Tony, banned all noisy protest out side parliament, I did not see many people shouting revolt.
Under the last government we saw our freedoms go one by one, thankfully we did not get the ID card.
And Dave and Nick are not having that a good time either.

BUT to take the fact that Mancie and I are on differing sides of the political fence out of this discussion here...

We in the UK have rights, we can go where we want, when we want, with whoever we want and have no fear of being reported, arrested, beaten or killed.
When I lived in Morocco, I as a westerner, had to carry photographic id with me at all times, could be stopped and questioned in the street, if I wanted to purchase anything over a value of £50.00, I had to prove my address, could not say publicly anything about the King, (who is a direct descendent of Allah), carry a bible or practice Christian worship.
Now this was a liberal Muslim state, I have been to a few that are not as free as there.
My house maid, she lived in a corrugated shed with her family, the money I gave her, which was double what we originally agreed on, helped her obtain clothes, furnishings and even a Mobile phone, she had never had one before.
We are so used to going to the shops and getting food, booze, clothes with no real problems, even those on benefits, something they do not have in Morocco or other Arab States.
Finally wealth, well I have never seen so many Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lamborghini's etc, I even say a few Pigani Zonda's down there anywhere else in the world, as I saw on a daily basis in Casablanca, in Africa you are either filthy rich or filthy poor.
Now that is something worth fighting for.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 08:43   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Oh look another public poll so people wont want to vote in case so they don't get picked on.
Old 19-02-2011, 08:58   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Oh look another public poll so people wont want to vote in case so they don't get picked on.

Oh look.

Another public post.

Which no one will disagree with, in case they get picked on.

Old 19-02-2011, 09:01   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I prefer you when you are being grumpy , not when your trying to be funny

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..