Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 15:53   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Your Country Needs YOU!

You have to imagine one of our top armed forces brass pointing a finger outwards.

The MOD has declared that our armed forces are some 5,000 personnel under strength and are looking to our young men and women to come forward and join the navy, air force or army.

Has it ever occurred to the Generals, Admirals and Air Vice Marshals that the reason why the armed forces are under strength might just be down to new recruits not wanting to be involved in illegal wars ordered by a foreigner and followed blindly by our PM? And then being sent into battle ill equipped.
Old 03-11-2006, 16:22   #2
God Member

Re: Your Country Needs YOU!

I think the shortage stems from cutbacks on recruitment for cost purposes before Iraq started. There's also the fact that lots of todays youth don't want to join the army because it involves discipline !
Old 03-11-2006, 17:05   #3

Our recruitment goals are being met. Plus, re-enlistments are through the roof. Our military personnel are awesome. How lucky we are to have such wonderful men and women. Many citizen soldiers, (National Guard), live in our local community and I keep up with quite a few of them. I can tell you that they are most displeased by the way in which the media and members of a certain party have chosen to describe their service in Iraq and Afghanistan and the fact that the good things they have accomplished rarely get reported upon.

As for this being an illegal war, jambutty......perhaps if the UN had managed to enforce even ONE of its umpteen resolutions, rather than accepting bribes from Saddam, (and they were not alone in that), the U.S. wouldn't have needed to pick-up where it left off in 1991. After what happened to us on 9/11, everything changed. We would have been foolish indeed just to sit back and not do everything we could to protect our country.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 17:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
There's also the fact that lots of todays youth don't want to join the army because it involves discipline !
Either that or we don't like the idea of being shot.

Or the fact that some young people actually have a brain and may have reasons why they think the war is unjust.

Or the fact that they do not wish to become murderers.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 17:12   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF
Either that or we don't like the idea of being shot.

Or the fact that some young people actually have a brain and may have reasons why they think the war is unjust.

Or the fact that they do not wish to become murderers.
The first 2 points are quite reasonable choices, The third is ridicolous.
Old 03-11-2006, 17:15   #6

Quote:
The first 2 points are quite reasonable choices, The third is ridicolous.
It's one of my reasons for not joining, I don't want to pull the trigger that ends a persons life, whats so ridiculous about that ?
Old 03-11-2006, 17:26   #7
God Member

Quote:
It's one of my reasons for not joining, I don't want to pull the trigger that ends a persons life, whats so ridiculous about that ?
Firing a gun as a member of the armed forces does not make you a murderer.
Old 03-11-2006, 17:42   #8

Quote:

Would you be so squeamish if you were being shot at?
Old 03-11-2006, 17:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
Would you be so squeamish if you were being shot at?
Quote:
In who's eyes ?

What is the difference between that and shooting someone to rob their possessions, your killing people for their land, just because a lot of people are doing it doesn't make it right... and its supposed to be my generation that has no morales.

I have the choice to join the armed forces.

If I take the choice to join then I am taking the choice to put myself in the position where it's me or them and therefore my responsibility for my actions.

It is my choice whether I become a murderer or not, if I kill a man in war I didn't have to, as I did not have to join.
Old 03-11-2006, 18:03   #10
God Member

Quote:
In who's eyes ?

What is the difference between that and shooting someone to rob their possessions, your killing people for their land, just because a lot of people are doing it doesn't make it right... and its supposed to be my generation that has no morales.

I have the choice to join the armed forces.

If I take the choice to join then I am taking the choice to put myself in the position where it's me or them and therefore my responsibility for my actions.

It is my choice whether I become a murderer or not, if I kill a man in war I didn't have to, as I did not have to join.
Good job previous generations didn't have the same morals
Old 03-11-2006, 18:05   #11

You are a little too young yet to understand the necessity of maintaining a strong military. One of these days, you may grow to appreciate the many sacrifices made by those who serve your country.
Old 03-11-2006, 18:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
You are a little too young yet to understand the necessity of maintaining a strong military. One of these days, you may grow to appreciate the many sacrifices made by those who serve your country.
A strong military is currently needed, that is obvious, as world peace seems a long way away. However why not use the military solely for defence, and not for policing the world. To counter-act the arguement that attacking another country is needed for defence I quote:

A pre-emptive war in 'defense' of freedom would surely destroy freedom, because one simply cannot engage in barbarous action without becoming a barbarian, because one cannot defend human values by calculated and unprovoked violence without doing mortal damage to the values one is trying to defend. - J. William Fulbright

And add the point that the war with Iraq has if anything made the chance of another big war even more. The USA and Britain, the supposed "Superpowers" are struggling to defeat a small country without a leader. Now any real threats will be thinking they've got a chance, seeing a 5 year old take Mike Tyson to the 12th Round would make Amir Khan consider his chances if you understand my point.

Also, please don't use my age as an excuse to not put up a half-decent debate.

Quote:
Good job previous generations didn't have the same morals
Would you be saying that if it was your great great great grandad that died when another man wanted some more land ?

Last edited by SamF; 03-11-2006 at 18:37.
Old 03-11-2006, 18:44   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
if europe gets its way it soon will though , you cant even torture terrorist for gods sake
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 18:53   #14
God Member

Quote:
Would you be saying that if it was your great great great grandad that died when another man wanted some more land ?
How do you know he didn't or did they not teach you history at school ?
Old 03-11-2006, 18:55   #15

Quote:
How do you know he didn't or did they not teach you history at school ?
Your alive. One day you may find out how babies are made and you'll understand.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..