Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2011, 13:03   #1

The Calder, Blackburn Rd

Went into the Calder monday night - after a very long, exhausting day. Some friends were visiting from the Isle of Wight and wanted to take me out for tea. bit limited on a monday night where to go in accy (several options already on the black list), but been told calder was ok.
ok not ! i ordered chicken skewers, friend went for burger, the other for moroccan stew. what absolute diabolical food - skewer was cold/luke warm, burger luke warm and chips flacid/lifeless, stew was very tasty but the bread had been microwaved and would have shattered on impact it was that hard. I took the chicken back to the bar and said it was cold. barman said he'd get it back to me. no, I'll have a fresh one please. obviously hasnt heard of food poisoning !
i'd have thought in these hard times, venues would be making every effort to ensure food went out in an edible manner, good customer service & satisfaction. a happy customer is a returning customer !!
needless i wont be going back
Old 17-11-2011, 13:37   #2
Senior Member+

Re: The Calder, Blackburn Rd

I go in there for a beer but have never eaten in there, heard too many bad stories about the food and people being ill afterwards.
Now you have told us your experience I will deff not be eating in there!!

Cant believe that they were gonna warm your chicken up and give it back to you! What was it like the 2nd time round when they brought you a fresh one you never said?
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 14:20   #3

Warm !! it was edible. ok
Old 17-11-2011, 15:21   #4

been a few times and always been good, had works xmas do there last year & it was excellent, so good we're all going again this year.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 16:06   #5
God Member

Don't ever order anything with Mash if you're eating in the Calder, it's the packet instant mash, its awful
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 16:31   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Don't ever order anything with Mash if you're eating in the Calder, it's the packet instant mash, its awful

don't ever order anything in the calder it's all pre-packed microwaved carp!

that's wetherspoons for you!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 17:40   #7
God Member

The Calder is a Smith & Jones pub Matty lad, are they run by the same company?

Last edited by flashy; 17-11-2011 at 17:45.
Old 17-11-2011, 23:42   #8
Senior Member+

yes they are wetherspoons
Old 17-11-2011, 23:54   #9
Senior Member+

sorry need to be more specific - they are owned by barracuda group set up as firect competition to jdw however the suppliers are the same, the principles are the same and the menu items are pretty much the same - might as well BE wetherspoons. same with all branded pubs. hungry horse,sizzler,harvester,scream,vintage etc etc. all precooked frozen rubbish (apart from grills which is usually the cheapest that can be supplied eg. argentinian beef/steak) bunged in the microwave and slapped on a plate most comes from 3663 or brakes fish from m&j (also frozen) and meat (usually) from fairfax meadow.

I certainly wouldn't pay £6 plus for a micro meal!!!
Old 18-11-2011, 07:10   #10
God Member

Lol i'd forgot you used to run pubs
Old 09-12-2011, 20:52   #11

Well had works xmas do there this evening, so to be festive i had the turkey dinner, bloody disgusting, the turkey was processed crap & it had a most disgusting taste, which I can only assume was it was off. I complained & got a full refund, can fully understand Dusty Mears comments now. I wont be going there again.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 16:26   #12

I've eaten there a few times (as a last resort and normally over a beer or three) and it wasn't that bad. It was pretty basic, but tbh I expected that. Last time I had food there was probably six months ago though, so maybe it's gone downhill since?
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..