Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 19:27   #61
God Member

Re: you will pray to Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why do you have to go to church to be a christian?

No-one's saying that you do but you usually find that some people come up with all sorts of reasons for not going to church which is fine, you can have a christian life and not go to church.....but they still expect the church to be there for their weddings, christenings, funerals, getting the child into St Christopher's etc.
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2008, 20:12   #62

what has happened to this country? it does not seem to be British anymore. And what happened to "When in Rome do as the Romans do"
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 20:56   #63
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
getting the child into St Christopher's etc.
Which is getting even harder since they changed the admission criteria. This only those with 4 attendances in Church per month got in ( 1st time ever that has happened). Last year some with 3 got it. Not sure if any 2's did, I can't remember. They were massively over subscribed, well over double if I remember correctly.
Old 06-07-2008, 21:28   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Which is getting even harder since they changed the admission criteria. This only those with 4 attendances in Church per month got in ( 1st time ever that has happened). Last year some with 3 got it. Not sure if any 2's did, I can't remember. They were massively over subscribed, well over double if I remember correctly.
Hmmmm. I wonder how long some of those people had been going to church before they got the child in at St Christopher's and how long they will keep going after they got confirmation that the child had got a place.

Getting into St Christopher's or any church school is only hard if you begrudge going to church in which case you would be a hypocrite for wanting your child to go to a church school, wouldn't you?
Old 06-07-2008, 21:48   #65
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
No-one's saying that you do but you usually find that some people come up with all sorts of reasons for not going to church which is fine, you can have a christian life and not go to church.....but they still expect the church to be there for their weddings, christenings, funerals, getting the child into St Christopher's etc.
Some people do yes and i think that is wrong.
I chose to get married at accy registry office because i am an atheist and don't go to church so it would be hypocritical of me to want to get married in a church.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:58   #66
Resident Waffler

I've asked both my daughters if either of them have ever been asked to act out praying to Allah in their R.E. class at Moorhead and neither of them have, so it looks like it must be down to the personal interpretation of the curriculum by the individual teachers. I also asked them what they would do if they had been asked to do that and both said they would object and not wish to participate, but before anyone decides to call them racist or Islamophobic please bear in mind that they have and have had Muslim friends in college/high school/primary school.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:06   #67
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
what has happened to this country? it does not seem to be British anymore. And what happened to "When in Rome do as the Romans do"
And what has happened to the 'Christian' attitude of live and let live?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:48   #68
Resident Waffler

I'm all for live and let live as long as I'm allowed to be let live my way too. Nobody should be forced into something that goes against their own beliefs and culture.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:56   #69
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm all for live and let live as long as I'm allowed to be let live my way too. Nobody should be forced into something that goes against their own beliefs and culture.
In that case will you be so kind as to tell the missionary's from your Church to stop knocking on peoples doors!

I have no objection to you praying but don't force your beliefs onto my doorstep!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:13   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
In that case will you be so kind as to tell the missionary's from your Church to stop knocking on peoples doors!

I have no objection to you praying but don't force your beliefs onto my doorstep!
Amen to that Less
Old 07-07-2008, 11:38   #71
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: you will pray to Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Agreed!

I look forward to reading WillowTheWhisp’s response.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:57   #72
Resident Waffler

I have no authority over the missionaries so I can't instruct them to do or not to do anything. Actually they would much prefer to be invited to share the Gospel with people who have already expressed a desire to know and requested that they call but when that doesn't happen then they go out looking for people who might be interested but wouldn't know how to reach them, or even may not realise they want to know until they hear.

If you tell them specifically that you do not want any missionaries ever to call at your door again then they should make a note of that and pass it on.

However, having said that they are young and they are keen and they are enthusiastic and they are optimistic and they hope that either a) you will change your mind at some point in the future and be glad that they called again (not so far fetched as I have actually known this to happen) or b) you may have moved house and the new occupant may actually want to hear what they have to say.

If you were to question our church members about how they came to be members of the church you'll find a large percentage of them will tell you it is because the missionaries called at their home one day. Those people are glad that they did.

If you don't want to know then just tell them that. No-one will ever try to force anyone to join our church. That would be pointless. It has to be because people want it.

I've had Jehovah's Witnesses call here and I have no intention of ever becoming one but we've had some very long and interesting discussions and agreed to disagree without any animosity.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:04   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:

I've had Jehovah's Witnesses call here and I have no intention of ever becoming one but we've had some very long and interesting discussions and agreed to disagree without any animosity.
A lot of that is due to the fact that the 'Jehovah's Witnesses' are not a conversionist sect. When they knock on people's doors they are not trying to convert you, but to spread the 'good word' far and wide. That is the way to their salvation.

I too have had a few interesting discussions with members of that sect/denomination, but they've always ended amicably. If I don't have time to talk I tell them politely and they always leave showing no animosity.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
I agree with you the willow... like i have said before... i am interested in other peoples religions and beliefs and will chat about it with anyone that comes to my door...

Maybe you should listen to what they have to say before saying that their religion is shoved down you throat... i have never felt pressured into agreeing with anyone elses religion, i have my own and i am happy with it.....But finding out about other peoples religions and beliefs brings a better understanding of the people,and imo lessers the chances of stereotyping and prejudice of that particular group............

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:10   #75
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
A lot of that is due to the fact that the 'Jehovah's Witnesses' are not a conversionist sect. When they knock on people's doors they are not trying to convert you, but to spread the 'good word' far and wide. That is the way to their salvation.

I too have had a few interesting discussions with members of that sect/denomination, but they've always ended amicably. If I don't have time to talk I tell them politely and they always leave showing no animosity.

That does surprise me. I always thought it was their aim to convert others to their faith.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..