Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 10:55   #31
God Member

Re: Your Country Needs YOU!

I haven't made a point of discussing the war much in this thread because to be quite honest I don't or haven't had the time to sit down and study it. But I am confused about the term' illegal'. Where does this come from. Has some official court termed it illegal ?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:57   #32
Give, give, give member

Besides removing someone who was guilty of heinous crimes, but who was only one of many dictators throughout the world, but the only one in strategically placed amongst massive oil reserves, what has this ongoing war achieved?

Thousands of allied service people dead, even more Iraqi civilians dead. A country which could be said to be having a civil war, and what to all intents and puposes amounts to ethnic cleansing between the various Muslim factions, and still not a sign of any weapons of mass destruction to be seen.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:57   #33
Super Moderator

From what I've seen on TV the American public is growing more and more disenchanted with the Iraq debacle...and with Bush. He's having to confine his campaigning to his home turf down in Texas where his core support is.
Old 04-11-2006, 16:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
How dare you come on here being so patronising? A little too young to understand? and yet it's his generation that you expect to go out there and perhaps die for your beliefs?

Why not nip over here and cover him in white feathers for being a coward?

Perhaps it's because he appreciates the many sacrifices made by those who served his Country that make him think that this is an unjust war?

I may not agree completely with all that he has said in fact in places I feel he is wide of the mark, but he, thanks to the many sacrifices of young men from other generations is free to express his feelings about this particular conflict. That does not mean that he or many other young men would not be prepared to defend his family and friends if the need arose. However I would deeply regret that if or when that need should arise he and others would just go blindly like lambs to the slaughter because you and others banged some form of patriotic drum and forced him to!
Exactly. If we were being attacked and it was the people I knew that were in danger then I would be the first in the line to sign up. However going over to some foriegn country just because some redneck wants me to ? No chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
But I am confused about the term' illegal'. Where does this come from. Has some official court termed it illegal ?
I think it is to do with the war being declared because USA and UK claimed they had MoD and since these MoD's have not been found, their reason for war was unjust.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 16:57   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF
I think it is to do with the war being declared because USA and UK claimed they had MoD and since these MoD's have not been found, their reason for war was unjust.
I think if you look at the picture below you might just spot a couple of those missing MoD's from Iraq

Old 04-11-2006, 17:08   #36
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
From what I've seen on TV the American public is growing more and more disenchanted with the Iraq debacle...and with Bush. He's having to confine his campaigning to his home turf down in Texas where his core support is.
Sorry quite late to this discussion. W.H. as has been discussed umpteen times in various threads, "the TV" is very biased and "anti-Bush!" Imho.

However I do agree, and believe you are right, America is certainly frustrated by what's happening in Iraq. However, I believe it'smore based on the ineptness or lack of desire of the Iraquies to police themselves.

This war has been a huge thorn in the President's side but he is campaining in many different parts of the country. Our economy is very strong, the unemployment rate (4.4%) is the lowest in many years, inflation is tame, crime is down, the stock market is near a record high etc., etc.. However, I believe the republicans REALLY blew it with the power they had. Ultimate power corrupts!

One of the boys that seee me as his father figure just yesterday graduated from Marine Boot Camp. He said they are graduating 6,000 to 8,000 new recruits each week! (this number shocked me)

If all goes as planned, he will be off to Iraq in a few months. I currently have 3 other of "my boys" over there right now. They are more frustarted by the lack of media support than anything else. They spend more time handing out supplies to children and families, protecting the infrustructure, and trying to keep Iraqies from killing Iraqies. Reminds me alot of Northern Ireland back in the days!

I think the world, the Kurds, and most Iraqies are much better off with Hussein and his horrendous cronies out of power. I also believe we are all now fighting most of the terrorists in one place greatly (but not totally) reducing their attacks throughout other parts of the world! IMHO

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 17:13   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee
Reminds me alot of Northern Ireland back in the days!
Very true, America supplied guns to both Iraq and the IRA.
Old 04-11-2006, 18:12   #38
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
But SamF as a member of the armed service on active duty and following orders it is not murder.

From what I have heard recently bullseyebarb the bulk of the new recruits to the USA armed forces are men and women at the bottom of the ladder with little or no hope of attaining a decent life.
So the truth hurts then?

