Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2005, 01:43   #166
land of hope and glory

Re: Wouldn't it be good if........

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Just a thought, rather than buy ribbon and pins from Accy Market, buy direct from the manufacturer. A quick search on Google brought up lots. Delivery is normally by return, and someone may need to put it on a card. Thats what l used to do.

If you explain what it's for you may even get an even better price. Less cost = more free ribbons.

Good luck.
SORRY GARY BUT NO HAIR TO TIE THE RIBBONS IN?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2005, 14:38   #167
Resting in peace

I'm another devil's advocate, like A-B. Is there any form of market research that we could do, even standing in Accy with a clipboard, asking people if they would wear such a wristband/ribbon? It would be a great shame if the whole scheme were publicised and funded, ribbons etc made, and then too few people would take them up. I too have my doubts as to whether many people would wear them, particularly if it attracted unpleasantness from their neighbours, as it did in Northern Ireland. There are sections of the Muslim community who do feel some degree of support for the bombers - sad and misguided, but unfortunately true. Others might be unwilling to be seen to go against their co-religionists.

All that said, I wish the project the very best of luck and hope it does work. All right-thinking people, of whatever religion or colour, will condemn what was done, and should not be afraid to show it.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 23:03   #168
Resident Waffler

Any progress with this yet or has it died a death?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 08:54   #169
God Member

It hasn't died a death from my side yet. I've sent in a bid for £450 to Daniel Thwaites - it might take a few weeks before we hear back. In the meantime, I suggest trying some of the other ideas that have been put forward as a fallback.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 14:39   #170
Resident Waffler

Oh good

We're going away for a few weeks soon so I'll probably have to catch up with this when we get back.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 02:00   #171
Give, give, give member

Any further news on this re: funding, etc?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 08:16   #172
God Member

I received a letter this morning from Daniel Thwaites. It's short so I'll type the whole thing out for you.

Request for Funding
We can confirm that your request was given consideration by our Trustees, but regret to advise that we are unable to assist you on this occasion. This in no way reflects on your cause but is solely driven by the number of applicatins we have received and the strict rules of the Trust Deed.

Yours sincerely,
For Daniel Thwaites Charitable Trust

So sorry about that guys, I did try - if you're still interested in doing this perhaps we should be exploring the other ideas.

Old 23-09-2005, 08:20   #173
Beacon of light

Thanks for your hard work and efforts Gayle......but I think the moment has passed.......It would have been good if we could have got it off the ground in the very early days after the atrocity.......but now I think the passion has fizzled out. Thought I still think it is a good idea......Well, I would, wouldn't I.......?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 08:28   #174
God Member

I think it was an excellent idea Margaret. I'm sorry the funding didn't come through but at least we tried to do something.

Old 23-09-2005, 10:24   #175
Give, give, give member

Although I had my doubts about if this would work, but not your reasons for doing it, I do think it was a noble intention.

The rest of my nominations shall remain secret, but I have voted this the best serious issue thread.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..