Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2021, 10:35   #46
Beacon of light

Re: You have an unread message.

I think you are right MH...success in something will fire up enthusiasm and enthusiasm is catching.....you can't light a fire with a damp match.

I was encourages(well that was what my manager told me it was) into teaching of my subject...and found that although I had a hesitant start, I actually enjoyed getting people interested in learning.
It just came a bit late in my career.
My first love though, was looking after patients.
taddy likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-01-2021, 10:53   #47

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1248678][QUOTE=taddy;1248676]
Sorry that the youtube videeo would not load for you(you need to download the plug in.....that will be something else for you to learn, but it would be so worth it...because youtube doesn't just tell you...It shows you)

I hope that the written version will help you Taddy.

Thanks for that Marge, I have just followed your written instructions and Hay Hoe Silver Lining, I feel my sun is shining,as the old pop record used to say.
Yes, Yes, Yes,I have now cleared all my history from, as Google says, "The biginning of time".
I still do not know how to load "the plug in" but I do know that with my Computer still operating with Windows X.P. I cannot load (obtain) such things as "Flash Player". Maybe that is why it will not accept a plug in.
Over to you Miss, as we used to call our teachers.
Yours, still a Luddite, But learning, (slowly).
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:07   #48

[QUOTE=Lost in Cornwall;1248686]I remember Ivor Jeremiah and his wife, Mabel. Used to live on Grange Street in Clayton. Somebody stopped my mother in the street one day asking if she new where Mr Miah lived. Said she'd never heard of him until the chap said he was sure he lived round here somewhere. Mr Jerry Miah.

As I said in my previous post, I only knew (Mr. Jeremiah),for three days, you never called him Ivor, I found him a very likeable fella, it was having to go into the bowels of the earth that I could not put up with. I have said ever since and that was nearly 60 years ago, (If ever I had to mine my own coal, then I would burn wood.

All the best for the new year, Yours the Lancashire Luddite.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:20   #49

that i found out through life is totally true. same as doing practical tasks as well as learning. sometimes you have a knack to do certain things so that gives you the interest as you have an edge on others. remember being on the buses where we had a batch of 8 AEC double deckers. no drivers liked em but me. i had a knack of driving em so became interested in driving em to a point of asking the garage forman to allocate me one if possible. it wasn,t a situation of being different from others for the sake of it just something that happened.

As I dont know you age, please do not take offence at this question M.H. Did you work on Accrington Corporations Buses? if so were you there at the same time as my late Father in Law, John Rennie Pickup.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:03   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post

As I dont know you age, please do not take offence at this question M.H. Did you work on Accrington Corporations Buses? if so were you there at the same time as my late Father in Law, John Rennie Pickup.
74 years old, not young. i worked on the buses in hudderfield at their corporation before moving to rugby on the midland red then travel west midlands at coventry before i worked my own ticket to get out of the industry after nearly 40 years.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:06   #51

Thanks for the reply MH, I will be the same age as you in a months time, stay young, stay happy; Yours, The Luddite.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:27   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=taddy;1248700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
I remember Ivor Jeremiah and his wife, Mabel. Used to live on Grange Street in Clayton. Somebody stopped my mother in the street one day asking if she new where Mr Miah lived. Said she'd never heard of him until the chap said he was sure he lived round here somewhere. Mr Jerry Miah.

As I said in my previous post, I only knew (Mr. Jeremiah),for three days, you never called him Ivor, I found him a very likeable fella, it was having to go into the bowels of the earth that I could not put up with. I have said ever since and that was nearly 60 years ago, (If ever I had to mine my own coal, then I would burn wood.

All the best for the new year, Yours the Lancashire Luddite.
thats the guy who sacked me, Mr Jerimiah.
Old 04-01-2021, 14:38   #53

Were you stealing coal ?
Old 04-01-2021, 15:07   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Were you stealing coal ?
Not at all mate it was some brothers from burnley trying to boss everyone about they picked on the wrong lads.
taddy likes this.
Old 04-01-2021, 16:45   #55

I think he became a JP later on.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..