Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2009, 16:23   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Parkinson's Disease Society new local group

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
My thanks to the little girl and her parents, who this week dropped off a bucket of money for the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson's disease support group.

Caring Clitheroe pupil's charity pyjama party - Clitheroe Today

It's much appreciated, and will be used wisely.
It makes everything worth while when people do things like that Rindi
Old 25-08-2009, 15:48   #77
Give, give, give member

The next meeting of the Hyndburn & Ribble Valley Parkinson’s disease support group is on Saturday 5th September, in the Supper Room at Accrington Town Hall.
Jacob’s join shared lunch, and a warm welcome extended to old and new members.
(Wheelchair access, and also a lift to the first floor.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 16:40   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The next meeting of the Hyndburn & Ribble Valley Parkinson’s disease support group is on Saturday 5th September, in the Supper Room at Accrington Town Hall.
Jacob’s join shared lunch, and a warm welcome extended to old and new members.
(Wheelchair access, and also a lift to the first floor.)

Whoops!

An indication of the time it's on might be useful.

11.30 am - 1.30 pm.

Old 26-08-2009, 09:18   #79
Resting in Peace

I've noticed that Muhammad Ali is in Manchester today and is at a dinner tonight at Old Trafford in aid of his Parkinson's disease charity Rindi
Old 27-08-2009, 02:53   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've noticed that Muhammad Ali is in Manchester today and is at a dinner tonight at Old Trafford in aid of his Parkinson's disease charity Rindi
The top boy Ali in town?...I must admit I don't even watch more than the first 3 minutes of the news but never knew Ali was up Manchester.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 08:46   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The top boy Ali in town?...I must admit I don't even watch more than the first 3 minutes of the news but never knew Ali was up Manchester.
It was on both local news channels.

It was quite sad to see the state of his health, but great to see the massive respect he still has.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:40   #82
Give, give, give member

The next meeting of the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson’s disease support group will be held on Saturday 7th November, 11-30 am – 1.30 pm, in the Supper Room, Accrington Town Hall. (There is lift access to the first floor.)
A warm welcome will be extended to all who are affected by Parkinson’s, and there’ll be a bring and share lunch, and an informal talk by a representative from the Expert Patient programme.

Old 04-01-2010, 13:29   #83
Give, give, give member

The next meeting of the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson’s disease support group will be held on Saturday 9th January, in the Supper Room of Accrington Town Hall, 11am – 2pm.

We plan to celebrate our first year as a group. This month lunch will be catered for, and we will be entertained by world renowned guitarist Robin Hill, who’s performed with everyone from Pavarotti and Russell Watson, to Deep Purple.

A warm welcome will be extended to old and new friends affected by Parkinson’s.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:33   #84
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The next meeting of the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson’s disease support group will be held on Saturday 9th January, in the Supper Room of Accrington Town Hall, 11am – 2pm.

We plan to celebrate our first year as a group. This month lunch will be catered for, and we will be entertained by world renowned guitarist Robin Hill, who’s performed with everyone from Pavarotti and Russell Watson, to Deep Purple.

A warm welcome will be extended to old and new friends affected by Parkinson’s.
Sadly this event has now been cancelled, because of the dangerous weather conditions.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:32   #85
Give, give, give member

The next meeting of the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson’s disease support group is on Saturday 6th March, in the Supper Room at Accrington Town Hall, 11.30am – 1.30pm.
This month lunch will be catered for, to belatedly celebrate our first year.
A warm welcome will be extended to anyone affected by Parkinson’s

Old 23-03-2010, 18:45   #86
Junior Member+

Thats good to know - have you contacted Carers LInk in Accrington as I'm sure they would be keen to spread the word.Also Carers Contact cover Burnley Pendle and Rossendale and I'm sure they would be keen to pass this information on.Good luck.
kimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 08:51   #87
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmin View Post
Thats good to know - have you contacted Carers LInk in Accrington as I'm sure they would be keen to spread the word.Also Carers Contact cover Burnley Pendle and Rossendale and I'm sure they would be keen to pass this information on.Good luck.
Thank you.

