Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2015, 18:27   #1
Senior Member+

Air Shows - 2015

Anyone interested in seeing the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at air shows around the country this year can get the programme at -
http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/displays/displaydates.cfm

I am hoping to go to Duxford, not only the Air Show but as it is an extension of the Imperial War Museum it is a wonderful day out I believe.
monic49 likes this.
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2015, 18:52   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Air Shows - 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Anyone interested in seeing the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at air shows around the country this year can get the programme at -
RAF BBMF - Display Dates and Venues 2015

I am hoping to go to Duxford, not only the Air Show but as it is an extension of the Imperial War Museum it is a wonderful day out I believe.
I'd recommend it,it's a great day out with a array of military vehicles from planes to ships.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 23:16   #3
Senior Member+

It was just outside the main gate at Duxford that I experienced what I thought to be a time warp.
On my way from RAF Henlow back to RAF Neatishead in '68, or maybe '67, I pulled into the lay-by outside the gates of RAF Duxford - it had ceased to be an operational station by then.
Enjoying my sandwiches and coffee when I noticed a couple of aircraft in the distance - really took notice when I realised they were ME109s and then they got bounced by a couple of Spitfires - I hadn't drunk anything except coffee, but I certainly was not imagining what I was seeing, thought I was going crazy and was in some sort of time warp
Told the story in the RAF Club that night and fortunately someone remembered that they were filming "The Battle of Britain" and they were flying from Duxford.
Me109s and He111s borrowed from the Spanish Air Force - I gathered that the 109s were fitted with Merlin engines though.
Certainly relieved when I heard that.
Old 25-03-2015, 09:01   #4

Dawlish Air Show for me - 22nd August.

Watch it from my back garden - brilliant view.

Greatest free show on earth - if you're in the area, it's well worth it.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 14:44   #5
Senior Member+

I went to Southport last year, we were really lucky with the weather, the day before was rubbish but we had lovely a clear sky, and the Vulcan got changed to the day we went which was a bonus. Hope to do one again this year but really fancy going to the Mach Loop, just a long way to go with no guarantee of seeing anything.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 10:33   #6
Senior Member+

I saw a pic of this last week while it was still being painted, the new battle of Britain Typhoon, one half of a synchro pair with a spitfire at this years airshows.

Battle of Britain 75 ? Pt.2 ? Commemorative special scheme Eurofighter Typhoon breaks cover | GAR

Last edited by gpick24; 23-04-2015 at 10:42.
Old 23-04-2015, 14:16   #7
Senior Member+

This is a picture of the Typhoon in it's new colour scheme.
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/sa...fs=1&upscale=1
Can't work out how to just put a picture on here?
Old 23-04-2015, 14:24   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
This is a picture of the Typhoon in it's new colour scheme.
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/sa...fs=1&upscale=1
Can't work out how to just put a picture on here?
Unless they`re your own photos, then it`s probably best to put a link to it.
Old 23-04-2015, 15:12   #9
Senior Member+

I was fortunate enough to be invited to stay at the British Legion Hotel on the promenade at Southport for two weeks a few years ago.
The Air Show was held during the weekend between our to weeks holiday.
We had pre booked tickets for the Saturday and on the Sunday watched from the upstairs lounge in the hotel. The views from the window were superb.
I have tried to get the same two weeks this years but up to now have not had a reply, its invitation only and free.
Old 23-04-2015, 15:20   #10
Senior Member+

It`s worth a trip to the beach for a watch Gremlin, a great view with planes on the ground to have a look at, even a couple of simulators (red arrows & typhoon last year) if you fancy a go.
Old 23-04-2015, 17:50   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
It`s worth a trip to the beach for a watch Gremlin, a great view with planes on the ground to have a look at, even a couple of simulators (red arrows & typhoon last year) if you fancy a go.
Yes we went to the beach when we went last time.
I didn't bother waiting ages to sit in a Red Arrows plane or the simulator though.
Duxford's another great day out which I wouldn't mind paying a return visit.
Last plane I flew in was a Beverley in 1960, it had the rear doors removed so we could throw pallets out on 'chutes over the Salisbury plain.
I was at Old Sarum.
All my European travelling has been by road ever since.
Old 23-04-2015, 18:37   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Last plane I flew in was a Beverley in 1960, it had the rear doors removed so we could throw pallets out on 'chutes over the Salisbury plain.
Memories - I will try and dig out the photographs that I took from a head down position out of the tail boom of a Beverly in '64 over North Borneo. When I had the films processed I realised that once again I had proved what a pillock I could be - so I imbibed copious amounts of Tiger to restore myself.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 23-04-2015, 19:00   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I flew a Chipmunk as a yoof with the ATC, then I grew up & became a Squaddie & got to fly about in a Puma, Chinook, Vicky 10 & a Hercy bird all "courtesy?" of Crab air! Even had a low level jolly along the Belgique canals during a NATO exercise thanks to the American Heavy lift Sqn in their UH 60's.
Old 23-04-2015, 20:50   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I flew a Chipmunk as a yoof with the ATC, then I grew up & became a Squaddie & got to fly about in a Puma, Chinook, Vicky 10 & a Hercy bird all "courtesy?" of Crab air! Even had a low level jolly along the Belgique canals during a NATO exercise thanks to the American Heavy lift Sqn in their UH 60's.
Failed the ATC course then?
Old 24-04-2015, 17:11   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Failed the ATC course then?
Only when they found out my parents were married (to each other) same teason I failed the Plod entrance exam.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..