Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 14:51   #16

Re: you will pray to Allah

What a state of affairs. No wonder people get annoyed.

Teaching kids to have respect for the belief of another is one thing, this is just OTT
Old 05-07-2008, 15:00   #17
Resident Waffler

Learning about another religion is fine by me. I love to learn about the beliefs and practices of others, but being expected to participate in it is something entirely different. To me, as a Mormon, God and Jehovah are not the same person. It is against our religion to partake of alcohol and my children would be mortified if they were ever expected to participate in a communion service which involved drinking wine. Don't Muslims have the same taboo? They revere Jesus as a prophet but not as the divine Son of God - so how would the Muslim parents feel if their children had been asked to quote from our creed "We believe in God, the eternal Father and in his Son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost."?

I think if the teacher had tried to force children to participate in a religion which was not their own then the teacher was very foolish indeed and added insult to injury by giving detention to those who refused.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 15:15   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Just imagine if all ballpoint pens could be taught that there is a biro heaven?

Can you imagine the disappointment after going through it's useful life of writing, being used to prise wax out of ears, abused as an adult teething ring and having it's top chewed away,then facing the final humiliation of being buried with all the loose change in the back of a sofa.

After all that it turns up at the pearly gates and is told,

Go away, you're not a biro you're a bic!

Well that seems to me to be the spouting of most major religions!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 15:19   #19
Resident Waffler

Not quite. We believe in a loving God we gives people the benefit of the doubt if they've lived the best way within their own belief system.

I feel sadder for the poor biro which spent all its ink declaring there was no supreme ballpen and chose to stay down in the crevices of the settee instead of accepting the chance to come out and live again with a brand new refill.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 15:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Not quite. We believe in a loving God we gives people the benefit of the doubt if they've lived the best way within their own belief system.

I feel sadder for the poor biro which spent all its ink declaring there was no supreme ballpen and chose to stay down in the crevices of the settee instead of accepting the chance to come out and live again with a brand new refill.
No need to feel sad, even the 100 for a pound ballpoint pens will receive redemption if the Lord of all that runs on paper is a loving and retractable God, for he will understand and forgive them their ways even if to prove their disbelief they let all their ink run over a brilliant white shirt pocket.

Otherwise he isn't very loving or forgiving is he?
Old 05-07-2008, 15:44   #21
Give, give, give member

Double, double toile and trouble ;
Fire burn and Cauldron bubble.

If the children were asked to act out a scene from Macbeth, would the parents be worried their offspring were being asked to partake in pagan rituals?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:29   #22
God Member

[quote=WillowTheWhisp;602482]is against our religion to partake of alcohol and my children would be mortified if they were ever expected to participate in a communion service which involved drinking wine.quote]

I must say the wine drinking bit is the only part of christianity that appeals to me..............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:54   #23
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=pipinfort;602545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
is against our religion to partake of alcohol and my children would be mortified if they were ever expected to participate in a communion service which involved drinking wine.quote]

I must say the wine drinking bit is the only part of christianity that appeals to me..............
Is it real wine Pipinfort or just ribena.. always wondered ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 17:02   #24
God Member

[quote=katex;602571]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post

Is it real wine Pipinfort or just ribena.. always wondered ?
Don`t you dare shatter my childhood memories....RIBENA how dare you!!!
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 17:04   #25
Senior Member+

Ahhh! The Star and (surprise, surprise) The Daily Mail. I'd never have guessed.

How many threads have we had like this that are based on Daily Mail articles? I've pointed loads out over the last couple of months, but nobody takes any notice.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Ahhh! The Star and (surprise, surprise) The Daily Mail. I'd never have guessed.

How many threads have we had like this that are based on Daily Mail articles? I've pointed loads out over the last couple of months, but nobody takes any notice.
Ahhhh! Tin Monkey, you have pointed lot's of things out but this time I've noticed, though like the rest I probably won't pay any attention!

Old 05-07-2008, 17:18   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The most preposterous notion that Homo Sapiens have ever dreamed up, is that there is a lord of creation, the supposed shaper and ruler of the universe, needs the saccharine adoration of his creatures, can be swayed by their prayers and becomes petulant if he does not receive this flattery.

Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred af evidence to support it, pays the expenses of one of the oldest and least produtive industries in all of mans history.

Retlaw
Gotta agree with this .... or most of it .... as long as it doesn't rule out individuals having personal spiritual beliefs which they can use to govern how they live ... but it's personal, not institutionalized .... I particularly agree with the last part. There is probably more evidence to support a belief in alien visitations; and there is more likelihood of their being other life in the universe, than there is of some omnipotent being, whatever you wish to call him. Ironically, you run little risk of being ridiculed if you claim you have had a vision of god; but will be dubbed a fool if you claim you have seen visitors from anothe planet (tho' why any alien life form would want to visit this screwed up place, I don't know)

In general, this seems so outrageous that it seems like someone is having us on ... seems like the sort of story that should come out on April 1. What the hell is happening over there .... I think "reasonable accomodation" in your country has gone way too far. But that's just an observation from an alien
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 17:42   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I agree with you cashy, but I'm resigned to the fact that our system is run by dogooders and we have to conform or whoe betide, its a one sided arguemnt in this country now, we have to conform to what other races want, but they please themselves and stick two finger up to the indigenous population, we're the racists they're just misunderstood
thats were we differ mate, i stick two fingers up at them.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:43   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Ahhhh! Tin Monkey, you have pointed lot's of things out but this time I've noticed, though like the rest I probably won't pay any attention!

I'd expect no 'Less'.
Old 05-07-2008, 18:30   #30
Super Moderator

Easy enough to sort all this malarky out...do like the French and make all schools secular. No "faith schools", no RI lessons, no religious assemblies etc. If parents want their kids to to grow up in a certain religion (or learn about other faiths), then teach them at home.

Incidentally, I love it in situations like that this when people who don't go to church from one year to the next start protesting that "this is a Christian country". Oh, yeah, sure.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..