Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 22:14   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Yet another dog kills a child...

Quote:
I'm sure the poor child wouldn't be dead, or her grandmother still in hospital, if the dog had been a Poodle or a Yorkie, or any other dog not bred primarily for their aggression.
You really are a drama queen arnt you..... You should get a job for one of the cheap trashy tabloids.....

And you know very little about dogs too. You DRAMATICALLY say these dogs are bred for AGGRESSION.... aggression is a weakness in a dog bred for its fighting ability. Loyality is what makes a good fighting dog. the same loyalty that makes a FANTASTIC and faithfull family pet.

It is all about what you let the dog know you like....if you bang the door and tell it to get the cat in your garden, it will want too kill cats, if you introduce it to the cat nicely it will love cats...

SAME DOG different training....

Unfortunately due too street cred and the strength of pit bulls they do the most dramatic damage....

I remember researching a few years ago and finding that the dog that is responsible for the most biting instances on kids was the Golden Labrador....sorry but cant remember where....
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2007, 22:18   #107
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
News reports just come through, about yet two more dog attacks on children aged six and ten years in Newcastle, Police statement said they were Stafforshire Bullterriers, 'Itv lunchtime news Wednesday 3rd Jan.'
it was 2 boys and 2 girls that were attacked by the staffy dog,owner was traced and she said that she hadnt seen the dog since new yrs day,she should have reported it missing and that the dog was aggressive but she didnt and has now had the dog put down but she seems to have gotten away with any charges so far but i will tell more when i hear the local news tonight
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 22:25   #108
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
You really are a drama queen arnt you..... You should get a job for one of the cheap trashy tabloids.....

And you know very little about dogs too. You DRAMATICALLY say these dogs are bred for AGGRESSION.... aggression is a weakness in a dog bred for its fighting ability. Loyality is what makes a good fighting dog. the same loyalty that makes a FANTASTIC and faithfull family pet.

It is all about what you let the dog know you like....if you bang the door and tell it to get the cat in your garden, it will want too kill cats, if you introduce it to the cat nicely it will love cats...

SAME DOG different training....

Unfortunately due too street cred and the strength of pit bulls they do the most dramatic damage....

I remember researching a few years ago and finding that the dog that is responsible for the most biting instances on kids was the Golden Labrador....sorry but cant remember where....
I was being over dramatic?

Well I accuse you of being too simple to see the problem then.

Yes, these dogs can be well trained, though even that is no guarantee that they would never act out of character, and attack, or perhaps kill a child.

This doesn't take into account all the arse wipes of society, like this poor child's uncle, who have these dogs as a status symbol, and don't train them well, as has been tragically witnessed many times.

If I ever were to lower myself to write for a tabloid, I hope to God I'd never have to write about one of these dogs that wasn't controlled properly, running down from Rhyddings Park and attacking a child in your street Simon. Think about it. Are you happy with basically idiots having something that could attack a child, any child, on the streets? Sorry but I'm not.

It doesn't take much for any creature to revert to it's feral state, mankind included.

Last edited by garinda; 04-01-2007 at 22:27. Reason: s
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 22:34   #109
Senior Member+

i was attacked by a dog once it was a collie i found it in spring hill took it home because it was limping went to give it some food opened the can of dog food and it attacked me,pierced my hands i droped the tin and it must have been hungry as it ate the food then my mum phoned police to come and get it,this was in 90/91
Old 04-01-2007, 22:37   #110
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyalex View Post
i was attacked by a dog once it was a collie i found it in spring hill took it home because it was limping went to give it some food opened the can of dog food and it attacked me,pierced my hands i droped the tin and it must have been hungry as it ate the food then my mum phoned police to come and get it,this was in 90/91
I agree all badly trained dogs, of any breed, can be dangerous, but unlikely to be fatal, which is the case all too often with these dogs.

Unless of course Simon remembers, and can post details of the killer Labrador.

