Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 17:00   #91
Resident Waffler

Re: you will pray to Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
If my kids came home and told me they were made to pray to Allah, I would go ruddy mental!

I do NOT believe there is any God, im a atheist., so why on earth should my kids learn about summat that does not exist....To me or them?

I have nothing against Religion but my kids do not need preaching too either.
And I agree that you have every right to feel that way. The school's role is to teach about the existence of religions and about the practices of those religions, not to preach on behalf of any of them.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2008, 17:02   #92
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
If my kids came home and told me they were made to pray to Allah, I would go ruddy mental!

I do NOT believe there is any God, im a atheist., so why on earth should my kids learn about summat that does not exist....To me or them?

I have nothing against Religion but my kids do not need preaching too either.
Are you not prepared to let your kids make their own minds up, I would never have tried to influence mine, in as much I'm a life long Rovers fan both my girls support United
Old 07-07-2008, 17:02   #93
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No I won't, I suggest you read through your own posts and see if there is something lacking in your Christian spirit, I am an atheist not your pastor!
OK, I'll read everything I've written and try to work out what you may have interpreted as an unChristian attitude but as I have not intended to post anything of that nature then I may miss what you're getting at. It would have helped me to understand what you're referring to if you could just point it out to me.

There are people on here who are intolerant of Christians and people who are intolerant of Muslims. I do not mean to sound intolerant of anyone and I sincerely apologise if anything I have said has given anyone that impression.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 07-07-2008 at 17:04.
Old 07-07-2008, 17:29   #94
Resident Waffler

OK Less, I've read all my posts up to the one of yours where you said I had an unChristian attitude and I can't seem to find anything in any of them which could be what you are referring to. I am genuinely perplexed. If you don't want to help me out by pointing it out to me perhaps someone else can see it and show me.

The very first thing I said was in post #17:
Quote:
Learning about another religion is fine by me. I love to learn about the beliefs and practices of others, but being expected to participate in it is something entirely different.
I have never deviated from that point nof view throughout the thread.

Old 07-07-2008, 17:37   #95
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Are you not prepared to let your kids make their own minds up, I would never have tried to influence mine, in as much I'm a life long Rovers fan both my girls support United
I think they already have

They have asked me if there is a God, i reply in saying....to me, ...no, but its up to you, what you believe....
Old 07-07-2008, 17:38   #96
Passed away 25-11-09

I found nothing in your posts to object to, Willow. Your views were no different to those of many who accept the beliefs of others while feeling unable to share them.

I'm agnostic, myself, educated in catholicism, by my R C mother, and brought up by my agnostic father to detest intolerance in any form. In fact it's one thing I just can't tolerate. (Sorry - I couldn't resist that ).
Old 07-07-2008, 17:46   #97
Resident Waffler

I know it sounds daft but I know what you mean. Intolerance bugs me too.

Old 07-07-2008, 18:16   #98
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: you will pray to Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Still would view this as play acting ... just the physical side of worship to show how it is done, and have no objection if it were a child of mine. Most kids of 11/12 years would just giggle when doing something foreign to them as this. It's what is in your heart whilst doing it, not just getting on your knees and facing Mecca.

Can always cross your fingers behind your back Willow...

I go to church weddings, etc., and although I have no religious feelings, will bow my head, even recite The Lord's Prayer in respect for the main players. What I am probably thinking at the time is what I will organise for my tea the next day, etc.
Sorry katex but kids are like sponges. They will soak up what is shown or told to them even if they or their parents don’t realise it from a very early age. That's how they learn.

I never did Latin at school but I can remember the words to Adeste Fidelis and the Hail Mary and Our Father in Latin. I can still remember parts of the mass in Latin and I was never an alter boy. Why because it was drilled into me whilst still very young and I consider that I was brain washed starting at a very young age.

It was only when I started at the Ossy Tech that I was able to start to throw off the shackles of religious indoctrination and finally managed after I joined the navy. Even in the intervening years as a scout with the Loyola Troop based at the Sacred Heart church in Accrington the Catholicism was reinforced. It was all the religious mumbo jumbo that saw me leave the scouts and join the Air Training Corps.

Get the kids young enough or plant a seed and there is a good chance you have them for life or at least until they wise up.

Do the teachers make the kids re-enact Marco Polo’s adventures in the Far East?
Old 07-07-2008, 18:22   #99
Resting in Peace

My two children and my grandaughter attended what I would describe as Christian schools, grandaughter attending a Catholic college in Leeds.

Son took Religious Education at G.C.S.E. level, and grandaughter just done her A-level in this subject.

They are all atheists (not my doing .. have made their own minds up), neverless, enjoyed this subject tremendously. Not what it used to be, covers all angles of religion and how it affects people's lifes, socially, geographically, movement of people, historically, affects on the world (yes, wars, etc) and how they relate to their fellow human beings.

This has been helpful to my son who followed a Planning career, and grandaughter who seems to be interested in Psychology/Politics ..

I think by looking at all aspects of people's 'grouping' in the world of beliefs, has given them a better understanding in readiness for future employment. I believe that by participating in all aspects of this subject it has given them more tolerance to those that are prejudice to other people's beliefs.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 18:25   #100
Senior Member+

I think that Religious Studies at A'Level is more like a philosophy course anyway.
Old 07-07-2008, 19:06   #101
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Once when I was in town someone in unfamiliar robes approached me and asked me to say a word I didn't know.
Amazing the lengths Cyfr will go to, when he's out canvassing.
Old 07-07-2008, 19:07   #102
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: you will pray to Allah

Learning about other religions is a different ball game to taking part in the rituals of a religion especially when no choice was offered.

Then taking retribution by awarding detention is a step too far. That teacher should be sacked.
Old 07-07-2008, 19:35   #103
God Member

What a load of old codswallop!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 19:38   #104
Senior Member+

*LOL* @ teacher should be sacked. it was a school practical - not aushwitz prison camp!
Old 07-07-2008, 19:41   #105
Senior Member+

I dont think she should be sacked and i dont think the kids should have got detention.... they were well within their rights to refuse....

I mean no offence to anyone when i say.......You shall have no other Gods but me.
You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it. (commandments 1&2)

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..