Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2005, 09:12   #61
Resident Waffler

Re: Wouldn't it be good if........

When I went to bed last night I thought we'd decided on red white blue and green. That signifies unity between the red white & blue and green & white. It would be a shame if this didn't get off the ground because we couldn't agree on colours. Personally I liked the idea of shades of beige/cream to dark brown but I think I'm just biased because I like those colours anyway! I'm quite happy to go along with green white red and blue because it's the statement that matters most.

I think it says more about the person rejecting the idea if someone wouldn't wear it as A-b says because:

Quote:
you may find it difficult to persuade the majority population to accept colours which are primarily associated with the flag of Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
Tunisia is an Arab muslim country and their flag is red and white so that would even be encompassed by a red white green and blue one. So even if those colours would clash with most of my clothes I think I prefer them.

Mani was right about the rainbow coloured ones. Here they are.

Attached Images
File Type: gif Tunisia.gif (47.2 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 22-07-2005 at 09:20.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2005, 10:47   #62
Beacon of light

I don't care if it is a ribbon, a badge, a flower, a wristband.......all I really was trying to get across was......there are a whole lot of people who find terror as a weapon wrong........whatever it takes to get the message across should be used.......I think whatever IS used should bear the words 'not in my name'.....it could be worn by everybody.
Maybe it is even worth considering a wristband for the younger folk and a multi-coloured ribbon or badge for anyone else.

Mani.......good on you for getting involved. And thankyou for those of you who think that the basic idea was good.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 10:58   #63
Beacon of light

Thanks to all the people who have taken time to respond and all those who have boosted my Karma......you're GEMS......all of you!

Oh........ and if something good does come out of this suggestion, I hope Kipax will be pleased and forgive me for not posting the idea on Monday
Old 22-07-2005, 11:07   #64
Senior Member+

yeh but what aout when they go on sale and some musilems dont get the wrist bands on that day and you see them and you think they have liked what of gone on but realy thay have not got the rist bands yet
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 11:14   #65
God Member

I'll see if there is any funding around for this kind of thing. That way we can offer the first batch out free to all the communities in Hyndburn - let's start small with distribution but then see if we can expand it.

When Mani gets the quotes and a colour is decided on I'll see what I can do - no promises as this is a new one on me.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 11:24   #66
God Member

Quick question - does Accyweb have anything that could be used as a Constitution. In order to apply for funding from any of the bodies that I know you need a formal adopted constitution.

I've thought of one funding source already that might help but I know we need some sort of formal set up for it.

Old 22-07-2005, 11:25   #67
Beacon of light

Good on you Gayle......! and MCR ADIM......if you had read what I posted right at the beginning of this thread, you would see that NOT wearing wristband, ribbon, badge......or whatever does NOT mean you are in favour of the atrocities.......but wearing one shows violence was not done in your name.......!
Old 22-07-2005, 11:29   #68
Senior Member+

I think it is a great idea, but could it also benefit the terrorist supporters by them wearing the bands/ribbons to throw people off the scent.
Old 22-07-2005, 11:30   #69
Beacon of light

Gayle I think you might have to ask the moderators that one.
Old 22-07-2005, 11:33   #70
Beacon of light

Janet.......I thought about that, but I think that they would not be bothered wearing them, they would be more intent on their dastardly deeds.

Plus the aim is to make the main body of people identify with a condemnation of violence.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 22-07-2005 at 11:36.
Old 22-07-2005, 11:37   #71
Beacon of light

I REALLY do hope this idea takes off.
Old 22-07-2005, 11:42   #72
God Member

Right, it's possible that I might have found a source of funding. This is their criteria below and I think this would fit it.

To improve the management of local communities and groups.
To encourage greater involvement in local community activities.
To help community groups to improve their local neighbourhood.
To help culturally diverse communities explore their culture, history and traditions.
To develop a better understanding of cultural diversity and in so doing promote racial harmony and community cohesion.
To support any other activities by which local community and voluntary groups can contribute to the regeneration of their local area.

Only thing I'm trying to find out is if we've missed the deadline for it, which would mean that we'd have about six months to wait for the next one so it probably wouldn't be worth doing.

If Accyweb doesn't have a constitution I might have to work through another organisation like Hyndburn Women's Forum that I'm involved with. It would still be an Accyweb thing, I'm not trying to take it away just find a way to make it happen.

Old 22-07-2005, 11:44   #73
Beacon of light

Go for it Gayle.......let's make it happen.....one way or another.
Old 22-07-2005, 11:46   #74
Give, give, give member

I agree totally with the sentiments behind Margaret's sentiments for starting this thread. If it does get off the ground, good luck to you.

However as someone who has never worn a ribbon or a wristband, for reasons of my own, even though l have had many friends who have died because of AIDS or breastcancer, [the two main reasons for the fashion for ribbons and wristbands starting,] l have my reservations about it's impact.

I hope people across the community who choose not to wear the wristband/ribbon whatever their religious background, will not be targeted as someone who perhaps supports these acts of terror?

Like l posted sometime after reading in the Sunday papers, when the Uncle of one of the Yorkshire bombers said this kind of thing is 'inevitable' because of the way Muslim's are treated in this country, this is the kind of attitude that needs targeting, and won't be solved by us arguing about the colours to be used on this piece of well meaning tokenism.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 11:49   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet
I think it is a great idea, but could it also benefit the terrorist supporters by them wearing the bands/ribbons to throw people off the scent.
Good point, crossed my mind too. These fanatics would be given a safer passage?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..