Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2017, 21:20   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Yours disruntedly

Ok BBC Points of View rant...

Why, Oh why ...do you put your 20 mile an hour road sweeping machines on the roads during rush hours?

7.40ish the other day, already stressed, as usual, by cyclists not wearing reflective clothing, mobile phone using muppets and traffic light jumpers....I get stuck behind one of these from the Sparth to Nightingales. I got a queue behind me

Then again...I suppose I have to be thankful that I didn't bump into the 7.35 dustbin wagon as well
Old 21-01-2017, 11:48   #2
Full Member+

Re: Yours disruntedly

I'm fed up with cyclists not having lights or even reflective clothing . not just Surely in this day and age bikes could have proper lights not just the poor sort with a dynamo. No doubt in an accident the poor motorist would get blamed. While we are on rants...I am sick of seeing cars with their fog lights on when it is not at all foggy or even misty. Do they not realise it is an offence.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 12:04   #3
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

Why, Oh why ...do you put your 20 mile an hour road sweeping machines on the roads during rush hours?

7.40ish the other day, already stressed, as usual, by cyclists not wearing reflective clothing, mobile phone using muppets and traffic light jumpers....I get stuck behind one of these from the Sparth to Nightingales. I got a queue behind me

Then again...I suppose I have to be thankful that I didn't bump into the 7.35 dustbin wagon as well
When is it not rush hour for motorists
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 12:48   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:

I don't know why the road sweepers are out at that hour of a morning,perhaps it's their hours of work,are you saying you see this as a form of dangerous driving?

It always amazes me how fast a grown adult can turn into a inpatient child when they sit behind the wheel of a car.
Who is more dangerous? The councils bright coloured vehicles with flashing hazard lights or the impatient driver who is driving around "stressed,as usual"?.

May I suggest, if your getting too stressed with having to wait a few extra minutes,perhaps it's you who shouldn't be on the road?
AccyMad likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 13:19   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I am sick of seeing cars with their fog lights on when it is not at all foggy or even misty. Do they not realise it is an offence.
I`ll hold my hands up to that, purely by accident mind, I keep catching the switch when turning ignition key.
My foglights on my daughters car though come on by themselves, turn left when you have dipped headlights on and the left foglight comes on, turn right and the right foglight comes on.

Last edited by gpick24; 21-01-2017 at 13:22.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 14:37   #6
Full Member+

Better be careful gpick24 you could get a £60 on the spot fine.
Old 21-01-2017, 15:35   #7
God Member

Quote:
I'm fed up with cyclists not having lights or even reflective clothing . not just Surely in this day and age bikes could have proper lights not just the poor sort with a dynamo. No doubt in an accident the poor motorist would get blamed. While we are on rants...I am sick of seeing cars with their fog lights on when it is not at all foggy or even misty. Do they not realise it is an offence.
just wait until you encounter the special kind of moron that drives around at night with just the fog lights on at the front and no rear lights because they are so mentally challenged they think that the fog lights are their side lights and have most likely not touched the light switch since they bought the bloody thing

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 15:40   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Better be careful gpick24 you could get a £60 on the spot fine.

Moving that switch is on my to do list, it's quite low down it but it is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21-01-2017, 16:30   #9
Full Member+

Put it further up your to do list or it could prove rather costly.
Old 21-01-2017, 16:47   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I`ll hold my hands up to that, purely by accident mind, I keep catching the switch when turning ignition key.
My foglights on my daughters car though come on by themselves, turn left when you have dipped headlights on and the left foglight comes on, turn right and the right foglight comes on.
Are those fog lights or daytime running lights that all the new cars have now.

I see a lot of idiots driving in poor visibility with no lights on because they think they are ok with the daytime running lights. Daytime running lights are only on the front so they have no rear lights on.

Many people appear to be going for the DRL look by driving around with fog lights on. Some are stupid enough to drive on sidelights and fog lights in the dark. Even see them on the motorway like that.
Old 21-01-2017, 16:52   #11
Senior Member+

Can't do that, I'll have the risk and keep annoying you

Old 21-01-2017, 17:01   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are those fog lights or daytime running lights that all the new cars have now.

I see a lot of idiots driving in poor visibility with no lights on because they think they are ok with the daytime running lights. Daytime running lights are only on the front so they have no rear lights on.

Many people appear to be going for the DRL look by driving around with fog lights on. Some are stupid enough to drive on sidelights and fog lights in the dark. Even see them on the motorway like that.

My car isn't modern, don't think it would have been described as modern when it was brand new (27 this year).
My daughters is a seat Ibiza and there's a few discussions on the web about fog lights coming on when turning, here's one - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257333

Old 21-01-2017, 17:06   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

A lot of cars put a light on on the side the car is turning. I doubt it helps you see as fog lights do nothing except in real pea soupers. I find it distracting seeing a white light come on, some people might be mistaken the car just flashed them out, something else I almost never do
Old 21-01-2017, 17:20   #14
Senior Member+

I've not driven her car at night so don't know if there's any benefit to the cornering lights, I think it's just a bit of a gimmick myself and just one more unnecessary thing that can go wrong.

Old 21-01-2017, 17:39   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Look at it this way, had you first met the 7.35 dustbin waggon, you would have been so far back in the traffic not to know that your extra delay was because of a 20 mph road sweeper.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..