Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 09:17   #46
Super Moderator

Re: you will pray to Allah

I would've thought that if you were Christian enough to start protesting that "this is a Christian country" whenever the Daily Mail run one of their scare stories, you'd be Christian enough to go to church at least once in a while (apart from wedding, christenings and funerals!).
Old 06-07-2008, 10:10   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just out of interest,who's the local M.P. down that way?
Can't work out if your being sarcastic cashy or you really want to know. If I remember rightly its a bloke called Timpson
Old 06-07-2008, 10:13   #48
Resting in Peace

When I went to the Holy Family R.C. school we had a couple of none catholics in our class, they were allowed to miss R.E. if they wanted and if there was ever a mass said at school they were allowed to stay out
Old 06-07-2008, 10:27   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

when i was at the Tech it was similar, was me n about 6 R.C.s in the school, we did not go into assembly until after the prayers, we had prayers with a catholic teacher in a classroom, then only joined assembly fer the notices/announcements, didn't see owt wrong with that, still don't.
Old 06-07-2008, 13:15   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can't work out if your being sarcastic cashy or you really want to know. If I remember rightly its a bloke called Timpson
i just assumed it was obviously a conservative.
Old 06-07-2008, 15:01   #51
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: you will pray to Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Double, double toile and trouble ;
Fire burn and Cauldron bubble.

If the children were asked to act out a scene from Macbeth, would the parents be worried their offspring were being asked to partake in pagan rituals?
Ah! But Macbeth is fiction although it could be argued by none believers that so is religion. However believers believe that their religion is fact and it is what they believe what counts for them.

So your attempt at pseudo cleverness falls flat on its face.
Old 06-07-2008, 15:14   #52
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: you will pray to Allah

Islam does not recognise other religions so there is absolutely no chance of a Muslim school teaching Muslim children about other religions.

In my view religious instructions should be extra curricular and done out of normal school hours. If the parents want their kids to follow a particular religion then let their church/mosque/synagogue/temple do the teaching. As Wynonie Harris has already pointed out schools in the UK should be secular. Even schools run by a religious order. Religion should be taught by the church/mosque/synagogue/temple for those who wish to take part.

A point of order here Wynonie Harris. We refer to this country as a Christian country because it is and has been for centuries and all residents of this country should recognise it as such.

Islam, as decreed in the Koran, is pushing its way into this country step by slow cancerous step and we are bending over backwards to aid its mission. It has gone so far as to have a judge declare that Sharia Law could be acceptable in this country for specific issues – as reported in the Express on Friday.

Learning about all the major religions of the world is fine as far as it goes, it is just another subject but making pupils enact an act of worship in any of them is totally wrong. The teacher at the centre of this controversy should be sacked after apologising profusely to the children and their parents.

Yeh! I know! I can dream!

At secondary school, which was not a Catholic school and by virtue of my parents’ wishes I was a Catholic, would have assembly prayers in the morning and none Church of England pupils would use a classroom for their prayers. RI (being religious instruction rather than religious education) was the same. We Catholics would use a different classroom where we were obliged to read the Catholic bible because there was no one to teach us Catholicism.

It was exactly the same in the navy. The various religious groups were separated for prayer time.
Old 06-07-2008, 15:40   #53
Senior Member+

jambutty - once again ur ignorace in ur face

my niece goes to an islamic school and they do teach them about other religions - they had a huge thing about judism

and islam does recognise other religions - where u read this tripe i dont know - but its thick ass ppl like u that deserved to be shariah'd till their own paranoia eats them.

tell me will those sepcific issues ever ever ever affect a non-muslim? the decisions according to shariah are made but at the end of the day the uk law over rules it all - read about numpty ok?
Old 06-07-2008, 16:14   #54
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: you will pray to Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
jambutty - once again ur ignorace in ur face

my niece goes to an islamic school and they do teach them about other religions - they had a huge thing about judism

and islam does recognise other religions - where u read this tripe i dont know - but its thick ass ppl like u that deserved to be shariah'd till their own paranoia eats them.

tell me will those sepcific issues ever ever ever affect a non-muslim? the decisions according to shariah are made but at the end of the day the uk law over rules it all - read about numpty ok?
If the best that you can do is to get abusive and doing a bit of name calling then consider yourself ignored.
Old 06-07-2008, 16:31   #55
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why do you have to go to church to be a christian?
You don't IMO.
If you live your life in as good a way as possible,be polite and thoughtful,loving and caring towards your fellow man etc.. then surely these are all Christian acts?
Also you don't have to go to church to pray or practise your religion.
Old 06-07-2008, 16:44   #56
Senior Member+

*L* there is a god! i knew communion would pay off some day!
Old 06-07-2008, 16:49   #57
Super Moderator

OK, Christianity may be the official state religion of the UK, but is it really a Christian country when there are so few adherents? I don't have the official figures to hand, but I'm sure I read somewhere that less than 10% of the population are regular church goers. Not what I call a Christian country.

However, one thing that does concern me - why do so many Accywebbers set such great store by the journalistic standards of the Daily Mail? Time after time, someone comes on here with some fresh "outrage" perpetrated against God-fearing white Britishers which inevitably stirs up a hornet's nest of righteous indignation. But how accurate are these stories? Well, there was the tale of the Indian couple who dumped their newly born twin girls...which turned out to be a load of old cobblers. As Cashy said at the time, "Ah, The Daily Mail, why does this not surprise me?" Don't believe everything you read in the Mail!
Old 06-07-2008, 16:59   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
You don't IMO.
If you live your life in as good a way as possible,be polite and thoughtful,loving and caring towards your fellow man etc.. then surely these are all Christian acts?
Christians don't have a monoply on "polite and thoughtful,loving and caring towards your fellow man"

People with NO religion are very capable of doing the same, and don't expect heaven as a reward.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 17:09   #59
Loz

I wasn't trying to say that Margeret.
I am not religious whatsoever but believe myself to be christian in my approach to other people.
Sorry if my point didn't come across in the right way.
My other point about praying and practising religion holds up though.
Old 06-07-2008, 19:23   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
the islamaphobia and the racism of accyweb never fails to amaze me

everyone is quick to jump up on the theory what if it was the other way around

ARE YOU PEOPLE DUMB OR JUST PLAIN STUPID?!

what about the fact for the first 10 yrs of my school life i was sayin the lords prayer every morning?!

what about the fact that i'd been in church kneeling down head bowed sayin a prayer for easter???

when i was a kid i'd actually got the whole blessing by holy water cross on my forehead and the piece of something circle

yes this incident was outta of order IF it was as the mail reported it - and we all know about their reporting!

so how about half of u lot get ur heads outta ur asses and see what really happens instead of theorizing it on the net eh?

Why did your parents send you to a church school and not a county school of no particular religion?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..