Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 22:39   #31
Caz
God Member

Re: Young Tory in bad taste shocker.

So you thought it a good idea to put that joke on here? Geez

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2009, 22:40   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Jimmy Carr famously has a joke about rape.
Sorry M....it seems the further this goes on the further you dig the hole.
Go to bed and sleep on it

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by andrewb; 10-01-2009 at 10:00. Reason: joke in quote removed
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 22:48   #33
white rabbits

I just hope that this little girl is safe somewhere,,,she must look totally different now
Old 09-01-2009, 23:27   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Sorry M....it seems the further this goes on the further you dig the hole.
Go to bed and sleep on it
Just because you don't agree with her does not mean she is digging a hole. I thought you were all for people having their own opinions and not being jumped on by others for them.

I agree that these things go on all the time and this was only in the news because of his affiliations.
Old 09-01-2009, 23:58   #35

Well I totally I agree with Blazey, for years "bad taste" parties have gone on in Uni's all over the UK/World. I think this would never of made the press, if somebody hadn't had it in for the lad, and sold the the story. It was more for who he is, than what he did.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 00:12   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Well I totally I agree with Blazey, for years "bad taste" parties have gone on in Uni's all over the UK/World.
No, not for years they haven't.

'Bad taste' parties used to be an excuse to wear an Hawaiian shirt, not dress up as the Moors Murderers, or poor missing children.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 00:19   #37
God Member

The lad isn't sick he's just numb in the head. Act like a prat when you're in any position of importance/vulnerability and it'll come back to bite you on the arse. Hopefully it'll teach him a valuable lesson.
The media has an unhealthy and shameless obsession with painting idiotic humour as criminally deviant behaviour. Surely there's some common sense gone awry in making the lad up to be 'sick' when really he just should've known better.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 00:44   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No, not for years they haven't.

'Bad taste' parties used to be an excuse to wear an Hawaiian shirt, not dress up as the Moors Murderers, or poor missing children.

maybe you are just showing your age
Old 10-01-2009, 00:47   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
The lad isn't sick he's just numb in the head.
sick 1 (sk)
adj. sick·er, sick·est 1. a. Suffering from or affected with a physical illness; ailing.
b. Of or for sick persons: sick wards.
c. Nauseated.

2. a. Mentally ill or disturbed.
b. Unwholesome, morbid, or sadistic: a sick joke; a sick crime.

I think he qualifies as 'sick' under 2(a) and 2(b).

'Bad taste' is hideous nylon flares.

I'd also find it sick if someone went to a 'bad taste' party dressed as a Holocaust victim...but I suppose some people would find that acceptable, and funny.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:00   #40
God Member

With that type of definition I'd see no point in living towards such a bleak future. What with all the 'sick' individuals currently studying to run the country!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:22   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
With that type of definition I'd see no point in living towards such a bleak future.
It's the dictionary definition.

Perhaps some students would find their time better spent studying from it.

They then might realise a 'bad taste' party doesn't necessarily necessitate dressing up as a missing toddler, or a horrifically abused dead baby.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:33   #42
God Member

Quote:
I think he qualifies as 'sick' under 2(a) and 2(b).
He doesn't qualify as sick by the dictionary definition. It's merely a matter of opinion on what you find offensive. There's a big difference between being "one sick young man" and a young man acting out a 'sick joke'. The latter down to stupidity, the former labelling the person mentally ill.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:45   #43
Give, give, give member

Sick also means 'morbid' or 'unwholesome', according to the dictionary.

I'm not playing semantics with you.

Perhaps you might feel differently if it was a relative, or a child you knew, that was missing, or had been abused and killed.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:03   #44
God Member

Quote:
Perhaps you might feel differently if it was a relative, or a child you knew, that was missing, or had been abused and killed.
There's no debate as to whether or not the McCann saga is tragic. My opinion on this issue has nothing to do with my lack of relation to the girl either. I just find it pretty silly that people are getting het up about this story.

The only reason it became a news item anyway is because of the holy grail in British media - political sleaze. Blazey, AndrewB and myself have known of people who have acted in the same way at university bad taste events and none of those people - nor the hundreds of others that have done it - have made the papers.

My only other point is that the lad in question is not sick. He was dressed as Maddy among people dressed as Bin Laden (an educated guess) and Baby P (fact). "That doesn't make it right", I hear you bellow! Well no, it doesn't, and I'm not trying to say that it does. It shows how there is only idiocy in this mans actions and a fungus of low-brow humour in acceptance around those parts.

The lad didn't conjure this plan under a swaying light bulb in a derelict room. He didn't present himself dressed as Maddy to her family. There was clearly no malice, nor was he making light of her abduction.

This type of event aims to shock and he was merely an idiotic participant who got drastically unlucky.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:38   #45
God Member

You know there are many law cases that have led to equally disturbing results by following the dictionary definition of words. Cheeseman is a good example, though I can't remember the year but it was pretty absurd decision which resulted in someone being allowed by law to masturbate in public.

As for being uncaring Caz, you don't know me to suggest I am uncaring but I can guarantee that everyone does things at some point in their life that they know their parents would disapprove of and I'm sure many of the people on the forum can thing of things they've done or said that they're parents would be shocked at.

Being sensible is lovely, but let's not lose sight of reality here.

I believe most girls tend to dress up as hookers for bad taste parties. Excellent example for my generation to be setting. I'd much rather dress up as Madeleine McCann than a hooker personally, but then I don't attend these things at all. I just get the joys of viewing 'typical student' lifestyle in photographs on facebook.

I sit in one of the bars in town and play scrabble with a pint. Outrageous!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..