Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 22:26   #121
God Member

Re: you will pray to Allah

Anyone reading this thread from the outside will think we are all simple...Same as the butty thread.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2008, 22:31   #122
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: you will pray to Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm with you there Katex

However, this is taking thread wandering to the extremes. We have one perfectly adequate thread about the butty shop saga yet Jambutty has to go and bring it up on this thread too.

But as we are on the subject of reports in newspapers and heresay - my OWN opinion on the matter is that if a reporter reports events which have been told to him by the person they happened to and the events involve another person who has not personally made a comment then I regard the portion which refers to acts by the other person as heresay. As in the case of the butty shop owner who stated that the teacher was less than calm, cool and collected when addressing her pupils. We only have the butty shop owner's word for that. We have no confirmation (or otherwise) by the teacher or by a third party witness. Therefore IMO the statement cannot be taken at face value.

Now can we get back to religious practices in schools.
Look who is calling the kettle black.

Of course you have never caused a thread wander or added to it. Yeh! Right!

I used the butty shop issue as an example of what could or could not be classed as hearsay after katex brought up the subject. So any thread wandering is down to katex.

However, unless I have misread your post and unlike some people I am always ready to accept that I could have, we seem to agree on the definition of hearsay, more or less.

But do you know what “face value” really means?

It means - the value of a coin, stamp or paper money, as printed on the coin, stamp or bill itself by the minting authority.

A secondary meaning applies to printed statements, or even spoken ones. In other words the statement is taken as is in the absence of corroboration as to the accuracy of the statement.

So the only way to take a statement is at face value.

Oh! And pardon the slight thread wander but it was you who brought in face value and cast an opinion about it.
Old 08-07-2008, 23:18   #123
Loz

Re: you will pray to Allah

Jambutty why do you always want to be right?
The whole point of these discussions is that we all have differing opinions and ultimately nobody is right or wrong even if we strongly disagree with something.
Why do you always come back with bloody dictionary definitions to prove people are wrong in how they word things just so you can take the moral high ground?
Lighten up a bit we are supposed to enjoy this forum afterall!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..