Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nightlife, Events, Days out (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f70/)
-   -   Flying Scotsman 100th Celebration (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f70/flying-scotsman-100th-celebration-73315.html)

Ryewolf90 19-02-2023 23:33

Flying Scotsman 100th Celebration

1 Attachment(s)
24 February 2023 marks 100 years since Flying Scotsman entered service.

If you want to ride behind or see the world's most famous steam train then head out to the East Lancs Railway on 11, 12, 17 – 19 March 2023

Alternatively you could go to the KWVR at Haworth on 25th to 29th May 2023

dotti34 20-02-2023 02:47

Re: Flying Scotsman 100th Celebration

Ryewolf, thank you for this information on behalf of all train enthusiasts who might read this thread. Unfortunately I’m a bit too far away to take part in any of this. However, it does bring back memories of leaning over the side of a bridge with pencil and paper, writing down the numbers of the engines that were ‘namers’ as they passed beneath us. Could be dangerous work if we leant too far but that didn’t mean a thing to us.. A lot of trains have gone under a lot of bridges since then. If I remember rightly the namers all started with the number 8, could be wrong about that – long time ago.

Margaret Pilkington 20-02-2023 02:52

Ryewolf that is a great picture of this marvellous bit of history.

taddy 20-02-2023 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1271138)
Ryewolf, thank you for this information on behalf of all train enthusiasts who might read this thread. Unfortunately I’m a bit too far away to take part in any of this. However, it does bring back memories of leaning over the side of a bridge with pencil and paper, writing down the numbers of the engines that were ‘namers’ as they passed beneath us. Could be dangerous work if we leant too far but that didn’t mean a thing to us.. A lot of trains have gone under a lot of bridges since then. If I remember rightly the namers all started with the number 8, could be wrong about that – long time ago.

Aye Dotti this post takes me back more than a few years, my family moved into Huncoat village when I was seven years old and we lived within a couple of hundred yards of the railway, a favourite pastime, (when I got a little older), I may add, was leaving four or six inch nails on the tracks to be flattened by the heavy steam trains and then after sharpening and adding a piece of wood for a handle, making our own knives.

Ryewolf90 21-02-2023 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1271140)
Ryewolf that is a great picture of this marvellous bit of history.

Thanks, this was taken on the ELR near Townsend Fold.

Apparently the Royal Mint are producing a Commemorative £2 to celebrate the 100th Centenary.

Mark2009 23-02-2023 12:59

Been a steam train fan for years, Once went on main line excursion behind the Flying Scotsman to Sellafield visitor centre (probably now closed.) Great experience.
Great Western locos are probably my biggest interest, particularly King class.