Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 21:50   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Parkinson's Disease Society new local group

Good luck again... and let me know if I can help in any way: Yes I would say there is a great need for a support group, I personally don't have time to attened all meetings and so on: however I am more than happy to help in other ways.... I have books and so on, and maybe I could do some kind of fact sheet or something. pm me:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2009, 00:51   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Good luck again... and let me know if I can help in any way: Yes I would say there is a great need for a support group, I personally don't have time to attened all meetings and so on: however I am more than happy to help in other ways.... I have books and so on, and maybe I could do some kind of fact sheet or something. pm me:
Thank you.

Hopefully the Observer are doing an article about Wendy Dwyer retiring as a County Councillor, and her helping to start this new group for Hyndburn and the Ribble Valley.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 11:10   #18
Give, give, give member

I'd like to thank Taggy and Magpie for the kind book donation.

Hopefully this could be the start of a small lending library, where people can borrow books and hopefully glean useful information.

I know when I was first diagnosed I knew very little about Parkinson's, and was only given a small leaflet, which was quite brutal in it's style, and left me more in the dark than ever.

Knowledge is power, and I'll try to make sure as many people as possible have access to that knowledge.

Thanks ever so much...and it was great to meet you both too.

Old 16-02-2009, 11:25   #19
Senior Member+

Your most welcome Garinda, it was lovely to meet you too. I dont know if you've read todays Telegraph or not, i've just looked at it now as i've got in the house, and theres a large article about a Clinical Research Study on Page 23, for which they are now enrolling. This looks very interesting, it says participants will receive:

Monitoring of their health as it relates to the clinical study

Ongoing study-related medical care by Parkinson's disease medical staff.

Investigational medication at no cost.

There are certain criteria to qualify, which are mentioned in the article, and this and more info is available at:-
Parkinson's Disease Study

Might be well worth a look!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 12:04   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Your most welcome Garinda, it was lovely to meet you too. I dont know if you've read todays Telegraph or not, i've just looked at it now as i've got in the house, and theres a large article about a Clinical Research Study on Page 23, for which they are now enrolling. This looks very interesting, it says participants will receive:

Monitoring of their health as it relates to the clinical study

Ongoing study-related medical care by Parkinson's disease medical staff.

Investigational medication at no cost.

There are certain criteria to qualify, which are mentioned in the article, and this and more info is available at:-
Parkinson's Disease Study

Might be well worth a look!

Best Regards - Taggy
Cheers I'll cheack it out.

I spent part of last week taking part in a research programme for Dr.Leroi, to see how Parkinson's may make some people obsessive, and prone to gambling.

Happily I've no desire to start online gambling, and as for being obsessive?

Never.

Old 16-02-2009, 12:14   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Cheers I'll cheack it out.

I spent part of last week taking part in a research programme for Dr.Leroi, to see how Parkinson's may make some people obsessive, and prone to gambling.

Happily I've no desire to start online gambling, and as for being obsessive?

Never.
....My Dad did start to take part in a lot of these TV Phone in competitions!! Lol! Take Care.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:09   #22
Give, give, give member

Just a reminder to those members of Accy Web who've told me they are coming, or bringing someone, that the next meeting of the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley P.D.S. is tomorrow, Saturday 7th March, 11.30 am - 1.30 pm. in the Supper Room (1st floor but lift access) at Accrington Town Hall, and there'll be an informal Jacob's Join lunch.

I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:46   #23
Give, give, give member

On behalf of the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson's Disease Group I'd like to thank Hyndburn Borough Council, who have very kindly granted us £250.00 to help with the start up costs involved with running this support group for anyone who's been touched by Parkinson's.

Until we are able to raise more of our own funds this will enable us to run the group and not charge people for attending, which I feel is very important, as many people are living on a tight budget because of the illness. It also means we'll be able to let more people know we are there if they need any help or support from the PDS.

My personal thanks to Cllr. Britcliffe, who alerted me to the fact that some help may be available if I applied to the council.

The next full meeting is on Saturday 2nd May, in the Supper Room, Accrington Town Hall, 11.30am - 1.30pm. There is wheelchair access via the lift.

For anyone who might be in the Ribble Valley there's also a meet and greet at the Rose & Crown, Castle Street, Clitheroe, on April 22nd, 7 - 9pm.

A warm welcome will be extended to everyone at both events.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:22   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
On behalf of the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson's Disease Group I'd like to thank Hyndburn Borough Council, who have very kindly granted us £250.00 to help with the start up costs involved with running this support group for anyone who's been touched by Parkinson's.

Until we are able to raise more of our own funds this will enable us to run the group and not charge people for attending, which I feel is very important, as many people are living on a tight budget because of the illness. It also means we'll be able to let more people know we are there if they need any help or support from the PDS.

My personal thanks to Cllr. Britcliffe, who alerted me to the fact that some help may be available if I applied to the council.

The next full meeting is on Saturday 2nd May, in the Supper Room, Accrington Town Hall, 11.30am - 1.30pm. There is wheelchair access via the lift.

For anyone who might be in the Ribble Valley there's also a meet and greet at the Rose & Crown, Castle Street, Clitheroe, on April 22nd, 7 - 9pm.

A warm welcome will be extended to everyone at both events.
Nice to hear about a plus for HBC for a change instead of the usual negative aspects. Hope your group is very successful Rindi, it does help if there is a certain amount of support within the local community, I always worked on the premise that a problem shared is a problem halved, it does help to talk to other people especially where health problems are concerned
Old 16-04-2009, 22:11   #25
God Member

Apparently it's Parkinsons Awareness week next. There's an article in the Telegraph which makes you realise how you never know whats round the corner.

Good article G

Former high-flyer, 44, tells of Parkinson's disease battle (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 16-04-2009, 22:27   #26
Resting in Peace

Wowee .... Good promotion for your group, and a small insight into your thoughts and courageous attitude to your condition .. love ya' to bits x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 23:36   #27
Give, give, give member

The national Parkinson's Disease Society were looking for a few differing people to talk about their lives, so I volunteered, and have done a few interviews recently.

Camilla Sutcliffe, the health editor at the Lancashire Telegraph, was kind enough to let me mention the group, in exchange for me prattling on about my life, as part of an article she wrote for Parkinson's awareness week, which starts next Monday.

Apparently there'll be a photograph to go with the article in the paper. There's one the photographer took of me looking wistfully out of a window, and another of me hanging from a branch, in which I look Oriental, and not unlike a Sumo wrestler.

I hope they chose wistful, rather than me hanging from a tree.

Old 16-04-2009, 23:51   #28
God Member

Great write up G well done you for speaking so frankly about things
Old 16-04-2009, 23:56   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Great write up G well done you for speaking so frankly about things

Thank you.

The headline's a bit cringe making, and not how I'd describe myself.

She did a good job of making sense of me rambling on. Perhaps I did say about the wheelchair, but that's not what I meant.

I was trying to stress the positive, and that I don't dwell on the future possibilities that may arise, and instead hope the medical research comes up with a cure, not only for PD but for other degenerative illnesses too.

Old 16-04-2009, 23:57   #30
God Member

when we talked about this earlier gary you mentioned they took a few pictures of you in various poses and said how you hoped they wouldnt use the one of you looking like you were hanging off a tree

sorry mate but the picture got leaked

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..