Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 09:36   #1
Resting in Peace

Chalk Walk... Yesterday ;)

That Gayle's been at it again.

This afternoon (from 2 o'clock) we will be doing a chalk walk. This is to promote the newly opened Civic Arts Centre.

Some of us will be setting off from The Arts Centre in Oswaldtwistle, and others from Haworth Art Gallery. We will be chalking a line down into Town and meeting in the centre ... how cool is that. If you see us, give us a wave and you can doodle along the line if you wish (nothing pervy mind). Hope it does not end like Watford Gap did...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2010, 13:45   #2
Resting in Peace

re: Chalk Walk... Yesterday ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
That Gayle's been at it again.

This afternoon (from 2 o'clock) we will be doing a chalk walk. This is to promote the newly opened Civic Arts Centre.

Some of us will be setting off from The Arts Centre in Oswaldtwistle, and others from Haworth Art Gallery. We will be chalking a line down into Town and meeting in the centre ... how cool is that. If you see us, give us a wave and you can doodle along the line if you wish (nothing pervy mind). Hope it does not end like Watford Gap did...
Must be an art thingy, never could understand art to that extent, always thought it was a painting hung on a wall misen
Old 09-10-2010, 17:45   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Must be an art thingy, never could understand art to that extent, always thought it was a painting hung on a wall misen
Oh dear, Jaysay, art and culture covers lots of things .. not just paintings.. drama, dancing, book reading, music, singing, writing, even knitting groups, etc., this is the aim of the Civic Arts Centre to bring all this to the people of Hyndburn ... hopefully, to shut people's gobs up who complain "nowt to do around here"

It is National Drawing Day today and that lended a theme to our Chalk Walk. Was great fun, but the rain will soon wash it away, so if you wish to try and follow it ... do it quickly and admire our works of art along the way ... LOL.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:30   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Oh dear, Jaysay, art and culture covers lots of things .. not just paintings.. drama, dancing, book reading, music, singing, writing, even knitting groups, etc., this is the aim of the Civic Arts Centre to bring all this to the people of Hyndburn ... hopefully, to shut people's gobs up who complain "nowt to do around here"

It is National Drawing Day today and that lends a theme to our Chalk Walk. Was great fun, but the rain will soon wash it away, so if you wish to try and follow it ... do it quickly and admire our works of art along the way ... LOL.
I think, as far as art is concerned Kate, that I could never see a dirty bed or an empty room with a light going on and off all the time or a 200 yards crack in concrete as art myself, I've been round the national gallery in London (if that's what its called) and was quite interested in the paintings, but that's as far as it goes with me. I'm not decrying anybody who gets pleasure out of abstract things, each to his/her own, but I just don't see half a cow in formaldehyde or what ever is, as art
Old 10-10-2010, 11:03   #5
Beacon of light

Re: Chalk Walk... Yesterday ;)

Jaysay, your post just goes to illustrate how varied tastes in 'Art' are.
I love Architectural carvings. I could wander round a big city all day looking up at the decorations on what were/are, functional buildings....but what amazes me the most, are the Cathedrals and churches......these took centuries to build. Men worked on them with the most basic tools, knowing that they themselves, would never see their works of art(for that is truly what they are)completed.

I do like some of the modern stuff .......Jack Vettriano, slated by art critics, yet I love his pictures for the bygone times and the elegance that they represent......John Miller, I love his pictures too....those hot blue skies, sandspurs, emptiness and quiet...the kind of quiet that speaks to you(does that sound daft?).
Art, like perfume, is very personal.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:19   #6
God Member

Thank you to those that attended the Chalk Walk. It was great fun.

There were a few reasons why we did it -
- it was National Drawing Day so tied in nicely with that
- publicity for the Arts Centre (pics will be sent to the papers)
- to link (metaphorically) three of the boroughs main cultural venues Civic Arts Centre, Haworth Art Gallery and Accrington Town Hall
- to demonstrate how easy it is to walk to these places from Accrington Town Centre
- creative people being creative together
- for fun

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 15:09   #7
God Member

at one time kids used to get told to 'sod off' for chalking on to flags ,and a bucket of water tossed over it , but guess that was in the days when folks were houseproud , wonder what will happen when the precious little darlings graduate up from chalk to cans of spray paint, will it still be seen as 'artistic'
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 15:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I love Architectural carvings. I could wander round a big city all day looking up at the decorations on what were/are, functional buildings.
Walk down Richmond Terrace in Blackburn, I think its the museum. That building has some beautiful carvings. They illustrate the days when it was built, and life of the day. It is a beautiful building.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 17:45   #9
Beacon of light

Odders, the industrial North West is full of beautiful buildings, much like the one in your picture.
I walk round with a permanent crick in my neck
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 17:57   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Walk down Richmond Terrace in Blackburn, I think its the museum. That building has some beautiful carvings. They illustrate the days when it was built, and life of the day. It is a beautiful building.
Ya it is the museum odders and its very interesting too, ha a good look round a few years ago when I took something in to see if anybody could tell me what date its made, they couldn't

« Over coffee | Kfc »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..