Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2011, 07:42   #1
Resting in Peace

National Coal Mining Museum

www.ncm.org.uk

This is at Wakefied (just an hour's drive).

Visited on Saturday and was deeply affected by the conditions and the hardships of being a miner.

Although my ancesters came from Cornwall to sink pits in Huncoat; in my lifetime, they were more or less employed in the textile industry, so know little about this past industry.

It is an excellent day out, especially if you take the trip to go underground. In fact, will go again as didn't get time to explore all the museum or outside exhibits.

It's all free.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-07-2011, 15:25   #2
God Member

Re: National Coal Mining Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
www.ncm.org.uk

Although my ancesters came from Cornwall to sink pits in Huncoat; .

Some of my ancestors were tin miners from Linkinhome in Cornwall and moved to the mines up here. You might be my older cousin

Is the trip undergound an actual mine or a mock up ?
Old 20-07-2011, 16:26   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i assume it would be a Drift Mine if it aint a mock up?
Old 20-07-2011, 17:43   #4

The wife & I went last year, fantastic free day out - it is undergound, you do go down in the "cage" Worthwile trip & experience

Dave
Old 20-07-2011, 17:43   #5

Dave - Mel & the kids would enjoy it
Old 20-07-2011, 17:50   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc View Post
Dave - Mel & the kids would enjoy it
shame they don't still send kids down the mines
Old 20-07-2011, 18:19   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc View Post
The wife & I went last year, fantastic free day out - it is undergound, you do go down in the "cage" Worthwile trip & experience

Dave
Ah cheers mickmc, so it aint a drift, may have a sneck oer yon, would love to go down in the cage once more, though think the boss will let me down on me own.
Old 20-07-2011, 19:08   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ah cheers mickmc, so it aint a drift, may have a sneck oer yon, would love to go down in the cage once more, though think the boss will let me down on me own.
'To discover the depths descend 140 metres underground down one of Britain's oldest working mines. Your guide will take you around the workings, sharing his mining experiences with you. The tour lasts approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. Each visitor is provided with a hat, belt and battery, so that the true atmosphere of working life underground is captured.
The last underground tour daily is at 3.15pm; simply book in at Reception on arrival.'

Tell Paris to take a warm cardy.
Old 20-07-2011, 19:15   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Went a couple of years ago, a good day out, they took all the precautions the same as if it was still working, phones, cameras, watches all removed & stowed & you spend about an hour & a half underground viewing the kit & gubbins the lads used when working & up top there's the museum part.
Old 20-07-2011, 20:41   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Some of my ancestors were tin miners from Linkinhome in Cornwall and moved to the mines up here. You might be my older cousin
This now scares me .. Linkinhorne is about 3 miles west from Stokeclimsland where mine came from. So every possibility ...
Old 21-07-2011, 06:34   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
You can borrow my Canary. Let me know how you get on I'm staying on top.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 16:49   #12
God Member

Took my youngest today and he loved it.

one thing i noticed is that on the final stretch leading to the mine there were 6 front facing speed cameras within a mile so watch out if you go by car and don't get caught unawares.Oddly enough there wasn't one outside the small junior school

great afternoon out though and authentic old style recipe dandelion and burdock and lemonade on sale.

My lad asked if you could keep any diamonds you found and was told yes lol (He was looking very hard for them but we didnt leave any richer)

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 04-08-2011 at 16:51.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..