Old 04-01-2007, 22:40   #111

I have two big akita's who are my babies, they are as soft as s**t and would lick you to death rather than bite you, they both attended obedience classes and in the 3 years I have had them (since pups) they have never been anything other than perfect. Saying that I still would never trust them 100%, they are very big and powerful dogs and if they ever did turn then they could do a great deal of damage and so I treat them with respect, make sure they know who is the master and also keep a close eye on them. If people want to have big powerful dog then they must act like responsible owners and gain respect and trust from their pets, that way hopefully the dog will remain a loyal and tame pet. People who purposely breed dogs to flight are vermin and need putting down themselves, they are sick, it is cruel to the animal and as we have seen many times a danger to the community.
Old 04-01-2007, 22:47   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne72_uk View Post
Saying that I still would never trust them 100%, they are very big and powerful dogs and if they ever did turn then they could do a great deal of damage and so I treat them with respect, make sure they know who is the master and also keep a close eye on them.
I think that is a wise attitude. People wouldn't leave their kids with someone they couldn't trust 100%. A Pit Bull is no different, no matter how well trained.

Old 04-01-2007, 22:50   #113
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I agree all badly trained dogs, of any breed, can be dangerous, but unlikely to be fatal, which is the case all too often with these dogs.

Unless of course Simon remembers, and can post details of the killer Labrador.
it looked really harmless though,it was a lassie type dog,i think there called border collies
Old 04-01-2007, 22:54   #114
Give, give, give member

We must remember that if most dogs bit a child a reasonably active adult could rescue that child.

This poor girl's grandmother is still in hospital as well. Too ill even to answer police questions yet.

This attack wasn't a nip on the ankle, it resulted in the death of a five year old child, and the hospitalisaton of a grown woman.

Old 04-01-2007, 23:26   #115
Senior Member+

Labrador bites.

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL...attack2006.pdf

A strange one

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL...dordec2006.pdf

Another

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL...attack1206.pdf

More
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL.../lab092006.pdf

Now I could probably go on with a lot more bite incidents for lab, lab x, any dog can be a danger to a child, adult, the main thing regardless of breed is the upbringing of the animal and the owners knowledge of his/her dog.
***Mr D*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 23:30   #116
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Labrador bites.

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL...attack2006.pdf

A strange one

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL...dordec2006.pdf

Another

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL...attack1206.pdf

More

Now I could probably go on with a lot more bite incidents for lab, lab x, any dog can be a danger to a child, adult, the main thing regardless of breed is the upbringing of the animal and the owners knowledge of his/her dog.

Various attacks by other breeds, and a man dieing after being 'nipped' on the thumb by a Labrador and an infection developing, doesn't lessen the argument about freakin' ass wipes having these dogs.

Why so defensive?

What's your dog?

Old 04-01-2007, 23:45   #117
Give, give, give member

Sweet.

Old 05-01-2007, 00:00   #118
Senior Member+

I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a bad dog, but only bad dog owners.
over the centuries man has bred different dogs for different working tasks and yes some of these breeds are fighters however a well trained "dangerous dog" can make a very loving pet but ALL dogs, no matter what the breed have the potential to turn nasty whether this be through poor treatment or poor management ie. animal instincts taking over.
my old dog jethro was 12 stone of pure rottweiler muscle but he was well trained. He knew who was boss and responded to command instantly, he was loving and faithful yet he knew his job and his place. I respected him and he respected me.
and when it comes to potentially dangerous dogs that is a major key to success. The respect from the owner of the potential danger. Although i considered jethro to be well trained i still did not trust him 100%
and unfortunateley whilst any idiot can go and own dogs like these who don't know what they are doing and believe that the dog is just there to boost theie ever growing ego we will continue to see appalling stories like this in the news.
It is high time that the dog licence was reintroduced.

but please....
don't blame the dog....... Blame the owner!!!!!!!!!!!!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 00:05   #119
Resting in peace

Quote:
joanne_72 uk People who purposely breed dogs to flight are vermin and need putting down themselves, they are sick, it is cruel to the animal and as we have seen many times a danger to the community.
Well said, you have the experience of keeping large dogs, and the good sense to be carefull how you handle them, more power to your elbow.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 05-01-2007 at 00:09.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 00:09   #120
Senior Member+

thought i'd better add before anyone decides to tar me with the same brush
i didnt purposely get a rottweiler i rescued him from a bad owner!!!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..