Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 09:34   #1
Resting in Peace

Unhappy You couldn't make it up

Its no secret that I'm far from impressed by the way the NHS is managed, the sharp end is great, but the thick end in the Ivory Towers leaves a lot to be desired.

Its common knowledge that I am connected to oxygen 16 hours a day, but its not that straight forward, as it is strictly monitored, in as much that I have been regularly checked to make sure the amount I use is correct for my needs, my usage is now stabilized and am now on yearly checks as opposed to six monthly. These checks consist of lung function test plus blood test, but with a difference, the blood comes straight out of a main artery as opposed to a vein, which is rather painful to say the least. My last tests were done on Tuesday 12th May, with my next on Wednesday 12th May 2010, so I was a little puzzled when I received a letter last Friday asking me to attend an oxygen assessment at the Vic on Sept 18th, so I gave them a bell.

I was told that all the people who deal with assessments were out, but would get some one to ring me later that afternoon or Monday morning. She must have forgot it was a bank holiday, but I eventually got the call around 4pm yesterday. I explained that I had just had an assessment in May and was not due another until next May, she explained that those assessments were for oxygen I used in the home, but seeing I also have portable oxygen cylinders I needed a further assessment by her department which provide this service. I was speechless, which for me takes some doing. I just said your having a laugh aren't you, oh no that's how its set up, your jesting its a wind up surely, I'm just waiting for someone to come on the phone and say Gotcha, but no it was right.

She the went on to explain that with having the portables they had to make sure I was getting the best use of them whilst away from home. I just said well I pick it up put it in the car and use it if necessary whilst I'm out, oh you don't walk about with it then, well know, it takes me all my time to walk from my living room to answer the front door (as people on her that have visited my home will testify to) I just said jokingly that I wasn't about to strap a cylinder on my back and do an impression of Ghost Busters down Union road.

My all point is why is there two departments doing the same job, why is everything being duplicated, its a waste of funds which could be put to better effect within the NHS, its a total nonsense

Last edited by jaysay; 02-09-2009 at 09:37.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2009, 10:07   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: You couldn't make it up

Forgive my ignorance, but if assessment of your needs is so critical to your wellbeing, you mention they used to be carried out every six months, but this was reduced to an annual check, isn't it better that your care is monitered more regularly?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:31   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but if assessment of your needs is so critical to your wellbeing, you mention they used to be carried out every six months, but this was reduced to an annual check, isn't it better that your care is monitered more regularly?
Well they seem to know better than me Rindi, and the less I have to go anywhere near the hospital is fine my me. I have regular checks by my community matron and I can keep track of my own oxygen levels myself as I have an oximeter at home which tells me what my saturation levels are, if they drop bellow a certain level on a regular basis I can ring the COPD team for advice. This other assessment was nothing to do with the clinical need side of my treatment, which to me made it futile to say the least. A check on my outside the home needs can just as easily be monitored at the same time as my medical assessment, as here is a 45 minute time span when I'm sat there doing nothing, but waiting for my second blood tests after I've been on oxygen for that period of time, seems simple to me, but obviously not to the people sat in their ivory towers
Old 02-09-2009, 11:26   #4
Give, give, give member

You say that you can 'keep track' of your own needs, perhaps not everyone is in the same fortunate position to be able to do that.

Unless I'm missing the point, more regular monitoring of a patient's needs can surely only be a good thing?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:38   #5
white rabbits

Take care of yourself jaysay ,Your lungs are precious,,,
Old 02-09-2009, 15:41   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You say that you can 'keep track' of your own needs, perhaps not everyone is in the same fortunate position to be able to do that.

Unless I'm missing the point, more regular monitoring of a patient's needs can surely only be a good thing?
You are missing the point Rindi, the appointment at the Vic was nothing to do with clinical need, it was merely for appliance use, which could just as easily be done at one appointment instead of using resources on two different departments.
Old 02-09-2009, 17:19   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You are missing the point Rindi, the appointment at the Vic was nothing to do with clinical need, it was merely for appliance use, which could just as easily be done at one appointment instead of using resources on two different departments.
Look at the bright side ... you ain't in the US of A
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 17:31   #8
Give, give, give member

Perhaps they're worried you're using up more than your fair share of hot air.

Old 02-09-2009, 17:40   #9
God Member

Quote:
Perhaps they're worried you're using up more than your fair share of hot air.

I thought that a limitless amount of hot air is produced regularly in Westminster
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 22:18   #10
God Member

Please try and keep it vaguely on topic guys For new members who might not be aware of the rules please see http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...mer-29681.html

A thread for the other topic that was being discussed has been created here for you to continue: http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ons-49180.html
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04   #11
God Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles Jaysay. It does make no sense that two departments are doubling their workload. The NHS does seem to be in quite a mess. I was at A&E the other day, and if the reason wasn't for my heart it would have been a 4 hour waiting time. 4 hours sat with about 20 people all bunched up tightly in a shed.. I mean Blackburn Royal A&E. There were no doctors on site for a large time period, and just 1 the rest of the time. Its all pen pushers not doctors and nurses. The doctors and nurses are too stressed from all the needless administration that any extra ones this government claim we have are all off sick.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:30   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
and if the reason wasn't for my heart it would have been a 4 hour waiting time. 4 hours sat with about 20 people all bunched up tightly in a shed..
So I take it your medical urgency was assessed quite quickly then, and you were seen by a doctor, and didn't yourself sit in 'a shed' for four hours?

It's a pity you weren't 'bunched up tightly' with the other people waiting their turn, you could perhaps have had the chance to 'hug a hoodie' whilst you waited.

Having been wheeled through the Royal's A & E department myself, I can't say my experience was seen through the same eyes as your's, other than I too was seen by a doctor very quickly because of a suspected heart attack.

As for the 'shed'. your garden must be very fancy ideed to have something comparable to Blackburn Royal's new A & E.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:30   #13
God Member

for a second jaysay i toughtthey were after taking you potable device off you because you wernt actually walking the streets with it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:46   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
for a second jaysay i toughtthey were after taking you potable device off you because you wernt actually walking the streets with it
To be quite honest accyman that is what they do actually, so I do use my portable equipment when I go out at weekends, because If I didn't I would be totally stranded, its bad enough that I am totally tied down 16 hrs everyday, but at least I can go out at weekends and go to my daughters when its possible, its like everything if you don't use it you lose it
Old 03-09-2009, 08:55   #15
Give, give, give member

Not being a member of any party, and having no desire to spin any political misinformation myself, the care I receive from the N.H.S. is excellent, and a million times better than my friends in the U.S. who have Parkinson's disease.

Perhaps I have missed the point Jaysay, but having checks that went down from six months to every year, but are now to be more regular than that, I see only as a positive, especially for those people who aren't as obviously clued up as yourself.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..