Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 18:10   #1
God Member

Pubs on Blackburn rd

jumping from the other thread about Eastern Promise restaurant on the site of the Hyndburn pub , can anyone tell me what pubs are still in existance on the stretch from Church lights to Accy center , I have read on here the Commercial and the Antley are now long gone , is the Oaktree? (across from the bottom of Newark St. still there ? what about the Globe , still there or long gone ? .......guess it a long dry walk
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2008, 18:12   #2
God Member

Re: Pubs on Blackburn rd

The Last Orders (used to be the George) The Imperial, The Spread Eagle, The Railway, The Calder and the Regency i think thats about it, everything else is closed

oh and Platts is still there

The Oaktree closed a while ago, The Globe is closed too i think, thats been an awful dive as long as i can remember

Last edited by flashy; 06-01-2008 at 18:16.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 18:13   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

the only one i can think of on blackburn rd now is the old george pub near traffic lights....all the rest are shut
Old 06-01-2008, 18:14   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
the last orders (used to be the George) the Imperial, the Spread Eagle, the Railway, The Calder and the Regency i think thats about it, evrything else is closed

the oaktree closed a while ago
them as well.......the ones up top nr church are all gone
Old 06-01-2008, 18:28   #5
God Member

Sounds like there have been lots of changes , so basically there is nowhere in the area bounded in between Church and the street to Corporation Bus depot , Blackburn Rd. and Hyndburn Rd for anyone to get a pint , lot of people live in that area (all those streets around St Andrews Church), what do they drink ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 18:31   #6
God Member

i live in Blackburn now SJ, i'm sure Less or Mick will be able to tell you more
Old 06-01-2008, 18:41   #7
God Member

That area has a high muslim population - who don't drink alcohol

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 18:42   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Sounds like there have been lots of changes , so basically there is nowhere in the area bounded in between Church and the street to Corporation Bus depot , Blackburn Rd. and Hyndburn Rd for anyone to get a pint , lot of people live in that area (all those streets around St Andrews Church), what do they drink ?
the only pubs these days is in town
it mainly full of asians now, maybe thats why
Old 06-01-2008, 19:25   #9

We have the regency, calder, railway, imperial, globe, last orders, platts and the one near the traffic lights at church but think its closed. Miners is closed now and its set to become the new blackburn road car park... sorry i meant A-Z car parts.
Old 06-01-2008, 19:29   #10
God Member

nags head?

I remember my 18th celebration which I joined with my best mate. We started near town and worked along BBurn road. We were lushed by the time we got to teh Antley. By the time we got to church we were bouncing off walls. Good night though!!!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 19:34   #11

Oh yeah that place too lol.
Old 06-01-2008, 20:14   #12

There used to be the miners.until that closed
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 23:01   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
The Last Orders (used to be the George) The Imperial, The Spread Eagle, The Railway, The Calder and the Regency i think thats about it, everything else is closed

oh and Platts is still there

The Oaktree closed a while ago, The Globe is closed too i think, thats been an awful dive as long as i can remember
the Last Orders was the Royal before it became the George, thats the pub steeljack will remember. the Big Crown is long gone sadly. the Nags Head could be classed as one, even though the doors on School Street, for steeljacks benifit the Regency was the Commercial (accy centre) the church one is long gone, as are the Oak Tree, the Antley which became a muslim girls school.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:59   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

So far as Church itself is concerned Only the Thorne left open and rumours are thats to shut in a couple of weeks which will just leave the Club as a watering hole, things are looking dismal!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 13:35   #15
Super Moderator

...and then there's the pubs on the streets off Blackburn Road...the Langs Arms, the Palatine, the Union...cracking little boozers ever one of 'em and all sadly gone.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..