Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nightlife, Events, Days out (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f70/)
-   -   Parkinson's Disease Society new local group (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f70/parkinsons-disease-society-new-local-group-45027.html)

garinda 17-01-2009 14:16

Parkinson's Disease Society new local group

There is a new local Parkinson's Disease Society branch, which is for Hyndburn and the Ribble Valley, and which will also cover Rossendale.

Today saw the second meeting of a new local branch at Accrington Town Hall. It was attended by over thirty people, who enjoyed a Jacob's Join lunch.

This new branch will be headed by Lancashire County Councillor Wendy Dwyer, who stands down from that job in the summer. She'll be supported by a committee, including your's truly.

We are meeting at my house in the next couple of weeks to discuss the next meeting, which will probably be in March.

Anyone who has Parkinson's, or whose life is touched by it, by having a family member, partner etc. who has P.D., will be very welcome to come along.

There will be a social element to these meetings, but hopefully also speakers who can give advice about living with the disease etc. The national Parkinson's Disease Society is fully behing the new group, and sent two employees to today's meeting in Accrington.

I'll post further details of the next meeting as soon as a date as been set.

Thank you.:)

Neil 17-01-2009 15:20

Re: Parkinson's Disease Society new local group

Good news that Gary and good luck with the new group.

BERNADETTE 17-01-2009 16:37

Good luck with the new group, excellent idea:)

lancsdave 17-01-2009 16:52

Hope it goes well G.

buttonsmum 17-01-2009 18:03

Good luck with the group, it sounds a really good idea

Taggy 18-01-2009 12:00

Best wishes for the Group. Parkinsons is certainly a disease which is not widely understood, either by the Public or indeed many Health Professionals. My Father passed away last year, after suffering from Parkinsons for many years. It was awful, the suffering he endured, particularily towards the end. Much more information should be in the public domain about this dreadfull illness.

Best Regards - Taggy

magpie 18-01-2009 15:01

Good luck with the group.....

fluffydoll 18-01-2009 15:42

how fantastic we hope it continues to run for a long time to come with you involved were sure it will, nearer to the next meet i will pm you and get more details good luck well be thinking of you

katex 18-01-2009 16:29

That's great Garinda ... a lovely opportunity to compare 'notes' with other sufferers and to encourage research into new developments for this complicated condition. :alright:

pipinfort 18-01-2009 16:38

Its a great idea, my grandad passed away after suffering from parkinsons for many years without much support for his condition........good luck with this, its certainly worthwhile.

garinda 18-01-2009 16:43

Thanks for your support.:)

There is obviously a need for a local group.

Over thirty people for the second meeting, with very little publicity, was very encouraging.

The Burnley group has been going for over twenty years, and they attract similar numbers.

jaysay 27-01-2009 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 670408)
Thanks for your support.:)

There is obviously a need for a local group.

Over thirty people for the second meeting, with very little publicity, was very encouraging.

The Burnley group has been going for over twenty years, and they attract similar numbers.

This type of group are really an essential part of communicating with people who suffer or have been touched by the disorder, I had similar results when I formed the Hyndburn Branch of the National Asthma Campaign (now Asthma UK) there were over 50 at the first meeting and we regularly had 30+ at subsequent meetings too. Hope your group has continuing success Rindi

cashman 27-01-2009 11:42

only just seen this due to being away, think this group will certainly be a good help to many sufferers, good luck its certainly a great idea and needed, even with you on the committee.;)

garinda 27-01-2009 11:43

The only two branches of the Parkinson's Disease Society in this part of the world, are in Bolton and Burnley, both of which meet in the evenings.

By having a daytime group based in Accrington, which is fairly easily accessible from most parts of Hyndburn and the Ribble Valley, hopefully we'll be able to fulfil a need for people who need a point of contact or support in this area. Judging by the numbers who've attended so far, with very little publicity, there is obviously a need for a local group.

The committee meet next Tuesday, and I'll post the date of the next meeting as soon as it's set.

garinda 03-02-2009 11:08

The next meeting for the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson's Disease Society will be on Saturday 7th March, at 11.30 am.

Subsequent meetings will be held on the first Saturday of every other month, starting with the meeting on the 7th March. The following meetings will be on the 2nd May, 4th July, 5th September and then 7th November, and so on.

It will be held in the Supper Room at Accrington Town Hall. The room is on the first floor, but there is lift access.

There will be a Jacob's Join lunch, so any food you'd care to share would be much appreciated.

At the first meeting there will be an informal speaker, who'll be an officer employed by the national P.D.S. Future speakers to be announced at a later date.

The aim of the group is to be an informal social and support group for anyone whose life has been touched by Parkinson's.

A warm welcome will be extended to anyone who'd like to attend.

I'm going to be unoffical meeter and greeter at the meetings, and more offically press and publicity officer.

:)