Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2008, 09:26   #46
Super Moderator

Re: Pubs on Blackburn rd

A nice bloke, but not one to start taking liberties with. Incidentally, I assume the establishments he was banned from on Blackburn Road included the Azad?
Old 14-01-2008, 09:39   #47
God Member

Do I know this chap, Cashy?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 10:27   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
A nice bloke, but not one to start taking liberties with. Incidentally, I assume the establishments he was banned from on Blackburn Road included the Azad?
yep thats the one vaugly margaret only since ya lived up there i would guess. wyn remembers from way back.lol

Last edited by cashman; 14-01-2008 at 10:35.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 13:02   #49

thanks for the answer about the royal and the other info I can't actually remember the dancing at the miners was that late sixties
thanks
tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 13:22   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
through the "underground"
Even thats closed now

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 20:44   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Sounds like there have been lots of changes , so basically there is nowhere in the area bounded in between Church and the street to Corporation Bus depot , Blackburn Rd. and Hyndburn Rd for anyone to get a pint , lot of people live in that area (all those streets around St Andrews Church), what do they drink ?
Some people go to the Bridge (near the sports centre) The Stag is closed as is the tanpits (its been re-named the plough) The Queens is closed. The Hyndburn is now called Eastern Promise (A kind of Indian Restaurant). The Miners is also now closed
alsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 21:04   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ireland View Post
thanks for the answer about the royal and the other info I can't actually remember the dancing at the miners was that late sixties
thanks
tony
i went late 60s early 70s Tony, after approx 71 i cant say how long it continued.
Old 15-01-2008, 21:25   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
yes this closed last friday also closed is the tanpits (plough) now
sorry got it wrong its this friday it shuts
Just a footnote, the Bridge closed the 11th .. last Friday (not the 4th) was supposed to close on the 4th, but closure was extended due to the fact that they got a late delivery of Christmas beer, so customers had to sup up

Last edited by katex; 15-01-2008 at 21:28.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 05:22   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i went late 60s early 70s Tony, after approx 71 i cant say how long it continued.
it would be around that time that the land lady was murdered
if my memory serves me well was always a good drinking place
one that opened during the day when pubs shut for the afternoon

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 05:56   #55
God Member

I'm getting confused here thru the 'mists of time' where was the Miners club in relation to Blackburn Rd. I know where Dale St. club and Bulloughs club were , but i'm lost on the the Accy Miners club , .........remember Burnley Miners club well , first time I ever saw a stripper , and was well 'gobsmacked' ..........a callow innocent youth of 16/17 seeing a woman in her late30's , early 40's stripping off whilst dancing with a python ......enough to corrupt a lad for life
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 06:31   #56
Resting in Peace

Miners club was at the top of Lister St next to the Grammer School (now long gone and houses built there) it was on same side as Boulloughs and before you get to Dale St. Hope that helps OH and the Post office was on the other side of the road if that helps.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 07:02   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T View Post
Miners club was at the top of Lister St next to the Grammer School (now long gone and houses built there) it was on same side as Boulloughs and before you get to Dale St. Hope that helps OH and the Post office was on the other side of the road if that helps.
Thanks Ber999T , just checked the location out on Google Earth and I must have walked by the place a thousand times but have no reccolection have ever going in , Lived on Newark st. when I first got wed and did evening classes at the 'old' grammer school , it was an annex for Accy Tech on Sandy lane , an ex wife lived on Lina st. , Junetta (Accy web member lived on Holland St. and an old flame (Linda something ) lived on Rutland St. ) so I kind of know the area but have no memory whatsoever of the Miners club .......Junetta help me out here

Last edited by steeljack; 16-01-2008 at 07:03. Reason: spelling
Old 16-01-2008, 07:11   #58
Resting in Peace

I used to live on Rutland st it has all gone now to make way for the medical centre
these are some of the photo's i took of them pulling Rutland st down i lived at number 2 bottom house on the left as you go up from blackburn road
one sunday morning me and a friend found a new born baby dumped on a back ally step the police named her Alice .
http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...ry.php?cat=620
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 07:30   #59
God Member

thanks mick for the attachments to the fotos , junetta and myself have chatted online about how much we would want to go/come back and check out the area just for sentimental reasons , but facing up to reality , you can never go back and life moves on, the thread has just got me wondering (probably should be a new thread) now how many couples who got married there and made their way back to check out Sacred Heart Church before it was pulled down ,
any Accy web members want to comment ? and how did you feel ?
thanks

Last edited by steeljack; 16-01-2008 at 07:31. Reason: addendum
Old 16-01-2008, 07:36   #60
Resting in Peace

yep a new thread in Nostalgia aint what it used to be... would be good and i could upload some of the 100 photo's i have of them pulling the church down
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..