Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 17:57   #16
God Member

Re: Your Country Needs YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF
Your alive. One day you may find out how babies are made and you'll understand.
I'll leave you to it Sam, I like intellectual conversation but you clearly came to the debate totally unarmed
Old 03-11-2006, 18:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
I'll leave you to it Sam, I like intellectual conversation but you clearly came to the debate totally unarmed
You say that it's good that people have killed others for land, when asked if you would have liked it to have happened to your family you replied with a relevant comment and a personal insult, who brought the level of the debate down ?

I have yet to be disproved, so if I am unarmed I'm doing a bloody good job at it.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 18:10   #18
Give, give, give member

Having rules of war does seem rather strange.

If you are going to fight, you fight to win.

Having international rules drawn up, that make some killing legal or illegal, has always struck me as bizarre.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 18:11   #19
God Member

Quote:
You say that it's good that people have killed others for land
I've read the thread several times and can't find where I said that. Has somebody been deleting posts ?
Old 03-11-2006, 18:18   #20
God Member

Lets see now, err pay for your own grub run short of ammo polititions and senior officers agreeing to disagree risk being blown up by a bomb in a country you are trying to help oh and dodgy ish equipment. Now if faced with that lot for starters then how the hell do they expect to get recruits. Could be back to the times of the kings shilling in the bottom of the beer glass to get some to join up.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 18:18   #21

Quote:
Quote:
your killing people for their land, just because a lot of people are doing it doesn't make it right... and its supposed to be my generation that has no morales.
Good job previous generations didn't have the same morals
Sorry if the original quotation wasn't exact. It's the same point though.
Old 03-11-2006, 18:22   #22
God Member

Quote:
Sorry if the original quotation wasn't exact. It's the same point though.

I'm afraid it's a long way off the point Sam.
Old 03-11-2006, 18:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
I'm afraid it's a long way off the point Sam.
Care to explain then ?
Old 03-11-2006, 18:29   #24
God Member

Quote:
Care to explain then ?
Haven't time now young man. I'm off to the pub, hopefully I'll get somebody to explain to me how babies are made and I can come back and check with you if it's right
Old 03-11-2006, 18:58   #25
Senior Member+

Conscript all chavs who'll kick your head in for 50p,lets see how bloody hard they are when faced with a throng of mad mullahs trowing petrol at them.Defination of "chav" up to you.
Old 03-11-2006, 19:07   #26
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
You have to imagine one of our top armed forces brass pointing a finger outwards.

The MOD has declared that our armed forces are some 5,000 personnel under strength and are looking to our young men and women to come forward and join the navy, air force or army.
We may be 5,000 military personnel short but yesterday's news on Century FM claimed that lots of young new applicants for the forces were being turned down because they are too overweight. They have had to move the goalposts on BMI so that they can recruit more personnel..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:32   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
We may be 5,000 military personnel short but yesterday's news on Century FM claimed that lots of young new applicants for the forces were being turned down because they are too overweight. They have had to move the goalposts on BMI so that they can recruit more personnel..
Is'nt this along the same lines as when the police force removed height restrictions on joining as they too were having problems recruiting?Maybe the armed forces are short of new recruits because for the first time for 20 odd years our forces are actively engaged in warfare,and todays youth would rather sup cider at our expense than be shot at in some middle eastern s***hole.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:38   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
After what happened to us on 9/11, everything changed.
I think the jury is still out on what actually did happen on that terrible day. I am not sure we will ever find out the truth.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:11   #29
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
You are a little too young yet to understand the necessity of maintaining a strong military. One of these days, you may grow to appreciate the many sacrifices made by those who serve your country.
How dare you come on here being so patronising? A little too young to understand? and yet it's his generation that you expect to go out there and perhaps die for your beliefs?

Why not nip over here and cover him in white feathers for being a coward?

Perhaps it's because he appreciates the many sacrifices made by those who served his Country that make him think that this is an unjust war?

I may not agree completely with all that he has said in fact in places I feel he is wide of the mark, but he, thanks to the many sacrifices of young men from other generations is free to express his feelings about this particular conflict. That does not mean that he or many other young men would not be prepared to defend his family and friends if the need arose. However I would deeply regret that if or when that need should arise he and others would just go blindly like lambs to the slaughter because you and others banged some form of patriotic drum and forced him to!

Quote:

the U.S. wouldn't have needed to pick-up where it left off in 1991.
Excuse me are you re-writing History here? the U.S. didn't do it alone in 1991, they had other countries around at the time helping them, just as, in case you haven't noticed they have now!

Our armed forces are out there dying alongside your armed forces, these young men are doing their duty, they are not on some sort of picnic.

Please in future, do not talk to our young men in this manner, (talk to your own as if they are stupid if you wish), treat ours with respect. If the need ever arises they will do what is right.

I would prefer that our troops weren't there, I think this whole thing has turned into a complete shambles and wish we could withdraw before anymore of them have to be returned to this country in a wooden box.
But, because they are out there then it should be the highest priority that they are not only equipped with every means with which to protect themselves but that any short fall in necessary personnel be made up but only from volunteers that go there equipped with the best tools for the job. That can only be done by being honest with them at all points and not trying to fool them with some mis-guided form of patriotism.

Last edited by Less; 04-11-2006 at 10:17.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:14   #30
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Your Country Needs YOU!

But SamF as a member of the armed service on active duty and following orders it is not murder.

From what I have heard recently bullseyebarb the bulk of the new recruits to the USA armed forces are men and women at the bottom of the ladder with little or no hope of attaining a decent life.
Quote:
I can tell you that they are most displeased by the way in which the media and members of a certain party have chosen to describe their service in Iraq and Afghanistan and the fact that the good things they have accomplished rarely get reported upon.
So the truth hurts then?

The reason why the Iraq war was executed by George Bush bullseyebarb was to rid Iraq of Weapons of Mass Destruction on the flimsiest of fabricated evidence and he managed to drag other countries into the ILLEGAL war. No WMD’s have ever been found, although there were some chemical weapons but no meaningful ways of launching them from a distance and in any case those were destroyed before the invasion.

Terrible as a tragedy that 9/11 was, it was used as a revenge excuse to attack Iraq and as a side issue gain control of their oil. They underestimated the resolve of the Iraqis in the same way that they underestimated the resolve of the Afghans and latterly the Vietnamese.

The USA is the self proclaimed policeman of the world whose only purpose is to grab the world’s wealth for itself or at least under its control and impose its style of democracy. Indeed many people take the view and have done since WWII that the greatest threat to world peace has never been the Soviet Union or China but the USA.

The USA puts self interest above and beyond all else under the guise of helping others.

If Hitler had not declared war on the USA and attacked American merchant shipping the States would not have entered the European theatre. If Japan had not blasted Pearl Harbour the USA would have sat back and got rich selling and leasing arms to the Allies. In fact at the wars end the only country in the world that was twice as rich as at the start was the USA. The rest were near bankrupt if not actually bankrupt.

Attaboy Less.

Last edited by jambutty; 04-11-2006 at 10:16.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..