The reason why the Iraq war was executed by George Bush bullseyebarb was to rid Iraq of Weapons of Mass Destruction on the flimsiest of fabricated evidence and he managed to drag other countries into the ILLEGAL war. No WMD’s have ever been found, although there were some chemical weapons but no meaningful ways of launching them from a distance and in any case those were destroyed before the invasion.

Attaboy Less.
<The war might be deemed illegal, as u have stated. Lets not forget the greater good. Saddam was a tyrant and commited atrocious acts, one of which was Genocide and soon he will be brought to justice (sunday 5th nov) according to the media.The western world may have had an ulterior motive of securing oil fields and our future however, it still stands the greater good has saved potentially millions of lives>
Who knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 18:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I think if you look at the picture below you might just spot a couple of those missing MoD's from Iraq
I havn't the faintest idea why I said MoD's, other than I was talking to someone about the ministry of defence at the time of posting Meant WMD's
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 20:21   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee
I think the world, the Kurds, and most Iraqies are much better off with Hussein and his horrendous cronies out of power. I also believe we are all now fighting most of the terrorists in one place greatly
So if we are much better off with Hussein out of power, which dictator is America going to tackle next? The one in Zimbabwe? The one in North Korea? No chance, because there's no oil there!

And do you really believe that most of the terrorists are in Iraq? Then, you've been more misled by the media than me. If only it were true!
Old 04-11-2006, 21:29   #41
Passed away 25-11-09

Blaming the Iraq war for the diminution of the armed forces is a bit of a red herring. The reason is that the MoD deliberately cut back on recruiting numbers and also made some personnel redundant in the 1990s. It was called rationalisation or, in other words, saving money. The fools who run this country really believed that it could all be done by half the staff. Now the lesson is being learned.

The same thing is happening in the Civil Service. The Government will boast that it is halving the number of Civil Servants and, thus, saving your money. The truth is that you are now getting an abysmal service because there aren't enough people left to do the job effectively.

The present global conflicts have shown up the fact that to retain an effective armed presence anywhere in the world you need soldiers/sailors/airmen. Don't blame the young people for failing to sign up, blame the Government for its disastrous and shortsighted policies.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:09   #42
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Your Country Needs YOU!

The invasion of Iraq Who knows, was based on the lie that Saddam had WMD and that they could be launched within 45 minutes. There was no UN mandate to invade on those grounds yet Bush and poodle Blair, trying to pretend to be a world statesman, ignored the UN and went in. Well not them personally, they were safe behind their desks and bodyguards. Thus the invasion was and still remains illegal and no spin by anyone will alter that fact.

It was only after the event with Saddam behind bars that the tune changed and no matter how many times B & B were challenged on the issue they brushed the question aside and never really answered the accusations. The stance became and still is “the end justified the means”.

The news is that Saddam has been found guilty as charged and sentenced to hang.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:01   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
The stance became and still is “the end justified the means”.
Trouble seems to be Jambutty that they don't appear to have the means to end it !! That was typical of the Americans, we will conquer, but what do we do with it after that ?

Anyone heard of any grand plan yet of how they are going to settle this troubled country ??
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:51   #44
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Your Country Needs YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Trouble seems to be Jambutty that they don't appear to have the means to end it !! That was typical of the Americans, we will conquer, but what do we do with it after that ?

Anyone heard of any grand plan yet of how they are going to settle this troubled country ??
Which only serves to establish that Bush went in half cocked with no clear idea of what to do other than him getting some sort of twisted revenge for 9/11, to finish what his pappy couldn’t and to take control of the oil and gas.

The Americans never do anything that won’t return them a profit even if it means that American lives are shed in the process.

If it ever come to the “hey lads hey” Bush would drop UK like a ton of hot bricks.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:45   #45
God Member

Isnt half cocked putting a bit of spin on it? All he saw was a possible financial hitch that could cripple a lot of his countries customers so he went in to safe gaurd these fiscal areas. Have I Got News For You's openeing title scits some it up well. Arab has a gusher of oil so the troops wade in to protect, it runs out they disappear only to reapear when another gusher appears and with a thumbs up sign.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..