Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2015, 16:51   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Hyndburn Local History Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Well, I didn't know that! Might pop down one day and put a face to peoples names.
Please let me know in advance so that I can get my wig out.

Next meeting is Thursday 5th Feb. Speaker is Harold Heys, a retired Evening Telegraph reporter. He is speaking on -not from - Darwen Tower. I've ben told that he is giving a bottle of Jubilee Stout to all who attend
westendlass likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2015, 10:27   #17
Senior Member+

It's tonight !!!!! Am surprised that nobody asked - Why a Jubilee Stout.? Not even Katex asked. Is her brilliance fading ? Do her wits need sharpening ?
Old 05-02-2015, 16:38   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
It's tonight !!!!! Am surprised that nobody asked - Why a Jubilee Stout.? Not even Katex asked. Is her brilliance fading ? Do her wits need sharpening ?
Ahh, Bob. I get it!

You're getting a bottle of Jubilee Stout because you got the name wrong!

Consolation prize?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:20   #19
Senior Member+

Harold's one-hour presentation started in 1860s when the moors were closed by landowners who employed men to protect the shooting rights and prevent trespassing. There followed a mass trespass and neogotations with the owners to allow walking on footpaths. In January 1897, in the Queen's 60th Jubilee year, a letter to the Darwen News suggested the building of a tower. In September the first sod was cut, and in June the following the tower was opened. Cost £773. It is at a higher above-sea level than is
the Peel Tower, but 20ft lower. Harold went onto talk about the India Mill chimney.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:24   #20
Senior Member+

Sounds an interesting evening-wish I could have gone.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 21:08   #21
Senior Member+

Next meeting is on Thursday 2nd November, when Mike Rothwell is the speaker. He will be selling his latest book, an update of his 1979 book on Hyndburn's Industrial Heritage. So far as I am concerned, this is a 'must have' @ £12. It has been funded by the society. Mike knows more about the subject than anyone has ever known. Starts @ 7.30pm. finishes 9pm A small charge on the door for non-members- A yeara's membership ciosts £12/

The society is looking for new committee members. - if interested, ring the sec , David Climpson on 237229
Old 25-10-2017, 19:49   #22

you have absolutely right

jimeryhowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 11:17   #23

Re: you have absolutely right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimeryhowits View Post
Whom has what absolutely right?
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:46   #24
Senior Member+

So very sorry to learn of the death of Mr Mike Rothwell, a well known local lad, ex teacher/headmaster and renowned local historian. He died on 20th May 2018. His latest, updated book "Industrial Heritage" will be the final chapter in his books on our industrial heritage, which he first began writing in 1978. His book is on sale in our Museum in the Arndale, which re-opened yesterday ie 7th June 2018. A lovely lovely lad!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..