Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2005, 22:49   #16
God Member

Re: Wouldn't it be good if........

I think we'll have to agree to disagree then Doug I think they were and still are an excellent idea for getting messages across to children. I have been in earshot of childrens conversations involving them.
Old 21-07-2005, 22:55   #17
Member.

Madam. I give way to you and I will stand to defend you belief. I would however ask you to demonstrate what colour you would have these wrist bands and why.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 22:58   #18
God Member

Good tactical move Doug putting me in a position like that may I have time to think on this question?
Old 21-07-2005, 23:01   #19
Member.

Madam. You may................

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 21-07-2005, 23:02   #20
Resident Waffler

How about a multicoloured one ranging through beige creams and chocolatey browns? I don't think anyone has those.

There's a multi coloured slightly yucky looking one for recycling (three different ones for that) so it isn't impossible to do.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 23:12   #21
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
How about a multicoloured one ranging through beige creams and chocolatey browns? I don't think anyone has those.

There's a multi coloured slightly yucky looking one for recycling (three different ones for that) so it isn't impossible to do.
My respects Willow. Would these colours not be seen as discriminatory or at least type casting ethnic minorities. I wouldn’t doubt that some would declare them Racist. This assumption is based on the colours selected and the suggestion that they represent the race of those through colour. I know this is stretching it, but we must not be seen to insult these people no matter how well intentioned the original idea.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 21-07-2005, 23:16   #22
God Member

I like that idea Willow going through all the colours of skin from the deepest black/brown to albino white
Old 21-07-2005, 23:21   #23
Member.

This might be of interest.

http://www.ajdirectory.co.uk/Society/racism.htm

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 21-07-2005, 23:25   #24
Senior Member+

hmmmmmmmm

that is actually a very good idea i have to say

i was thinkin more of ribbons rather than wristbands - they're already on the bottom rung of fashion...

i actually wudnt mind takin up on this - its a good idea - with proceeds going to charities.

colouring ideally wud b green and white. as this are unofficially the colours of islam...

but how wud u go about actually gettin the things into production?
Old 21-07-2005, 23:30   #25
Resident Waffler

I suppose a dual coloured ribbon would be easy enough to make. It could be done with a ribbon of each colour pinned together or woven as a striped thing. There must be a manufacturer. Who does the aids ones etc?

Old 21-07-2005, 23:32   #26
Member.

Well stated Mani. My concern was that we shouldn’t inadvertently cause offence by the misinterpretation in the use of colour. However, and I am looking to encourage constructive dialog not criticise or undermine anyone’s opinion here. Would those colours be seen as supporting Islam above integration of communities?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 21-07-2005, 23:35   #27
Member.

Mani, there are many producers of traditional Islamic dress across the North of England. The production of Ribbon shouldn't be that difficult to achieve. But it’s how you control how profits are managed and how the message is understood by all people.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 21-07-2005, 23:37   #28
Senior Member+

green and white wud b good
or green white red and blue - colours of islam and the uk flag... but wud they b too many?

doug - getting the right kind of press and the right image is everything but it shouldnt b too hard. i mean amir khan walkin into the reebok stadium with a uk flag and london written on it is a simple gesture yet so effective.

in ur concerns i can understand what ur saying. but if the ribbon was marketed simply as muslims against terrorism - no misinterpretation can really occur rite?
Old 21-07-2005, 23:40   #29
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
My respects Willow. Would these colours not be seen as discriminatory or at least type casting ethnic minorities. I wouldn’t doubt that some would declare them Racist. This assumption is based on the colours selected and the suggestion that they represent the race of those through colour. I know this is stretching it, but we must not be seen to insult these people no matter how well intentioned the original idea.
Well as I consider my skin to be a sort of pale beige colour (there are no "white" people) we are all shades of brown only some of us are paler than others. If you've ever had to mix "flesh pink" to paint a "white" person's portrait you'd know that it is actually created with brown. If you see the range as skin colours then they are ALL skin colours and in that case how can they be racist as they include all and exclude none?

Unless ............. I remember Billy Connolly once saying he objected to being called white as more often than not he was a sort of mottled purple in cold weather!

Mani's idea of the white and green colours of Islam could be seen as more exclusive in that they only represent one section of society. It would be nice if all people had something they all felt comfortable with and possibly non-muslims could feel excluded if the colours were chosen to represent Islam.

Old 21-07-2005, 23:41   #30
Senior Member+

if the whole thing is done properly - with clarity - it wouldnt be too difficult to get endorsements from orgs such as red cross and the british islamic council.

if the right channels are persued in teh correct manner - and the whole thing is done in such a way where perhaps only the costs are taken out and the rest to charity - it wud be easily done. the wholesale of these items could be all undertaken over the internet.

and people and companies would be more than willing to take such a marketing ideal up to show that they are indeed for islam and against terrorism.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..