Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2009, 14:16   #1
Give, give, give member

Parkinson's Disease Society new local group

There is a new local Parkinson's Disease Society branch, which is for Hyndburn and the Ribble Valley, and which will also cover Rossendale.

Today saw the second meeting of a new local branch at Accrington Town Hall. It was attended by over thirty people, who enjoyed a Jacob's Join lunch.

This new branch will be headed by Lancashire County Councillor Wendy Dwyer, who stands down from that job in the summer. She'll be supported by a committee, including your's truly.

We are meeting at my house in the next couple of weeks to discuss the next meeting, which will probably be in March.

Anyone who has Parkinson's, or whose life is touched by it, by having a family member, partner etc. who has P.D., will be very welcome to come along.

There will be a social element to these meetings, but hopefully also speakers who can give advice about living with the disease etc. The national Parkinson's Disease Society is fully behing the new group, and sent two employees to today's meeting in Accrington.

I'll post further details of the next meeting as soon as a date as been set.

Thank you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2009, 15:20   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Parkinson's Disease Society new local group

Good news that Gary and good luck with the new group.
Old 17-01-2009, 16:37   #3
God Member

Good luck with the new group, excellent idea
Old 17-01-2009, 16:52   #4
God Member

Hope it goes well G.
Old 17-01-2009, 18:03   #5
Senior Member+

Good luck with the group, it sounds a really good idea

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 12:00   #6
Senior Member+

Best wishes for the Group. Parkinsons is certainly a disease which is not widely understood, either by the Public or indeed many Health Professionals. My Father passed away last year, after suffering from Parkinsons for many years. It was awful, the suffering he endured, particularily towards the end. Much more information should be in the public domain about this dreadfull illness.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 15:01   #7
Resting in Peace

Good luck with the group.....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 15:42   #8
Junior Member+

how fantastic we hope it continues to run for a long time to come with you involved were sure it will, nearer to the next meet i will pm you and get more details good luck well be thinking of you
fluffydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 16:29   #9
Resting in Peace

That's great Garinda ... a lovely opportunity to compare 'notes' with other sufferers and to encourage research into new developments for this complicated condition.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 16:38   #10
God Member

Its a great idea, my grandad passed away after suffering from parkinsons for many years without much support for his condition........good luck with this, its certainly worthwhile.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 16:43   #11
Give, give, give member

Thanks for your support.

There is obviously a need for a local group.

Over thirty people for the second meeting, with very little publicity, was very encouraging.

The Burnley group has been going for over twenty years, and they attract similar numbers.

Old 27-01-2009, 10:14   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Thanks for your support.

There is obviously a need for a local group.

Over thirty people for the second meeting, with very little publicity, was very encouraging.

The Burnley group has been going for over twenty years, and they attract similar numbers.
This type of group are really an essential part of communicating with people who suffer or have been touched by the disorder, I had similar results when I formed the Hyndburn Branch of the National Asthma Campaign (now Asthma UK) there were over 50 at the first meeting and we regularly had 30+ at subsequent meetings too. Hope your group has continuing success Rindi
Old 27-01-2009, 11:42   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

only just seen this due to being away, think this group will certainly be a good help to many sufferers, good luck its certainly a great idea and needed, even with you on the committee.
Old 27-01-2009, 11:43   #14
Give, give, give member

The only two branches of the Parkinson's Disease Society in this part of the world, are in Bolton and Burnley, both of which meet in the evenings.

By having a daytime group based in Accrington, which is fairly easily accessible from most parts of Hyndburn and the Ribble Valley, hopefully we'll be able to fulfil a need for people who need a point of contact or support in this area. Judging by the numbers who've attended so far, with very little publicity, there is obviously a need for a local group.

The committee meet next Tuesday, and I'll post the date of the next meeting as soon as it's set.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:08   #15
Give, give, give member

The next meeting for the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson's Disease Society will be on Saturday 7th March, at 11.30 am.

Subsequent meetings will be held on the first Saturday of every other month, starting with the meeting on the 7th March. The following meetings will be on the 2nd May, 4th July, 5th September and then 7th November, and so on.

It will be held in the Supper Room at Accrington Town Hall. The room is on the first floor, but there is lift access.

There will be a Jacob's Join lunch, so any food you'd care to share would be much appreciated.

At the first meeting there will be an informal speaker, who'll be an officer employed by the national P.D.S. Future speakers to be announced at a later date.

The aim of the group is to be an informal social and support group for anyone whose life has been touched by Parkinson's.

A warm welcome will be extended to anyone who'd like to attend.

I'm going to be unoffical meeter and greeter at the meetings, and more offically press and publicity officer.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..