Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2005, 14:20   #106
Beacon of light

Re: Wouldn't it be good if........

Dillon......I think you may have either not read all of this thread or in some way misinterpreted it........it is NOT aimed at fundraising......though if it did raise some funds then it would be good......it is NOT aimed at Muslims.....it is however, aimed at ALL people who want to declare their opposition to acts of terror as a weapon.
I am sorry if you find this thread distasteful.......so far I think you are in a minority.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2005, 14:20   #107
Resident Waffler

I've been out nearly all day up to now but had to pop back and see how this thread was doing.

I have never worn a ribbon either Garinda but I'd be more than happy to wear this one. If we could go for ribbons and wristbands it would be great because the ribbons have more visual impact and would be more likely to be worn by an adult whereas children are more likely to go for the wristband.

I totally agree that we shouldn't be put off by the people who are looking for all the reasons why it wouldn't work. Nothing would ever get done if everyone did that.

Good for you Gayle in your hunt for funding. That's brilliant. Even if we don't get financial backing from the Observer it wowuld make a good story for the paper and then it may just get noticed outside of our (Hyndburn) community too.

I like the "Not in my name" suggestion for a slogan. Firstly for the reasons Margaret says but it can also stand for retaliations on innocent muslims not being done in the name of non-muslims who are against that too. So it would be an all-encompassing statement for peace.

We MUST succeed with this!

Margaret and Mani, I can't give either of you karma because I'm told I have to spread it around a bit more first.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 14:25   #108
Beacon of light

Willow.....it is Ok, I would be so proud if this idea succeeded.
When the bombings happened I felt so impotent......like there was nothing I could do to help.......if this idea takes off, then I will feel that in some small way I have done something that just MAY make a difference.
Old 22-07-2005, 14:25   #109
Member.

I don’t think anyone here would be against your comments Dillon. You opinion is just as valid as anyone one else’s. I don’t believe that young Asians have been targeted by anyone here and any one person declining to wear a band or ribbon certainly will not mean they are supportive of anything other than the right of choice.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 14:26   #110
Senior Member+

i think at the moment as its friday and almost teh end of th day we're just gonna have to go thru the motions and wait till monday before anything really does go down

i'm off to work will b checkin this thread after 8...
Old 22-07-2005, 14:30   #111
Resident Waffler

Agree with what Doug says.

The existence of a wristband, ribbon or whatever is just giving people the opportunity to wear something visible to show they have strong feelings against terrorism, either by muslims or against muslims. If enough non-muslims see that not all muslims support the terrorists then perhaps the narrow minded people who have been behind "revenge attacks" might see how stupid they are.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 14:31   #112
Beacon of light

Good on you Doug.......and I would also say to Dillon.....if he had stayed on line long enough, that it is up to individual choice......no-one HAS to wear anything....wristband, ribbon, badge...unless of course they identify with the cause.

I haven't heard of any Christian fundamentalist group using terror tactics against innocent people, but if he has then I will listen.
Old 22-07-2005, 16:18   #113
Give, give, give member

I do think Dillon may have misinterpreted the ides behind this thread, for one thing it wasn't started to raise any funds. It was to show that all members of the community are against acts of terrorism, or at least the vast majority.

This isn't about race, creed or religion, but about people standing up and being counted. We must remember that all Muslims aren't Asian, like Dillon said there is a vast number of religions on that continent, just like every other. One of the bombers was Afro-Caribean and had a white wife. There were Muslim fatalies as well in the other weeks attacks.

I still have reservations about wearing your heart on your sleeves, but l will support and applaud your efforts for hopefully getting this off the ground. Could you not involve local Mosques? With backing from local Muslims l think it would add to the weight of what you are attempting to do.

With Gayle on side, l think you need to use her skills to raise as much public awareness of what the ribbons/wristband means, otherwise it may not be understood for what it is, ie: a visual anti terrorism campaign.

Good luck. Like l said l will not be wearing one, but applaud those that may choose too.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 16:45   #114
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as rindy said its not about raising funds, its about people against terrorism,people of all colours and creeds,whilst you are entitled to your opinon, i think dillon-you are one.
Old 22-07-2005, 17:03   #115
God Member

Actually Dillon's comments illustrate the necessity to be absolutely crystal clear about our motive and objectives.

I am sure that if we approached The Observer and The Lancashire Evening Telegraph and Local Radio they would carry the story and maybe even support it with a free advert or two. But first we need to be clear what the project is about, what it hopes to accomplish, who is expected to take part and where the writbands/ribbons can be obtained from.

I think that it is also important that we point out that the project has the ambition of obtaining National and potentially International coverage

Approaching local mosques and churches is vital for spreading the message, as are our lovely councillors, county councillors, Member of parliament and Member of the European Parliament.

Is there anyone skilled at copywriting for the advertising blurb????
Old 22-07-2005, 17:21   #116
Beacon of light

A-B......the aims of ribbons/wristbands would be to outwardly convey a disaffection with terror as a weapon. It is not aimed at just muslims, it is aimed at all people who found the London bombings atrocious. I don't think that we can proceed further at the moment until we can identify manufacturers and funding. I would hope that maybe what starts out as a local thing, could perhaps find favour nationally and perhaps even internationally.
Old 22-07-2005, 17:24   #117
Beacon of light

The other thing I would like to point out is, I believe, from reading what Dillon wrote, that either he has not read the whole of the thread.......or has in some way misinterpreted what was said. I feel that I have clearly outlined the objectives.......although if you feel that I have been 'woolly' I am fairly sure you will tell me.
Old 22-07-2005, 17:30   #118
land of hope and glory

all i can say about this is you cant judge a book by its cover? a leopard wont change its spots,where would the proceeds go?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 17:33   #119
Beacon of light

If there were any proceeds then they could go to charity......maybe the fund for the victims of the bombers.....as these were of all nationalities.
We aren't expecting leopards to change their spots......just hoping to unite people in a common cause.
Old 22-07-2005, 17:41   #120
Member.

Stand by your convictions Margaret. I would make charity the main focus of any profits that way no one can misinterpret your intentions. The only people who should benefit financially is the family’s of the victims of this tragedy and possibly others to come.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..