Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 22:30   #1
Junior Member+

Mapping Accy

On Friday morning we're on Radio Lancs talking about this project so please listen in.

Then on Saturday morning we're organising an event in the town centre to ask people for their experiences and opinions.

So come and join us and tell us what you think. Balloons, pens and badges in return for telling us your stories. Google "mapping accy" and you'll find more info.
John Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2010, 23:05   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Mapping Accy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flanagan View Post
On Friday morning we're on Radio Lancs talking about this project so please listen in.

Then on Saturday morning we're organising an event in the town centre to ask people for their experiences and opinions.

So come and join us and tell us what you think. Balloons, pens and badges in return for telling us your stories. Google "mapping accy" and you'll find more info.

Hiya John ... may have been a good idea to add it to Gayle's thread .. has a little more information. Fri/Sat. morning bit vague .. could be next week ? ..

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ton-53825.html
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 00:56   #3
God Member

Who's paying for all this ? presume you and your crew are not working for nowt
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:16   #4
God Member

I'll answer that Steeljack. John has been commissioned by Hyndburn Borough Council to do a new map for the town centre. The funding came from central government a few months ago (before the election) and has been matched by the Arts Council.

Just so it's in the right thread, I've added John's questionnaire that we'll be using tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map.jpg (156.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg questionnaire.jpg (366.9 KB, 8 views)

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:41   #5
God Member

What is the purpose of this exercise? Why do we need a new map of the town centre? I'm puzzled.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 13:00   #6
God Member

Maybe a new map IS needed, but it sounds like an expensive load of palava for a few modifications that a council clerk could do.

Whilst I am on the topic of wasted council tax -
....Heys field is regularly mown by the LCC. It is not used for football because of severe drainage problems, and plans are afoot (unless recent cuts kybosh them) to do extensive drainage works.

There is a sign which advises no unauthorised ball games, golf practice, dog excercising etc. allowed, so why does the turf need keeping in condition?

If the grass was allowed to grow long, it would prevent it from being used as a doggy loo and potential caravan site.

PS to mods - if you want me to create a thread seperately please say so.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 14:20   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
PS to mods - if you want me to create a thread seperately please say so.
Don't bother, Margaret - they are all down the pub now and by the time they sober up - sometime on sunday - your post will have long passed them by.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 16:22   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
What is the purpose of this exercise? Why do we need a new map of the town centre? I'm puzzled.
There are maps in notice boards and printed so that people can get directions from the Tourist Information Centre. The lady in there gets asked directions many times a day and she had hand out maps to give out. They are 15 years old - the layout of the town has changed a lot since then, things like the market and bus stations moving, plus the new buildings with JJB and Wilkinsons, plus other changes.

It's not council tax money. It's mostly lottery funded.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 17:41   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
So that visitors can find there way to the research centre
Old 09-07-2010, 18:47   #10
Junior Member+

I've been talking to the lady in the Tourist Info Centre and she has to spend a lot of her time amending the current map so an updated one will save "council" time and be better for everyone especially because of all the improvements that have happened.

Sorry Katex, I should have been more specific - it's happening tomorrow morning Saturday 10th July from 10am until about 2pm. So please bring your thoughts and ideas about what the map should contain, or if you want, let me know in this forum.
John Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 19:01   #11
God Member

As an 'elderly person', I would like it to include-
.... sites of public seating and public toilets

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 19:09   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
There are maps in notice boards and printed so that people can get directions from the Tourist Information Centre. The lady in there gets asked directions many times a day and she had hand out maps to give out. They are 15 years old - the layout of the town has changed a lot since then, things like the market and bus stations moving, plus the new buildings with JJB and Wilkinsons, plus other changes.

It's not council tax money. It's mostly lottery funded.
The Council doesn't have an up to date map of the town center , I'm shocked ... surely in this day and age with the technology available (drag and click) the Tourist info maps could be updated by a bright 16 yr old spending an afternoon in the Town Clerks office
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 19:37   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
The Council doesn't have an up to date map of the town center , I'm shocked ... surely in this day and age with the technology available (drag and click) the Tourist info maps could be updated by a bright 16 yr old spending an afternoon in the Town Clerks office
Bright 16 year olds are all playing video games SJ
Old 11-07-2010, 11:09   #14

Whilst I agree, in principal, that Accrington Town needs a new map I am struggling to see how this meets the discription 'Liberating Empty Properties' or is indeed an ART project. The project is a creative one though, and that is to be celebrated.
Can you tell me here the full cost of the project and how many maps will be printed? Am I correct in thinking that the end 'product' will be solely a number of maps or is there more to the project than that?
I walked into town and then home again on Saturday and on the walk home through the Peel area I did see a number of deflated yellow ballons lying in the gutters... I wonder where all those plastic sticks went?
Witnessing a group of people distributiing plastic promotional items, with the full permission of Hyndburn Council, on Broadway made my heart sink - momentarily! I am now determined to lobby the Council for a policy that insists that any promotional items distributed via projects that carry the Hyndburn Council branding must be biodegradable or made from recycled materials in an effort to minimise the impact to Earth's precious ecology. Please spend some time to inform your selves of the enormous impact plastic is making on life around the planet

and please let this be just the beginning of a growing awareness of how our shopping choices impacts on life, here and on the other side of the world, and let it inspire a strengthening of our determination to REDUCE the amout of plastic waste we, as Hyndburn residents, generate. In a well managed community there should be little need to re-cycle because the main emphasis is placed on the REDUCTION of consumption that creates waste and the REUSE of many of the items that currently get thrown away with little thought of where they may end up.
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel View Post
Whilst I agree, in principal, that Accrington Town needs a new map I am struggling to see how this meets the discription 'Liberating Empty Properties' or is indeed an ART project. The project is a creative one though, and that is to be celebrated.
Can you tell me here the full cost of the project and how many maps will be printed? Am I correct in thinking that the end 'product' will be solely a number of maps or is there more to the project than that?
I walked into town and then home again on Saturday and on the walk home through the Peel area I did see a number of deflated yellow ballons lying in the gutters... I wonder where all those plastic sticks went?
Witnessing a group of people distributiing plastic promotional items, with the full permission of Hyndburn Council, on Broadway made my heart sink - momentarily! I am now determined to lobby the Council for a policy that insists that any promotional items distributed via projects that carry the Hyndburn Council branding must be biodegradable or made from recycled materials in an effort to minimise the impact to Earth's precious ecology. Please spend some time to inform your selves of the enormous impact plastic is making on life around the planet

and please let this be just the beginning of a growing awareness of how our shopping choices impacts on life, here and on the other side of the world, and let it inspire a strengthening of our determination to REDUCE the amout of plastic waste we, as Hyndburn residents, generate. In a well managed community there should be little need to re-cycle because the main emphasis is placed on the REDUCTION of consumption that creates waste and the REUSE of many of the items that currently get thrown away with little thought of where they may end up.
Thank you for that, I love being preached at especially on a Sunday, now you've got it off your chest perhaps a lie down in a darkened room will do you some good?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accy, centre, mapping, town

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..