Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2011, 18:46   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Grandmaster flash live in accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post

I don't like rap music much, but reckon that fans of the genre will flock to see him.
My view also,but yeh missed a C out.
Old 13-12-2011, 18:49   #17
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
My view also,but yeh missed a C out.
So I take it you won't be there, wearing a back-to-front baseball cap...!!?
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 19:01   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
As there's a bit of an 80's revival vibe going on at the moment, I think this gig might do well - plus Mr Flash seems to be an icon in rap circles.

A couple of weeks ago I went to see Fish (former singer with Marillion) in Darwen, the gig was sold out...people came from miles around to see him - I know this because Fish did a kind of Q&A session between songs and by speaking to people after the gig.

I don't like rap music much, but reckon that fans of the genre will flock to see him.
Oh he's a Rapper is he Steve, know wonder I don't know him, there are only two typs of music I dislike thats Rap and Punk
Old 13-12-2011, 19:14   #19
God Member

Lets get this straight, shall we.

Music is about 1-2-3-4 or however many people playing an instument with some skill or perhaps using their their vocal chords to produce something which at the least, is pleasant to experiance and at best is a moment to appreciate, to imagine and to wonder.

What music is certainly not is some plonker playing with a few buttons, scratching a few bits of plastic and shouting over an amplified microphone to produce the sort of din I can get with a kango from the local tool hire shop.

So go and stick your Grandmaster right up where a sheet of the lavatory roll goes.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 19:21   #20
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

Music is about 1-2-3-4 or however many people playing an instument with some skill or perhaps using their their vocal chords to produce something which at the least, is pleasant to experiance and at best is a moment to appreciate, to imagine and to wonder.

What music is certainly not is some plonker playing with a few buttons, scratching a few bits of plastic and shouting over an amplified microphone to produce the sort of din I can get with a kango from the local tool hire shop.

So go and stick your Grandmaster right up where a sheet of the lavatory roll goes.
hear hear, very well put
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 19:28   #21
Full Member+

Better watch it Tealeaf, or you might find a group of very angry black men wearing chunky gold chains and big rings knockin' at ya door!!!
Old 13-12-2011, 19:32   #22

Quote:

A glorified record player. As i remember dj's don't like being called record players.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 19:49   #23

Hmmmm....... not sure i want to get into this debate all i will say is GRAMMY AWARD WINNING ARTIST...... ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME............ I dont think you get those accolades from just playing records, whos one of the biggest artistes at the moment DAVID GUETTA who is also just DJ, Grandmaster created the tracks he didnt just sit there and do a bit of scratching, Im not saying its everyones cup of tea but its a coup, I have BASSHUNTER on in January at Level One which is another major coup however if i put Basshunter id be getting my ear chewed off here lol
Leon Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 20:43   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kelly View Post
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME............ I dont think you get those accolades from just playing records
Absolute crap...Alan Freed's in the Rock & Roll hall of Fame and he just played records...although the records he played were brilliant, unlike this character you're inflicting on Accy. Personally, I think the cops should wait at the borough boundary and bar him from entering for offences against good music. Still, I'm sure there'll be plenty of dingbats who'll hand over their dosh for this garbage.
Old 13-12-2011, 20:50   #25
God Member

Just out of interest, Wyn, is there anywhere in Accy now where it is possible to go and see live musicians who are playing without the assistance of a karaoke machine or some similar apparatus? That excludes the WMC’s with their third rate singalong Saturday night idiots.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 20:59   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just out of interest, Wyn, is there anywhere in Accy now where it is possible to go and see live musicians who are playing without the assistance of a karaoke machine or some similar apparatus? That excludes the WMC’s with their third rate singalong Saturday night idiots.
Think Stanley Street may have some live music on, Mr T. Steve2qec's yer man who has his finger on the pulse of the Accy gig scene.
Old 13-12-2011, 21:10   #27
Full Member+

Think there's a band on at Whittaker's Arms this weekend.
The Victoria on Manchester Road has bands on sometimes, in fact we were meant to play there this Saturday but our drummer's done a bunk. Don't know if the landlord's got anyone else.
Hope & Anchor was always my fave venue in Accy.
But there are a lot of backing track singers out there...
Old 13-12-2011, 23:50   #28

Quote:
Bohemia formerly the attic has live musicians every thursday friday and saturday, but that would mean that you would have to venture into the town centre and probably something that non of you have done for quite a while lol.... Seeing as Stanley Street is that late night party venue for a few people on here lol
Leon Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 07:14   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Cool! For those who've forgotten:

Wonder what he's like 30 yrs on...
Good record, and one that always got us on the dance floor at the State Ballroom, way back when. In fact I think I have it on 12''.

However...

'When originally released on Sugarhill, the record was credited to Grandmaster & Melle Mel (some international issues even credited Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel). This was done to mislead the general public into believing that Grandmaster Flash participated on the record, when in fact he played no part and had already left the Sugar Hill Records label the previous year.'

White Lines (Don't Don't Do It) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 07:24   #30
Give, give, give member

Like it, or loath it, Grandmaster Flash is the biggest name in pioneer deejaying, and it is a coup he's playing Accy.

Although personally I think Basshunter's an even bigger coup.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..