Carers Link have already kindly come to one of our meetings, and given us a talk about their work.

We do have members from both Burnley and Rossendale, but offically those locations fall under other Parkinson's Society group's areas.

I post details of our meetings on forums, and newpapers in those areas, as well as Hyndburn and the Ribble Valley, and everyone is welcomed at our informal lunch meetings.

Old 15-04-2010, 12:41   #88
Give, give, give member

The 19th - 25th April, 2010 is Parkinson's Awareness Week.

I'm being interviewed tomorrow by radio station 2BR, to talk about the disease, and the support that's available locally, from Parkinson's UK, the new name for the Parkinson's Disease Society.

It's pre-recorded, so I'm not sure when it will be broadcast, but will post later if I get to know.

So far this is the only local interview we're doing, though I am doing some more with national publications.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a good plug for the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Support Group, and alert more people that we're here if they need us.

As a new group, with attendance well over 40 at our meetings, we are seen as one of the successful branches, and feel happy we are obviously needed as a support group in this area.

We are genuinely thrilled to be supported by H.B.C., more about that next month.

Old 15-04-2010, 13:03   #89
Give, give, give member

Quote:
On behalf of the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson's Disease Group I'd like to thank Hyndburn Borough Council, who have very kindly granted us £250.00 to help with the start up costs involved with running this support group for anyone who's been touched by Parkinson's.

Until we are able to raise more of our own funds this will enable us to run the group and not charge people for attending, which I feel is very important, as many people are living on a tight budget because of the illness. It also means we'll be able to let more people know we are there if they need any help or support from the PDS.

My personal thanks to Cllr. Britcliffe, who alerted me to the fact that some help may be available if I applied to the council.

The next full meeting is on Saturday 2nd May, in the Supper Room, Accrington Town Hall, 11.30am - 1.30pm. There is wheelchair access via the lift.

For anyone who might be in the Ribble Valley there's also a meet and greet at the Rose & Crown, Castle Street, Clitheroe, on April 22nd, 7 - 9pm.

A warm welcome will be extended to everyone at both events.
I'd just like to mention some of what we did with the kind donation from H.B.C. last year.

Firstly it meant we were able to book and pay for the Supper Room at the Town Hall. Allowing us to hold the meetings in a central location, that seems easily accessible to most people, and which is certainly backed up by the numbers that we have attending.

We also used some of the money to produce information packs, for neurologists to give to newly diagnosed patients. Personally I remember feeling very lost when this happened to me. Only being told that Parkinson's disease is degenerative, and incurrable. I wasn't aware of the charity Parkinson's UK, and that there was help and support out there. Hopefully this will no longer be the case, in this area.

We've also produced information publicising our existence, which has been sent out to doctors' surgeries, chemists, libraries, and community centres. This lets people know we're here, and they are able to call a local person, who can hopefully offer support, advice, and even just a friendly ear, while people come to terms with what's happened to them.

It's been extremely useful, and we're very grateful for the support received.

Last edited by garinda; 15-04-2010 at 13:07.
Old 16-04-2010, 10:51   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The 19th - 25th April, 2010 is Parkinson's Awareness Week.

I'm being interviewed tomorrow by radio station 2BR, to talk about the disease, and the support that's available locally, from Parkinson's UK, the new name for the Parkinson's Disease Society.

It's pre-recorded, so I'm not sure when it will be broadcast, but will post later if I get to know.

So far this is the only local interview we're doing, though I am doing some more with national publications.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a good plug for the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Support Group, and alert more people that we're here if they need us.

As a new group, with attendance well over 40 at our meetings, we are seen as one of the successful branches, and feel happy we are obviously needed as a support group in this area.

We are genuinely thrilled to be supported by H.B.C., more about that next month.
The interview will be broadcast next Monday the 19th, the start of Parkinson's Awareness Week, on the hour, starting at 11am, so I think it'll be a short soundbite on the news.

I did plug the local group, and hope they leave that in.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..