Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 19:57   #106
God Member

Re: you will pray to Allah

It crosses my colonial mind that this subject would not be much of an issue if home-grown, British muslims had not bombed London buses and the subway, and that muslems were not killing and maiming British troops in Iraq and Afghanistan ... I do believe that any animosity towards muslims has little to do with whom they pray to, and much to do with Islamic extremism, not only in England, but also around the world. One can hear many anti-muslem statements from ordinary Canadians, and it gets worse as the casualty list in Afghanistan grows larger ... I can't argue that this is right, but it is understandable.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2008, 20:27   #107
Resident Waffler

That's not where I'm coming from Eric. The fact that it was non-Muslims being asked to participate in prayers of Islam is purely incidental to me. As I've said earlier I would feel the same about it if it were Jewish children being asked to pray to Jesus.

I don't think the teacher should be sacked. I do think he/she should have been more sensitive to the children in the situation and I do not think detention was appropriate. Neither extreme is ideal.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 20:38   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
That's not where I'm coming from Eric. The fact that it was non-Muslims being asked to participate in prayers of Islam is purely incidental to me. As I've said earlier I would feel the same about it if it were Jewish children being asked to pray to Jesus.

I don't think the teacher should be sacked. I do think he/she should have been more sensitive to the children in the situation and I do not think detention was appropriate. Neither extreme is ideal.
I think the point I was trying to make, is that there has to be something more than religious tolerance at issue in order to generate such a heated debate. I know only a couple of muslims well; and as far as I can remember my latitudinarian attitudes and their commitment to Islam has never come up in conversation in any serious fashion. It's not the question of religious tolerance I see being debated here, but more like the question of National identity ...
Old 08-07-2008, 14:26   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Learning about other religions is a different ball game to taking part in the rituals of a religion especially when no choice was offered.

Then taking retribution by awarding detention is a step too far. That teacher should be sacked.
Oh dear Jambutty, making judgements on hearsay are you ?

" That also makes the incident hearsay, doesn’t it? Do we also call it hearsay when a report in the media states what so and so has said? No of course not we take such reports at face value until it can be shown that the report wasn’t accurate " .. your quote from another thread.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 14:35   #110
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

" That also makes the incident hearsay, doesn’t it? Do we also call it hearsay when a report in the media states what so and so has said? No of course not we take such reports at face value until it can be shown that the report wasn’t accurate " .. your quote from another thread.
this will be one response i can't wait for.
Old 08-07-2008, 14:39   #111
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
this will be one response i can't wait for.
I know, risking it aren't I, think I will emigrate ....
Old 08-07-2008, 14:57   #112
God Member

when i was 10 i would have prayed to anyone as long as i got a BMX

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 14:59   #113
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think the point I was trying to make, is that there has to be something more than religious tolerance at issue in order to generate such a heated debate. I know only a couple of muslims well; and as far as I can remember my latitudinarian attitudes and their commitment to Islam has never come up in conversation in any serious fashion. It's not the question of religious tolerance I see being debated here, but more like the question of National identity ...
No, it tends not to crop up when I chat to Muslims I know about other things either, but Islam is the actual topic of this thread because it's about 2 non-Muslims who were given detention for declining to participate in a Muslim form of worship. We/they should be free to decline to participate in any or all forms of worship should we/they so wish. Provisions and allowances are made for such in school for those whose religious affiliations would be offended by taking part in worship based assemblies, prayers, nativity plays etc. It's not as if the idea is unprecedented.

Old 08-07-2008, 19:03   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
No, it tends not to crop up when I chat to Muslims I know about other things either, but Islam is the actual topic of this thread because it's about 2 non-Muslims who were given detention for declining to participate in a Muslim form of worship. We/they should be free to decline to participate in any or all forms of worship should we/they so wish. Provisions and allowances are made for such in school for those whose religious affiliations would be offended by taking part in worship based assemblies, prayers, nativity plays etc. It's not as if the idea is unprecedented.
In other words, I should read the lines and not between them
Old 08-07-2008, 20:35   #115
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: you will pray to Allah

Quote:

According to the OED:
Hearsay - noun - information which cannot be adequately substantiated; rumour.

The question is, is a report in the newspaper or on the TV or radio hearsay/rumour?

If the answer is yes then you, me and most posters have been commenting on hearsay in this and many other threads.

But I don’t think that a report in the newspaper or on the TV or radio is hearsay, in the accepted definition of the word. Whereas reporting what someone said what someone else said or did is hearsay.

In the butty issue the reporter reported what was told to him. The shopkeeper made a statement and so did the school head. Was that hearsay? Did other people comment on what the head stated and also the shopkeeper? The answer is yes they did. So if I am commenting on hearsay, so are other people. So go and pick on them also. Or is this yet another childish “Nah! Nah! Nah! Nah! Nah! Jambutty is wrong!” attempt?

So it really depends on what you understand the definition of hearsay to be.

Last edited by jambutty; 08-07-2008 at 20:44.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 21:37   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
According to the OED:
Hearsay - noun - information which cannot be adequately substantiated; rumour.

The question is, is a report in the newspaper or on the TV or radio hearsay/rumour?

If the answer is yes then you, me and most posters have been commenting on hearsay in this and many other threads.

But I don’t think that a report in the newspaper or on the TV or radio is hearsay, in the accepted definition of the word. Whereas reporting what someone said what someone else said or did is hearsay.

In the butty issue the reporter reported what was told to him. The shopkeeper made a statement and so did the school head. Was that hearsay? Did other people comment on what the head stated and also the shopkeeper? The answer is yes they did. So if I am commenting on hearsay, so are other people. So go and pick on them also. Or is this yet another childish “Nah! Nah! Nah! Nah! Nah! Jambutty is wrong!” attempt?

So it really depends on what you understand the definition of hearsay to be.
Think I actually scored a point here. Hands up those who agree ...
Old 08-07-2008, 21:55   #117
Resident Waffler

I'm with you there Katex

However, this is taking thread wandering to the extremes. We have one perfectly adequate thread about the butty shop saga yet Jambutty has to go and bring it up on this thread too.

But as we are on the subject of reports in newspapers and heresay - my OWN opinion on the matter is that if a reporter reports events which have been told to him by the person they happened to and the events involve another person who has not personally made a comment then I regard the portion which refers to acts by the other person as heresay. As in the case of the butty shop owner who stated that the teacher was less than calm, cool and collected when addressing her pupils. We only have the butty shop owner's word for that. We have no confirmation (or otherwise) by the teacher or by a third party witness. Therefore IMO the statement cannot be taken at face value.

Now can we get back to religious practices in schools.

Old 08-07-2008, 22:13   #118
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: you will pray to Allah

Quote:
Think I actually scored a point here. Hands up those who agree ...
So you admit it! Posting on this forum is all about scoring points.

Just as I suspected all along.

And it is no surprise that WillowTheWhisp agrees with you.
Old 08-07-2008, 22:15   #119
Resident Waffler

Well done Jim.

Old 08-07-2008, 22:21   #120
God Member

Not another thread!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..