Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2005, 18:00   #121
Beacon of light

Re: Wouldn't it be good if........

There may not be any profits......but if there were then they would HAVE to go to a charity that supports the people most affected by 7/7
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2005, 18:05   #122
God Member

If I were to get any funding for this it would be because we wanted to give them out for free. If we were to charge for them it would make it complicated.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 18:21   #123
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i fail to see how anyone can misinterpret margarets intentions,if they do their either totally missing the point,or bigoted. sorry if that upsets anyone but i call it as i see it.
Old 22-07-2005, 18:26   #124
Beacon of light

Free would be good Gayle......I think there may be a better uptake too.
Old 22-07-2005, 18:45   #125
Senior Member+

Would you have to pay tax on the items if they were sold?
That could also make it more complicated.
Old 22-07-2005, 18:58   #126
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
If there were any proceeds then they could go to charity......maybe the fund for the victims of the bombers.....as these were of all nationalities.
We aren't expecting leopards to change their spots......just hoping to unite people in a common cause.
what i am aiming at is if you see a person wearing this band/ribbon you think to yourself well they support the cause! but you didnt see the backpack or wires hanging from there shirt.You can dress a wolf in sheeps clothes but it does not mean he is going to eat grass?

P.S didnt A-B put a sticky thread on general chat for peolpe to donate if they so wished?

Last edited by staggeringman; 22-07-2005 at 19:01.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 19:08   #127
Beacon of light

Yes...A-B did put a sticky thread for people to donate if they wished. This isn't really about donations....although it was a question that you asked so I did answer it.

But it is about attitudes......you talk of wolves in sheeps clothing.......is this to imply that all muslims are bombers?.....because that is the attitude I would like to combat.

This scheme, if it were to take off, would allow anyone regardless of their creed or nationality to SHOW disaffection with actions of terror
Old 22-07-2005, 19:18   #128

How about
Not in the name of Allah
acertun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 19:23   #129
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Yes...A-B did put a sticky thread for people to donate if they wished. This isn't really about donations....although it was a question that you asked so I did answer it.

But it is about attitudes......you talk of wolves in sheeps clothing.......is this to imply that all muslims are bombers?.....because that is the attitude I would like to combat.

This scheme, if it were to take off, would allow anyone regardless of their creed or nationality to SHOW disaffection with actions of terror
margaret what you are aiming to do is something that people all over the world have been trying to do for years, even the pope could not change the ways of the people that have this so called attitude,does a spy wear his uniform or does he go under cover? i think the world knows all about terroism and the people that plan these attrocities know that they are hated by those who oppose them but will they STOP!i dont think so.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 19:37   #130
Member.

This is always going to be a continuous issue isn’t it. No, not all Muslim are bombers, just like the fact that not all Muslims are Asian. Back in the 70s and early 80s large numbers of male Irish students with names like bomber and AK where hanging around the pubs in Accrington singing rebel songs. Everything was fine until an incident on the streets of London or Belfast then the recriminations would start and these people would fall back and maintain a respectful and discreet distance. I would suggest that we won’t see this sort of attitude from some religious or cultural groups Muslim or otherwise. We can only hope that innocent people don’t get targeted because of the actions of a few. But it won’t help the situation if these religious or cultural groups start shouting the odds in terms of injustice about human rights or oppression. If the individual shoot today was white would anyone have asked any questions, I think not, not even if he turned out to be a white Muslim? The fact he was Asian raised fears in the Islamic community of shoot to kill polices. What is my point? It is a fact of life that all of the bombers have been either Asian or Black and all most certainly Muslim. What Margaret is trying to do is offer the Muslim and Christian communities an opportunity to demonstrate their disgust at this murderous and senseless violence and show solidarity of British Multicultural Society.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 19:37   #131
Beacon of light

Staggeringman.......I would have to be pretty stupid and not a bit conceited to think that I can stop what other people braver and more intelligent than me could not stop.......but this isn't what this thread is about. It is about giving ordinary people a voice and a choice to wear something that says......NOT IN MY NAME........I can say it no clearer than that.

If you don't agree....... then you don't agree, but bad things happen because ordinary people let them, by doing nothing.
Old 22-07-2005, 19:41   #132
Beacon of light

Thank-you Doug........I'm losing my voice trying to explain my motives.
I have nothing at all to gain in this.......I am not trying to make money, all I would like to see is some community cohesion and less suspicion about muslims and asians (yes I know all Asians are not muslim......and all muslims are not asians)>
Old 22-07-2005, 19:49   #133
Member.

Stand by your convictions Margaret and you’ll find that somewhere others will stand with you. Opinion and constructive dialog is paramount and allowing other people the right of self expression is fundamental to what you’re trying to achieve. If we try to work together we will get somewhere, it might not be far, but at least we tried.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 19:53   #134
Beacon of light

Yes Doug there has certainly been some dialogue on this subject.....!

Oh and I haven't been convicted yet......just waiting for the jury to come back.......hehehe
Old 22-07-2005, 20:16   #135
God Member

Please don't misunderstand, Margaret, I am not criticising, just trying to think ahead and play devil's advocate.

I agree with Gayle that free would probably be the best idea otherwise you would get into all sorts of complications with the need to keep accounts and make them public to show where any money raised would go and then there is the Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise, to avoid having to hand over any of the proceeds to the government in taxation you would need to become a registered charity which means bookeeping and lots of it. Which means having people to keep the books and having money to pay them wages and NI contributions, and on and on and on.... I think free, small and local is probably best for now. As it is, you would probably have to keep some sort of accounting system to demonstrate that any grant funding was spent on what it was intended for. The granting body, or bodies, may well ask for some sort of end of project report too.

What we are taking on here is quite a commitment, even if it remains at local level. If it becomes National.......!

I think we all need to do some very careful thinking this weekend.

Oh, by the way, if we do decide to go ahead with this project, it might be an idea to register the band or ribbon etc in order to prevent the unscrupulous from making a fast buck at the expense of our public spiritedness and destroying all our good work.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 22-07-2005 at 20:25.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..