Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2010, 18:08   #1
Resting In Peace

meals out

me and pam have just been to the the red cap it was crap,
cold vedg a stuffing ball like a golf ball, gravy you could stand a spoon in. never again,
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-08-2010, 18:32   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: meals out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
me and pam have just been to the the red cap it was crap,
cold vedg a stuffing ball like a golf ball, gravy you could stand a spoon in. never again,
Think the Red Cap has been mentioned on here before Tosh, seems its good sometimes and bloody awful others
Old 16-08-2010, 18:51   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think the Red Cap has been mentioned on here before Tosh, seems its good sometimes and bloody awful others
My sentiments exactly jaysay. I have been a few times and enjoyed a meal or two but not others. The spuds were very hard once and I went and asked for more butter, they asked why and when I told them I wanted to soften the spuds they shrugged their shoulders and no comment.
Never been back since.
Old 16-08-2010, 19:18   #4
Senior Member+

It can vary a bit in Quality! I go quite a bit, well once or twice a month with me lad, as its handy and easy access for us! We dont usually have much of the Veg, apart from the Roast Spuds (which are usually good), the Cauliflour (very hard lately) and the baked onions! (Cant really ruin an onion!) The Beef can sometimes be tough, and the Turkey sometimes dry, the Gammon is often the best bet. Yorkies are fine, but the stuffing balls we usually avoid cos they are like bullets! However on most occasions, things are usually pretty good, and at £3.59 each it does represent good value for the most part! Its not Michelin star grub by a long shot, but your not paying daft prices either, you'd pay more than that for a butty in many places these days!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 19:46   #5
Junior Member+

Jade garden across from tesco petrol st mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! or calfs head
phil micrackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 19:52   #6
Senior Member+

What makes it for me is the four or five Yorkshire puds I usually have to compensate for what I posted above.
I put a bit of mint sauce in each (not a lot) and eat them like butties with my fingers.
My missis says I have no breeding but that's great telling a Yorkshire chap that when she is from Accrington.
Old 17-08-2010, 09:20   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
What makes it for me is the four or five Yorkshire puds I usually have to compensate for what I posted above.
I put a bit of mint sauce in each (not a lot) and eat them like butties with my fingers.
My missis says I have no breeding but that's great telling a Yorkshire chap that when she is from Accrington.
Accy Lasses are usually right Gremlin unless they're called Michelle that is sorry Accylass only jesting
Old 17-08-2010, 12:46   #8
Beacon of light

If you want a lunchtime meal out, and have wheels, then you cannot do better than the Read Garden Centre(opposite the Gamecock in Gt Harwood)...Ok it won't be as cheap as the food at the Redcap, but I can guarantee it will be freshly made home cooked stuff.

The only thing I would say is to go early, the 'specials' are very popular and sell out quickly and once they are gone, that is it until the following days bake.
Please give it a try, you will not be disappointed.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 14:26   #9

the Griffin used to be good at lunch times dont know what its like now but i do know that the pub going down to lowerhouse sycamore farm is excellent they do both carvery and normal pub food i havent had the carvery but people tell me its excellent i can vouch for the pub food and the service is excellent
Tickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 14:46   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickler View Post
the Griffin used to be good at lunch times dont know what its like now but i do know that the pub going down to lowerhouse sycamore farm is excellent they do both carvery and normal pub food i havent had the carvery but people tell me its excellent i can vouch for the pub food and the service is excellent

I had the carvery on Saturday and found it very tasteless to be honest, wasnt too impressed at all. The other food seemed ok but not the carvery and its about £7.50 I think so over twice the price of redcap. The meat wasnt too bad but the veg was dry, tasteless and didnt look very appealing either. So Id avoid the carvery from there but their other meals were fine and their deserts were to die for.....i was so tempted x
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 16:52   #11
Senior Member+

We went to the Redcap 3 or 4 times when I was over in May. Pretty good on each occasion. could not say the same for the Gamecock unfortunately - inexperienced and uninterested staff - including the duty manageress. I guess luck comes into it a great deal, but I do look forward to the Redcap in October and have had good reports of the "Harvester" at Hapton(?), so we will be trying that too.
Old 18-08-2010, 00:55   #12

Don't expect service from Brewers Fayre, Wetherspoons, cheap caverys etc It's crap food and those who serve it know just how bad it is.

There are some great places doing proper food around here - in my humble opinion you'd be better going to somewhere good once a month/two months than going somewhere crap every fortnight.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 06:07   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Don't expect service from Brewers Fayre, Wetherspoons, cheap caverys etc It's crap food and those who serve it know just how bad it is.

There are some great places doing proper food around here - in my humble opinion you'd be better going to somewhere good once a month/two months than going somewhere crap every fortnight.
Wise words.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:41   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post

Would totally agree with that Sam
Old 23-08-2010, 15:29   #15

Went to the Park Inn, Manchester Road, yesterday for lunch. What a brilliant meal. Two roast dinners £11.80, can't go wrong with that.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..